SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#126527 - 10/01/05 02:10 AM What's voices / oscillators on Korg Spec
dschultze Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Everyone,

Why do all of the Korg PA1X specs say 62 voices, 62 oscillators?

I understand that voices relate to the polyphony but what are the 62 oscillators? And why are they quoted?

Do they make any difference to the sound?

Thanks all

David.

#126528 - 10/01/05 05:31 AM Re: What's voices / oscillators on Korg Spec
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Korg uses osillators[sound sources] to make a voice[patch/tone]..Most of the better sounds on the Korg are two osillator [composite]tones..
If you play a two osillator tone, you are actually using 2 polyphony for each key you press,yielding half of the maxinum polyphony[31]..
You can see how important it is to have good voice allocation[voice priority]. Especially playing full arrangement[style], or sequences played with a live part..

#126529 - 10/01/05 08:36 AM Re: What's voices / oscillators on Korg Spec
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
That was a good question. I have one related to this as well. If some voices have two oscillators, how man oscillators can a user voice have? Also what parameters can be adjusted within each oscillator, and can a velocity curve be set between oscillators?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#126530 - 10/01/05 09:28 AM Re: What's voices / oscillators on Korg Spec
Fran Carango Offline

Question #1...two.
Question #2....lots as found on top models.
Question #3...yes

#126531 - 10/01/05 09:32 AM Re: What's voices / oscillators on Korg Spec
dschultze Offline

hmmmm. So in theory does that mean that the PA1X could actually be clasified as 124 note polyphony?

I'm just trying to work this out but would it be right to say that you could play 62 notes (events I guess if we want to go technical) at once each with 2 underlying oscillators.

If we were to switch this to other manufacturer speak is this the same as 62 notes of dual layer sounds? If that's the case then the Korg is therefore no different in polyphony than anyone else and does indeed have a 124 note polyphony machine.

I hope this makes sense - I'm trying to get my head round it myself.

:-)

#126532 - 10/01/05 09:46 AM Re: What's voices / oscillators on Korg Spec
squeak_D Offline

Well I'd prefer at least 4 oscillators. Two just seems a bit small. Especially on a board with that price. The PA1X costs more than some synths. For that price they should offer more oscillators. The Casio MZ-2000 had 4 oscillators per voice. At least you can adjust velocity curves between the two oscillators though.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#126533 - 10/01/05 10:49 AM Re: What's voices / oscillators on Korg Spec
Fran Carango Offline

No, the maxinum polyphony is 62...that is 62 with single osillator sounds and 31 polyphony with dual osillator sounds...You are calculating the wrong way..

#126534 - 10/01/05 11:01 AM Re: What's voices / oscillators on Korg Spec
Fran Carango Offline

Squeak ,I think you are confusing osillators with partials[partials being a tone that is layered or velocity switched].The MZ 2000 is 64 voice, and most of the good patches are reduced to 32 voice polyphony..

Osillators are combined to make a tone..
Rolands JV/XV are simular..4 tones make a patch..You can additionally combine patches though on the Roland structure..Likewise with Korg[combine]..

#126535 - 10/01/05 11:32 AM Re: What's voices / oscillators on Korg Spec
dschultze Offline

Ah OK. Thanks for bearing with me Fran.

So if I understand this right you can have 62 notes or events at one time.

If you're using 2 oscillators for all the sounds (not saying you would but for the purposes of calculating) you can only play 31 notes or events at one time.

So in theory there's no benefit in mentioning the oscillators as you'd always run on of polyphony before (or at the same time) as you'd run out of oscillators. This would only be a worthwhile stat if the PA1X had more polyphony - then you could run out of oscillators before you run out of polyphony.

Is that correct now? I think what's throwing me is that I don't see the point of mentioning the oscillators!

#126536 - 10/01/05 11:45 AM Re: What's voices / oscillators on Korg Spec
squeak_D Offline

So are you saying the Korg PA1X can have up to 4 (tones) or (patches) per user voice? I've always known for this to be referred to oscillators per voices or (elements) per voice. If you go by elements the Casio allowed up to (4) (tones) per user voice.

Squeak

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online