SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#127069 - 10/23/05 08:33 PM Motif ES6 midi playback
leonHoLeon Offline

Loc: singapore
Dear friends...

I have this question here...
I own a motif ES 6. When i playback midi files with it, most of the sounds went haywire.. as in the board didnt playback the correct sound for each track...

This doesnt happen on my PSR2000.
Why issit so? Cos Motif is not an arranger? Anyway to solve this?

#127070 - 10/23/05 08:46 PM Re: Motif ES6 midi playback
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
I think it is because the Motif does not have the GM/XG sounds.
You have to install a special XG card (PLG?) to get them. Then you can not use those sounds on the keyboard to play, but only to use with midi's.
Keith

#127071 - 10/23/05 08:53 PM Re: Motif ES6 midi playback
leonHoLeon Offline

Im able to change the sounds manually, but couldnt seem to save it... the playback sounds really good when the sounds are the correct one...

I sold my PSR2000, abit regret now. sigh.

#127072 - 10/23/05 08:59 PM Re: Motif ES6 midi playback
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yes the Motif series does have a GM bank but for some reason you seem to have to go into the Song/Job menu check the GM box and then initialize and it will play the correct sounds. Well that is how it is on my Motif 6 anyway so it sounds like that hasn't changed on the ES Motif.

I am not sure why you need to jump through hoops to play GM files. It is automatic recognized on my PSR-550.

#127073 - 10/23/05 09:05 PM Re: Motif ES6 midi playback
leonHoLeon Offline

Song/Job menu check the GM box and then initialize and it will play the correct sounds?

Thx Nigel.. i will try it later when i get home...

Ya.. its works perfectly on my PSR2000 too...

#127074 - 10/24/05 12:13 AM Re: Motif ES6 midi playback
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I'm not by my Motif at the moment but I think the GM option is actually in Song/Mixing/Job init setup. Then when the GM box is checked press Enter to actually initialize the MIDI song.

This is how it is on the classic Motif. I am just presuming it may be a similar thing on the ES Motif.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 10-24-2005).]

#127075 - 10/24/05 07:27 AM Re: Motif ES6 midi playback
leonHoLeon Offline

nigel, i tried but still dun work... dunno y... =\
Though i can see from the screen that the sounds were fr GM but still are wrong sounds.
Most obvious is the drums became acoustic piano sound instead...

#127076 - 10/25/05 05:51 PM Re: Motif ES6 midi playback
leonHoLeon Offline

still cant solve it.. so sad.. guess i got to buy a new arranger soon... =\

#127077 - 10/25/05 09:27 PM Re: Motif ES6 midi playback
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Standard GM = patches 0-127

Yamaha Motif GM = patches 1-128

I rarely use the ES to play back midfiles, but I have had the same issues when using it as the sound module for One Man Band software arranger.

I have to use OMB in XG mode as opposed to GM mode, and then it works fine. I think the few XG midifiles I made using my older PSR boards also work fine on the ES, while others using the GM standard do not.

It's a pain but... you can remap the voices and then save as a midifile in the ES. If I recall correctly, just changing the mixer settings isn't enough, as you need to insert midi bank / patch change data into the midifiles tracks, although you could also save mixer "scenes" if you wanted to.

I actually did work on a few midfiles when I had the original Motif, but I did all of the editing in Sonar. For me, it wasn't worth the effort, and my classic Mo had polyphony issues to boot with some of the busier midifiles.

My laptop has the SGM180 soundfont in it ( mine is modified a bit ), which is a very good free standard GM sf. I use it in Live Synth pro which I open as a DX insert in Sonar. It sounds better than the GM voices in the ES, and I no longer have issues with midifiles.

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online