SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#127099 - 06/07/05 04:50 AM PSR3000 External Hard Disc Info
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I found myself with a defunct notebook computer containing a 5GB hard disc (formatted Fat32 under windows 98SE).

I found a USB 1.1/2.0 external disc housing (for about 12 pounds stering, which I though was pretty nifty). It can takes power from the USB wire, when using USB 1.1 connection (theres a switch on the case).

Therefore I extracted hard disc (IBM Travelstar), placed in housing, set switch to 1.1 and attached to PSR 3k.

Recognised instantly as a 5 Gig drive. All the files and drives present (from the Win98 installation on the PC) were visible. I used the "Function / Utility / USB Device / Initialiase" function to reformat the drive.

No worries.

So everything seems wonderful now... except the hard disc housing is only suitable for thin (7mm thick) drives, wheras the one I'm using is 12mm think so the housing doesn't re-assemble properly!

So now I'm scouting around for a thin portable hard disc. But at least I am now totally confident that this will work.

I though you all should know!

The hard disc case is an "Argosy HD 522". I think this is no longer in production, but the Argosy USA web site is here: http://www.argosyusa.net/index.asp and the user manual for specific hard disc case shold be available here: http://www.argosyusa.net/manual_result.asp?productname=HD+552&search=Submit

#127100 - 06/07/05 05:43 AM Re: PSR3000 External Hard Disc Info
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good Post. Thanks for the information.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#127101 - 06/17/05 03:19 PM Re: PSR3000 External Hard Disc Info
MacAllcock Offline

So after a couple of weeks of fruitless searching for a 2-5 gig hard disc, I've gone stupid and bought a 20 gig one instead.

And it works fine. I've now got a extremely excessive 18.5 gig (formatted) capacity in which to store Midi Files and Styles. The keyboard recognised and formatted it with no problems.

My XP (SP2) machine recognises it as an external USB Mass Storage Hard Disc device formatted as FAT32.

Fine and Dandy, what!

It's a hard life!

#127102 - 06/17/05 03:20 PM Re: PSR3000 External Hard Disc Info
MacAllcock Offline

And I was lying about that original hard disc that was too thick; it was 17mm thick and I needed 12mm or less!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online