SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#125876 - 06/28/07 10:24 AM Anyone tried REX files with an arranger and laptop?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
REX files are pre-sliced loops, with MIDI files that play them back EXACTLY as they were recorded, except, of course, you can change the tempo with no artifacts...

It has occurred to me that most of the so-called 'Live' loops that Ketron's and others use are essentially the same thing. So if you create a style that uses these MIDI files as triggers for the loop slices, and these get imported either to a laptop sampler, or even the internal sampler of your arranger (if it has one), your arranger will now do 'live' loops even without the capability built in.

Especially for the dance crowd (but also smooth jazz, acid jazz, and even straight-ahead - there are loops in just about ANY format!) this seems a fairly simple way to add 'live' loop capability.

The only caveat is that the MIDI files to trigger the loops MUST be on a non-transposing arranger track (or all hell breaks loose!). So this is one more reason to try to pressure your arranger manufacturer into providing more than one Drum Track (which ARE non-transposing), or even better, especially for the hiphop crowd, allow a tag to make ANY track optionally non-transposing...

So, are there any out there that have tried this, yet?

#125877 - 06/28/07 03:03 PM Re: Anyone tried REX files with an arranger and laptop?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi diki,
luv to know where I can find some more info on Rex files. Never heard of them before.

I'm using wav audio drum loops called "Real Drums" in BIAB & Power Tracks 12, are Rex files similar?

SD1 has the option of loading a wav drum loop & syncing to style or are you referring to the Ketron Live Drums? I've never quite been able to work them out?

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#125878 - 06/28/07 10:33 PM Re: Anyone tried REX files with an arranger and laptop?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Diki,
all I can comment for now is that Ketron arrangers (like the SD1 or the Midjay) do have two drum tracks and this could lend support to your idea that they use some kind of REX loops (albeit Ketron calls them "Grooves" or grv. files).
Incidentally, the Midjay has a section called "DJ Loop" that contains pre-recorded loops that are really similar to styles, because they have an intro, four sections (A,B,C,D), a fill, a break and an ending. You can play them in sync with an external arranger (according to Ketron they work better with the SD5, where they can even replace the drum track). The best part is that Ketron has (on their website) a program that enables you to create your own DJ Loops starting from loops like the Acid; then you can import them into the Midjay, via USB, and use them together with an external style. The only drawback is that those DJ Loops don't follows tempo changes, and this means that the external arranger must be set at their original tempo. I have tried to play them together with the rhytm section of my Tyros 2 and the result is very interesting; even more interesting, however, is to play a Midjay style using only the drum tracks, because then you are not limited to a preset time. Moreover, this way you can merge the presence and liveliness of the Ketron drums with the beautiful Megavoices of the Tyros.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 06-29-2007).]

#125879 - 06/28/07 11:34 PM Re: Anyone tried REX files with an arranger and laptop?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Rikki
Here is some info on REX files. http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_rex_files/

Hi Dikki
Most Upper level Arrangers have 2 drum tracks that don’t transpose these days; (Although they are sometimes called Percussion) therefore there is no need to put pressure on the manufactures.

Bill

#125880 - 06/29/07 12:54 AM Re: Anyone tried REX files with an arranger and laptop?
to the genesys Offline

The Genesys has been able to do that. I think some Gem keyboards from the late 90s could have done that also. You would have to load them as wave samples. Also, all 8 tracks in the style parts on the Genesys could, if you want them to, be use as drum tracks that don't transpose.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 06-29-2007).]

#125881 - 06/29/07 08:02 AM Re: Anyone tried REX files with an arranger and laptop?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
all 8 tracks in the style parts on the Genesys could, if you want them to, be use as drum tracks that don't transpose. [This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 06-29-2007).]

VERY cool.... now are the other manufacturers listening?

It can't be hard to use the code for the drum track on ANY track... This isn't useful JUST for REX files. How about multiple drum tracks? How about separate drum and percussion tracks? How about sound effects? How about trigger tracks for a 'Guitar Mode'? For all the hiphop and rap guys, how about melodic elements that DON'T transpose (an essential part of hiphop production)?

This feature seems SO useful, and SO simple to implement, it makes me wonder why so few can do it (and I'm not just talking TWO drum tracks, but as many as you want,,,,)

#125882 - 06/29/07 08:16 AM Re: Anyone tried REX files with an arranger and laptop?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
For all the hiphop and rap guys, how about melodic elements that DON'T transpose (an essential part of hiphop production)?

Diki, so good to see you lobbying for the needs of the Hip-hop guys. Kindred spirits, huh. Yeah, I think I heard some elements of it in the tune you posted.

chas

PS: Just spoofing you, Diki. Keep those complaints and suggestions coming. Who knows, someone might actually be listening.

#125883 - 06/29/07 03:09 PM Re: Anyone tried REX files with an arranger and laptop?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Bill,
I'll check it out.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by abacus:
[B]Hi Rikki
Here is some info on REX files. http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_rex_files/

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#125884 - 06/29/07 03:42 PM Re: Anyone tried REX files with an arranger and laptop?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
VERY cool.... now are the other manufacturers listening?

It can't be hard to use the code for the drum track on ANY track... This isn't useful JUST for REX files. How about multiple drum tracks? How about separate drum and percussion tracks? How about sound effects? How about trigger tracks for a 'Guitar Mode'? For all the hiphop and rap guys, how about melodic elements that DON'T transpose (an essential part of hiphop production)?

This feature seems SO useful, and SO simple to implement, it makes me wonder why so few can do it (and I'm not just talking TWO drum tracks, but as many as you want,,,,)

I guess if other manufacturers don't have that, that would explain why some people have a hard time understanding when I say using styles and arrangers is very good for hip hop.

#125885 - 06/29/07 08:06 PM Re: Anyone tried REX files with an arranger and laptop?
Diki Offline

Thanks chas...!

We do some hiphop and rap production at the studio, but it doesn't fit at all with the clientele I play live for, and the world definitely doesn't need a 50 year old white rapper from England (or does it??!)...

But I like my machines to be flexible... It's the main reason I've hung on to my K2500 this long (over 12 years). You got ANY sick twisted idea about a sound or setup, the K will do it..! I just wish they made an arranger as flexible.

#125886 - 06/30/07 03:28 AM Re: Anyone tried REX files with an arranger and laptop?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
and the world definitely doesn't need a 50 year old white rapper from England (or does it??!)...

I don't know, Diki. If you can talk as fast as you can write you might have a future in rap .

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online