Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#126771 - 09/18/05 07:22 AM Re: Lionstracs Medistation X-76
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
Hi there.
I've been playing keyboards for 26 years and I currently own a Ketron SD1 which I'll be selling shortly and I also have my trusty Roland G1000. I've gone through alsorts in the past both arranger, workstations and synthesisers from numerous manufacturers.
The reason I have gone for the Mediastation is because all of the popular manufacturers seem to churn out keyboards like hot dinners and I'm sick of them all sounding far too similar.
Yamaha do nothing for me whatsoever, they haven't since the V50 years ago, I simply don't like their sounds or styles. Technics never appealed to me, I think Korg should stick to synthesisers, I've had a few Rolands and since the G1000 nothing has ever come close not even the G70. Sorry to you guys who own these but each to their own.
I wanted something totally different. The giga sounds are going to be implemented into the arranger shortly as Lionstracs are working on that, the sounds are spot on as another Mediastation user sent me some MP3's. The instrument links to a PC/Mac and can be updated free of charge via the internet.
I admit I don't like some of the demos on Lionstracs site especially that German bloke freaking out with the organ sounds all the time - not a good demonstrator in my opinion, sorry to say that but check out the ones by Andy from the UK they are far better. Also some demos are pretty old, the newer demos are far better both audio and video.
I do loads of recording on PC so I can create my backing and then play live over the top if I don't want to use the internal styles, keeping the songs on the hard drive (200GB in Mediastation). The options for this instrument are endless and I can customise it to the way I want rather than being dictated by the manufacturers presets and limited editing facilities as found in many other keyboards.
Loads of reasons why I wanted this to be honest and I'm going for the Wersi Ikarus as soon as I sell my Ketron SD1. Wersi and Lionstracs are simply the way to go and cutting edge stuff, other manufacturers should take note before they get left behind.
Whats the point in naming a keyboard Tyros 2 but not really offering that much new? Surely Yamaha users would prefer a totally new design and new hi-tech features rather than a revamp of the last few years technology? I don't mean to upset anyone or other users, but I'm sure there will be people just like me fedup of the big names bringing new instruments out that really do bugger all from the last release lol.

I agree with those sentiments.
All the talk about the mediastation and the use of giga sounds really makes me want to experience it in person. It sounds as if it really is the keyboard I have been looking for.

If the giga sounds really play well on the mediastation and if it can work without crashing or freezing and it is easy to use and customizable, then I think for me at least, that could be my next keyboard.

I wonder how easy is it to carry around?

#126772 - 09/18/05 10:51 AM Re: Lionstracs Medistation X-76
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Craig_UK:
I'm going for the Wersi Ikarus as soon as I sell my Ketron SD1. Wersi and Lionstracs are simply the way to go and cutting edge stuff, other manufacturers should take note before they get left behind.

Unless you need the keyboard, Wersi also makes the EX 1 Expander which has all the facilities of Wersi OAS instruments, and so can be connected via Midi to your Media station, whichever you go for hang on (or negotiate a free upgrade) till OAS 7 arrives (Should be out soon) as OAS 7 moves the Wersi OAS system to a whole new level, and which includes and integrated VST host allowing up to 4 VST instruments to be used simultaneously, (OAS 6 only allows 1 to be used through the inbuilt Cubasis software) and also comes complete with Giga Sampler as standard.
If you like computer based software also have a look at the Venus software from Tornado Music. http://www.tornado-music-shop.de/
I would also be interested to know how the display layouts compare, as from the videos the Media Station display seems a lot more busy.

Bill

#126773 - 09/18/05 11:40 AM Re: Lionstracs Medistation X-76
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
If the giga sounds really play well on the mediastation and if it can work without crashing or freezing and it is easy to use and customizable, then I think for me at least, that could be my next keyboard.

I wonder how easy is it to carry around?

GIGA sounds play just fine on the Lionstracs and you don't even need GIGA software to do so, just GIGA sound files. These sounds play back with the Linuxsampler and once the sound files are loaded onto the Mediastations hard drive, you simply route the sounds to patches under Linuxsampler then store them. Once its all setup selecting sounds is as simple as pushing the respective sound buttons.

I've not had a single crash with the Mediastation and so far it seems to be quite reliable. Lionstracs has programmers who are constantly putting the MS-76 through its paces, fixing bugs, and adding new features so when that new software becomes available, you simply download it and load it into the Mediastation. The biggest benefit of Lionstracs is that they actually listen to what the customer says, what a concept! If you think of a feature that is missing and it can be implemented, chances are Lionstracs will make it happen! Some new features they have coming out will blow your mind.

Carrying the Mediastation X-76 around isn't like carrying a PSR-3000 that's for sure! The Mediastation weighs quite a bit because its built out of steel and the music keyboard isn't some cheap flimsy one, its a nice feeling semi weighted action. These things all add to the weight so if you aren't into lugging around a heavy keyboard, the Mediastation isn't for you. The Mediastation is lighter than my Wersi Abacus though.

#126774 - 09/18/05 03:15 PM Re: Lionstracs Medistation X-76
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
I'm certain someone mentioned that you can also play G1000 and G70 styles in the Mediastation by converting them using EMC styleworks. I'd imagine other makes can be converted as well, so my G1000 styles will come in handy since I have almost 2000 of them lol
I would like to see a bass inversion implemented into the arranger as I know there wasn't one at present. Loads of songs eg. Whiter shade of pale where the bass runs down wouldn't work as going from a c chord to e minor then a minor would give c e and a bass rather than the c b a run down - you guys know what I mean. That's nothing you can't work around though so no big loss.
Also I'm not sure if it has the harmony/melody on chord features that the likes of Ketron use. I love the way the SD1 fills out the notes when the harmony button is pressed. I rarely use it that much but it is effective for some songs with string sounds. Also the way you can use the volume pedal on the SD1 to alter guitar sound fx would be nice if the Mediastation had something similar. I'm sure that same FX could be used with the mod wheels anyway and giga sounds for more realism. I suppose the arranger functions will get better with newer releases, but from what I've been told they are on par with other manufacturers already.
Does anyone know if the strat 56 giga library works with the Mediastation, some great guitars and the sounds of the shadows etc. but I want to make sure before I buy it.
Gigastudio 3 orchestra should be here Tuesday, that looks amazing.
Well can't wait for Mediastation to arrive this week, will let you peeps know what I think asap.
By the way Domenico and Andy Spiller are amazing at Lionstracs, they answer my e-mails straight away and Andy even rang me up giving me the ins and outs - I've never had someone from the likes of Roland or Ketron do that! Thumbs up for both of them

#126775 - 09/18/05 10:55 PM Re: Lionstracs Medistation X-76
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Ensnareyou & Craig UK;

Thank-you for sharing your thoughts. The implementation of using giga sample sounds in the style section is unique and could raise the bar on realistic accompaniment parts if it works well. I know that one can use EMS style works to convert other companies styles, but I have been told that the conversions don't end up as good as the originals, or either require a lot of tweaking to get them close. Ensnare you, have you tried any conversions and is this true?

Styles section---it is difficult to determine the quality and complexity of the styles as well as intros, fills & endings from the lionstracs videos.

Can either of you explain the newly added feature--audio/midi arranger ?

Ensnareyou--which do you like better the Abacus or X-76 better and why?

PS--the other difficulty I found in trying to learn more about the X-76 is that data from their web page is minimal. In the past I had requested a manual from lionstracs in order learn more about the keyborad, but they told me that they did not have one. It was somewhat dissapointing considering every other manufacturer has PDFs of their manuals online.

Regards;
BlkNotes

#126776 - 09/20/05 03:01 AM Re: Lionstracs Medistation X-76
Craig_UK Offline

I've just looked at the Tornado music system and the demos, the link is above posted by abacus. Watching the demos brings tears to my eyes, it's soooooo painfull. They are very poor quality and the persons playing for a demonstration is dreadfull.
Why do these lesser known companies always get a player with limited abilities to demonstrate? The 'Simply the Best' demo has to be the worst I've ever heard on the internet. Wrong chords etc totally out of time.......
I'll give that one a miss lol

#126777 - 09/20/05 05:06 AM Re: Lionstracs Medistation X-76
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
It's been over a year since the x-76 has been out and as yet we have not seen one thorough, impartial review of this keyboard.

Can someone please write an impartial review of the Lionstracs x-76 keyboard and translate to english. I so much want to believe in this board, but the lack of reviews and users here makes me uncomfortable.

Anyone?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#126778 - 09/20/05 03:23 PM Re: Lionstracs Medistation X-76
Filipe Tomas Offline

Hi again friend´s, I´m playing B4 inside my Mediastation. Domenico configures remotely my keyboard, and now i can play some preset´s from B4 ORGAN sound´s. I don´t have comment´s to the sound of B4, just a incridble sound, like the people know. I can move slider´s off MS and control directly B4. I Hope that can post more news again.

Best regard´s music friend´s !!!

#126779 - 09/20/05 04:23 PM Re: Lionstracs Medistation X-76
Craig_UK Offline

As I've posted elsewhere on here, I only have a few more days to wait until my Mediastation arrives (can't wait lol).
I'll let all you peeps on here know what it's like from a hands on view regarding the sounds, styles, giga sounds etc.
The B4 looks amazing and with the likes of the Bosendorfer piano, Steinway stuff and synth sounds this is going to be one hot instrument.
Also remember that you can use this as a synthesiser and have the arranger in reserves. I'm going to use the arranger when I play in the clubs for sing a long nights and then use the synth and plug ins with the duo I'm in. MP3 backing tracks, playing live with giga sounds over the top, arranger if I need it....... this list is endless. No more need to carry a separate arranger and synth, this has it all in one case - WOW

#126780 - 09/21/05 01:44 AM Re: Lionstracs Medistation X-76
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Craig
If you can’t wait to try the B4 then you can download a trial version from the Native Instruments Website. (It also works as a computer stand-alone unit)
Wersi also have good organ sounds, but interestingly the most popular VST Soft Synth that Wersi players use in their instruments, is the B4. (Although I feel next year that the Real Guitar ( http://www.timespace.com/realguitar.asp ) VST Soft Synth will match this)
As for sound, I have heard much emulation of Hammonds over the years, and can say without doubt that the B4 is the closest you can get next to the Real thing.

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 09-21-2005).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online