SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#126008 - 03/15/04 10:03 AM A day with Scott Yee & Friends
Richard Peck Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit with Scott and several SynthZone members.

Scott performed for a group in Avila Beach California. As I was in southern California I motored up to see what he was up to.It was worth the 360 mile drive.

He is an accomplished piano player/vocalist. It was a rare opportunity to see how others use their keyboards. Frosting on the cake was meeting several other zone members face to face.

In the course of his concert Scott introduced a guest clarinet player and the two of them made some really nice music.

Scotts use of his keyboard demonstated the diversity available with an arranger keyboard. Talking to the other zone members was a great opportunity to see how they used their boards. I'm hoping I can make the San Jose meeting to expand my horizons and learn more from this talented group of people.

Have a great day!

rp

#126009 - 03/15/04 10:15 AM Re: A day with Scott Yee & Friends
Dnj Offline

Sounds like a great time. I always urge SZ members to try to meet each other also, Its a great experience. Any pics to show us?

#126010 - 03/15/04 12:47 PM Re: A day with Scott Yee & Friends
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
I’d like to second what Richard Peck had to say about Scott’s performance. It was very well done and very enjoyable. Thanks for that treat, Scott! And many thanks to Frank Bez and his organ club for arranging this event and for their hospitality in making us (non- members) feel so welcome.

My wife and I and two friends drove up from the Santa Barbara area (about 100 miles south of Avila). One of the friends that came with us had recently purchased a Tyros and was interested in meeting Scott and hearing him perform. The other friend is the sax/clarinet player (Art Larsen) who Scott met at our home last year during our jam session the day after Scott’s previous concert in Avila.

When Scott heard that Art would be coming up with us, he asked Art to bring along his clarinet and play a few numbers with him. So that was very enjoyable listening as well. I’ve had the good fortune of being able to gig with Art on a number of occasions in the Santa Barbara area and can attest to his fine musical talents.

It was a real pleasure meeting Synthzone member Richard Peck. He was kind enough to bring along his new Bose PAS system and set it up so we could hear it. It’s a very impressive system, both visually and acoustically. Unfortunately, I really didn’t have the opportunity to make a personal judgement about the sound quality of the stereo samples from Scott’s Tyros being played through the PAS. I would like to have heard an A/B comparison between the PAS and Scott’s stereo EV setup, but time did not permit.

It was nice meeting up with our friends Eric and Claudia Bott from Ventura as well.
We originally met them through Synthzone a couple of years ago when Andrea (Dreamer) was in town. They evidently made a weekend of it in the Pismo/Avila Beach area.

We took a few photos, but Scott’s companions did as well. So I’m sure when Scott gets back to San Francisco he will be posting some of his photos on his website.

Paul C.

#126011 - 03/17/04 09:06 PM Re: A day with Scott Yee & Friends
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Gang, finally made it back to the (SF) Bay Area after a great weekend trip down the coast of California to scenic Avila Beach to put on my 2nd annual show for the Central Coast Organ & Keyboard Club. Thanks to Synthzone buddy Frank Bez for arranging this gig a second year in a row for me. I really love intimate concert 'shows' vs bar/lounge venues because the audience come specifically to sit down & actively listen. No alcohol, food, or other sideshow distractions. This was a particularly enjoyable gig because I had the opportunity to play/sing with the talented jazz clarinetist, Art Larsen. As Paul Curzan stated, I had the honor of meeting & playing with him last year down in Santa Barbara. Many thanks to Paul for the introduction. Just in case you guys are interested, here're the songs Art & I peformed together. We never actually formally rehearsed the tunes. I've found that the real 'show stopping magic' of a successful concert is often the live unrehearsed spontaneous musical interaction between the musicians. Just in case you're interested, here are the songs we performed together:

1) Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans
2) Caravan (Duke Ellington)
3) Bill Bailey (Won't You Come Home)
4) A Day in The Life of A Fool (Manha de Carnaval)

Other songs I performed myself included: Route 66, Embraceable You, Sway, Danny Boy, Jambalaya, Night and Day, Witchcraft, Cattle Call, I'm An Old Cowhand, Poor Side of Town, Crazy Love, Hawaiian Sunset.

In addition to the show itself, I had a wonderful time going out to dinner the night before with with Synthzone buddies: Frank Bez, Eric Bott & his wife & talented vocalist Claudia, seeing Paul Curzan and his lovely wife Evelina, as well as finally having the privilege of meeting Richard Peck who not only drove over 360 miles to attend, but brought his Bose PAS along as well, giving me the rare opportunity to audition it (and A/B compare it with my EV SxA100's) in my concert room venue before my gig. I will be offering my candid personal comparative analysis on a 'separate' thread. I also had the chance to hear Richard run thru a few of his arranger renditions of some classic songs played by him on my Tyros before my show. His organ playing background was appreciated. Richard, hope you'll take the time to post some of these (MP3 format) on Synthzone.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Any pics to show us?

Ok, here are a couple of quick snaps taken of the above Synthzone friends taken that day. Unfortunately most of the pics taken by my camera didn't come out very well, so here is one taken with Paul's camera and one taken with mine.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scottyee@pacbell.net/detail?.dir=/b2d7&.dnm=c7c1.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scottyee@pacbell.net/detail?.dir=/b2d7&.dnm=1049.jpg

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-17-2004).]

#126012 - 03/17/04 09:27 PM Re: A day with Scott Yee & Friends
Dnj Offline

Scott, sounds like you had a great time and made some new friends and hats a real nice thing. Thanx for the great pics also!!!

#126013 - 03/18/04 01:31 AM Re: A day with Scott Yee & Friends
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Richard Peck who not only drove over 360 miles to attend, but brought his Bose PAS along as well, giving me the rare opportunity to audition it (and A/B compare it with my EV SxA100's) in my concert room venue before my gig. I will be offering my candid personal comparative analysis on a 'separate' thread.

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/008658.html

#126014 - 03/18/04 10:47 AM Re: A day with Scott Yee & Friends
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Scott,

Claudia and I had a great time too.
We enjoyed your concert thoroughly. You and Art were great together. It felt like you have been doing this together for a while.

It was also great having dinner with you and Frank, so we could get a chance meeting you more on a personal level.

Thanks for posting those great pics.
Looks like you and I are the babies in the photo.

I wish we would have had more time testing those Bose speakers.
Thank you again Richard for the effort to bring them to the gig.

Looking forward seeing you all in May again.

Eric

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online