SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#126523 - 08/25/01 02:17 PM Synth or arranger????
merlin2812 Offline

Hey everyone, I just watched the video on the motif8, and really got impressed by the gear... I beleave it's a synth, so, I was wondering about the differences between an arranger and a synthetiser... To be practical, let's talk about the Yamaha PSR9000 pro and the Motif8. What can you do with one that you can't do with the other? Wich one for wich musician??? Without any knowledge, I would go for the Motif, wich is cheaper, has 88 notes and a hammer action !!! Thanks for your help!!!!

Merlin

#126524 - 08/25/01 03:49 PM Re: Synth or arranger????
Nimrod Offline

I'm on a bit of a shopping spree myself, and I too would like to know how good this MOTIF is. Were Is The Video demo Merlin? - Link??

It would also be interesting to see if the Motif has the same SOLOIST sounds of the Yamaha Pro 9000. I wonder. It has a fully fledged sequencer I believe, and could (virtually) hold its own against some stand alone Samplers - with the ability to play back Sample Library files, and auto map them etc.

However, when it all comes down to it, it is the sound of the presets themselves that would appeal to me if they were good.

Would I buy the MOTIF? Well, the following keyboards are on my shopping list:

1. Yamaha Pro 9000
2. Technics KN6500
3. Korg PA80
4. Roland VA76

So then, is the Motif up to scratch? - And does it compare to the above-mentioned keyboards for sounds alone? (It’s not an arranger as we all probably know, but since I do a lot of sequencing, and play from home - it is SOUND that is of utmost importance to me. Is the PIANO AS GOOD (important to me) as any of the above mentioned keyboards? It has been said that the Piano sample derives from the Yamaha Pro 9000 itself. Well, how good is this anyway?

Next... Soloist sounds . I wonder? Could you expect sweet Trumpet, sweet Strings, and Cool Sax....on a synthesizer?? - And be as good as (not nearly - but AS GOOD as) a Yamaha Pro for example? It would be very nice if they where - very nice indeed. A great "Oboe" soloist on a Yamaha Synth? - I wonder again.

All the keyboards I listed above, if you notice, are of the arranger kind. This is OK, but most of my work - as I said, will be that of sequencing, and I will make Rhythms and styles up myself as I go (not easy, but very possible). 76 notes - or 88 would be very welcome, as I have £2500 to spend - and that is about $3700,

So then, an all-in-one keyboard that can do it all? - Maybe not, but Quality sounds, along with a good Piano sample, and great soloist sounds should help me decide that it may be a good option over an arranger keyboard. If the Motif can, at least, match the sounds on the above-mentioned arrangers (or at least the best of them that you would use often - like Piano/Sax/Electric Piano/Strings/Oboe/Trumpet etc. then I may just be sold to one!

Andrew

#126525 - 08/25/01 05:23 PM Re: Synth or arranger????
Arbaz Offline

If I had $3500 to spend I would have gotten PA-80 and Motif to have the best of both worlds, Motif alone ?? is questionable especially if you are a home user like me, cause in Motif you have to create everything from scratch, from bass line to ACC parts it is not easy as arranger boards in which everything follows your chord changes. Motif sounds much and I mean much better than 9000 pro it is the best out there especially if you consider the price and offered features. and Piano is great in Motif and so are the other sounds, the video can be watched at http://trio.harmony-central.com/ramgen/SNAMM01/Yamaha-MOTIF.rm you will need real player.

[This message has been edited by Arbaz (edited 08-25-2001).]

#126526 - 08/25/01 06:06 PM Re: Synth or arranger????
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The Motif has the same acoustic piano as the 9000pro and the seet flute and a nylon string guitar. There are a few other sounds from the 9000pro but other than that these sounds are mostly from the EX5 library. The way to explain the difference is more in the editing functions. The Motif has a much larger palate of editing options and controllers than the 9000pro. Also the sequencer is much more pro in it's editing capabilities. There is also a 16 track pattern sequencer with 8 sections and up to 256 measures per pattern. Summing it up, i would say if you need arrangement styles to play with the left hand you buy the 9000 pro and if you need a great studio tool for the really serious musician you buy the Motif.
If anyone is interested, I carry and sell both and I just received 2 Motif 8's and 2 Motif 6's Friday. The Motif's have been really hard to get here in the US because of popularity and bang for the buck.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online