SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#126304 - 05/09/03 09:32 AM Re: More thoughts on my KP-100S
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Another important factor: how much did the replacement woofers cost, and has anyone asked Motion Sound if replacing the woofers would void the amp's warranty?

Also IMHO, my KP-200s easily handles small jobs as well as large and I do not find it cumbersome (I'm 6' and pretty strong though). It fits in the back seat of my two-door VW Cabrio easily.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 05-09-2003).]

#126305 - 05/09/03 09:34 AM Re: More thoughts on my KP-100S
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Wouldn't a KP200s solve all this in the first place, instead of buying New Speakers for a "Brand New Amp"?

Nope. The KP200S is still significantly larger (bulkier) and heavier. Donny, as you yourself have mentioned, for gigging musicians who need to transport their equipment daily, the smaller & lighter the load the better. I find the KP-200S a bit too large (awkward) to handle easily for one man. The smaller & lighter KP-100S, on the other hand, is significantly easier to lift in/out of the trunk of my car.

KP-200S:
H 17" W 23" D (at center) 16.75" 55 Lbs.

KP-100S:
H 15" W 19" D (at center) 13" 38 Lbs.

KP-100S with Beakybirds's Woofers 43 Lbs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:

Could the KP200s be used for small as well as larger gigs/jobs?
Starkeeper

Yes, of course, but because I want to always travel as 'light as possible', I reserve my KP-100S for the smaller venues and just take the EV SxA100's to the larger ones.

Scott

#126306 - 05/09/03 10:44 AM Re: More thoughts on my KP-100S
Beakybird Offline

The gig went well this morning. I noticed more bass and this pleased me. As far as overall volume - it is the same, or maybe even less. I can't tell. I played in a wide room at a state nursing home. I had the volume up all the way on the amp, but the volume on the keyboard which feeds the amp volume was 3/5 to full volume. If you own the PSR2000, I had the volume at at 1:00 as if it were a clock. I was playing pretty loud for the room. Any louder and I might have had complaints. However, I was never astounded with the overall volume of the amp. I will have a better idea of any volume difference when I return to my weekly gig on Monday.

I didn't notice any difference with the midrange, just improved bass response.

It was super easy to replace the speakers. All you need is a screwdriver. The wires are held with banana clips. It's a no-brainer.

Given that the KP-100S manual mentions speaker replacement and merely specifies that if the speaker is replaced that it be with an 8 ohm speaker, I would think that the warranty still holds.

The new speakers weigh about 2 lbs more apiece. I don't notice the extra four pounds.

The KP-100S would not be suitable for large gigs no matter what the configuration because 100watts is 100watts. If you need more volume than that then you have hit an obstacle. With my business I only have one job on the horizon where I'm going to need to rent two 100 watt Yorkvilles for $18 at this place around the corner. Yes their rental rates are wonderful.

The KP-200S would not be suitable for me because it is so rare that I would need the extra volume. My amp as it is configured probably gets better bass than the KP-200S. The KP-200S is heavier and more bulky. If I did bigger gigs, then I might own both Motion Sound ampsor own a pair of powered monitors to compliment the KP-100S for the smaller gigs.

At 42lbs., the KP-100S is still pretty heavy. It's a lot more weight than my 23lb. JBL Eon, and the JBL pumped out more volume. But I think the Motion Sound sounds better, and it spreads the sound over a wider horizon. The people on the far sides of the room hear the music better than with a mono speaker.

Beakybird

#126307 - 05/29/03 12:00 AM Re: More thoughts on my KP-100S
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Based on Larry's (Beakybird) recommendation, I ordered, received, and installed the improved 8" OEM Eminence speakers in my Motion Sound KP-100S. I'm pretty amazed at the substantially improved bass response. My finding results matches exactly as Larry described earlier. Beakybird: MANY thanks for both recommending the KP-100S and now these upgraded woofers which make the KP-100S an even more improved pro sounding all in one stereo pa for all small-medium gigs. I utilized the KP-100S alone with my Tyros today for a local society luncheon (solo vocals & arr combo (piano, bass, drums) performing acoustic jazz standards: Cole Porter, Gershwin, etc and it produced a natural acoustic sound filling the room with a warm sounding acoustic bass with pleasingly realistic bass punch. Several people in the audience approached me to comment how impressed they were that such a small PA unit could create such a pleasing acoustic jazz trio sound. In addition to the new woofers, the KP100S's expander provides the impression that the sound of the different instruments (bass, drums, piano, vocals) is coming from different areas in the room rather than from the speaker cabinet itself. This gives the sound a nice spacious open feeling.

Though the KP100S is now 5 lbs heavier with the new woofers, Transport & setup time is still quite convenient, as the KP100S sits perfectly on the large 19" X 12" nose plate of my "Superlite" hand truck:
http://www.pstco.com/superlite_cobra.htm

The only inconvenience involved is lifting it in/out of my car and onto the handtruck.

It's really ez and quick to get my equipment to/from my car to gig venues. The Tyros is wheeled in in its own keyboard case which includes built in wheels, while the KP100S and all other equipment (stacked on top) can be wheeled in on the SuperLite truck in one trip. The KP100S sits on a small portable amp stand angled off the floor. I like that gig equip transport keeps getting easier. - Scott

#126308 - 05/29/03 12:19 AM Re: More thoughts on my KP-100S
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yes I can understand size restriction. I play guitar and keyboards in a band and carry both a keyboard amp ( Wharfdale 200 Watt ) and a guitar amp ( Fender Hot Rod Deluxe ) plus keyboard and 2 guitars in my Camaro Z28. Whenever I buy any gear it is critical that it is going to fit in with everything. I'm not buying another car just to carry gear ... and I DO like to drive that Camaro.

#126309 - 05/29/03 07:16 AM Re: More thoughts on my KP-100S
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Nigel

Where can I find info on the Wharfedale keyboard amp?

Thanx

Scott

#126310 - 05/29/03 07:26 AM Re: More thoughts on my KP-100S
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
FYI,
Home Depot has the Superlight dolly here in Lousiana.
DonM

#126311 - 05/30/03 12:58 AM Re: More thoughts on my KP-100S
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
As I replied to you in http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/006541.html the Wharfedale Pro I use for keyboard is a powered PA box and not a keyboard amp. But it provides the power and frequency response I need in a compact sized cabinet.

#126312 - 05/30/03 05:09 AM Re: More thoughts on my KP-100S
trtjazz Offline

FWIW, I went to the hardware store and bought a set of four wheels, installed them on the bottom of my KP 200 and it rolls around fine, instead of lifting or dragging it anywhere. If you want it to angle up, then put 1" on the back side and 3 or 4" on the front.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#126313 - 01/04/04 10:55 AM Re: More thoughts on my KP-100S
Dnj Offline

Scott & others .....

I was wondering how this amp has been working out after all this time good or bad?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online