SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#125852 - 10/21/05 05:55 AM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
ccdmax Offline

Loc: South Jersey
Scott,
Open up your internet explorer, go to:
Tools ---> Internet Options ---> Programs and click on Manage Add-ons
Check carefully all the installed software add-ons for IE and remove anything that looks suspicious.
There is a posibility that you just have a "buggy" add-on installed by the sesion you had yesterday.

cheers

------------------
Yamaha PSR9000, PSR730, Korg Karma, X5D, Yamaha Tyros2 and Korg PA1X Pro on it's way smile

#125853 - 10/21/05 07:53 AM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Scott:
I sorta had this problem about a month ago, I finally noticed that when any webb page was just sitting idle, The bits per sec incoming was running crazy, hold your cursor on and get a numbers count, go off for a sec and come back, if the count is going up, your probably bugged. or its downloading updates or something. My case it was trojan....Pose

#125854 - 10/21/05 11:06 AM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Do a search for an Internet speed test site to make sure your connection is operating at proper speed.
If you have recently added or enabled a Java plug in this will also slow your connection down.
Follow the instructions that ccdmax suggested, but do it from within safe mode, as certain add ons can be hidden in normal mode.
You say the restore feature fails to work, which means it is possible that there is a virus or spy ware in the System Restore folder, if you are sure that the System Restore feature does not work correctly, then disable it, and do another virus and software scan.
You can re-enable System Restore once you are sure the computer is clean.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#125855 - 10/24/05 06:04 PM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks to everyone that replied for your suggestions. Though none of these was able to fix the page load completion delay problem I'm still having with IE 6.0. Thanks to KeithB & Mike Sutliff's recommendation, I installed Mozilla Firefox version 1.07 as my alternative web browser and (for whatever reason), the delayed page load completion problem that I've been experiencing with Internet Explorer 6 is not happening with Firefox. The problem thus appears to specific to my IE6 program.

It's my understanding that IE is integrally a part of the Windows XP OS. I look in Windows Control Panel: add/remove programs, and find no de-install icon for Internet Explorer. Must IE continue to reside on my PC even I no longer wish to use it? Is there any way to de-install Windows IE, and then re-install it again (with the Windows XP CD)?

Ok, one more important question: when I go to my website's homepage: http://scottyee.com

my music (.wma file) automatically begins playing when viewed using IE, yet when I access the same page via Mozilla Firefox 1.07, the music won't play. Is there some setting in Firefox that needs to be made for inbedded webpage music (.wma format)to play?

Thanks. - Scott

#125856 - 10/24/05 07:48 PM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
I sent Scott an email regarding this but figured y'all might find this info useful.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206213

Still digging for the slow IE load times. First thought was spyware but he's run two different scans and they both come back clean.

-mike

#125857 - 10/24/05 08:05 PM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Scott

As far as I know, you can not get rid of IE from your computer. And you do not want to!

There are some websites that only load properly in IE, maybe 5% of the websites, or less. But you need to keep IE to open those odd sites. Maybe your banking site, or whatever.

In fact, I recommend the Firefox extension "Open Page in IE". Once you install this extension in Firefox, it lets you right click a link and choose to open it in Internet Explorer, instead of Firefox. Very useful for those odd pages that won't load correctly in Firefox.

There are many, many excellent extensions available for Firefox. Spend some time choosing the ones that will help you the most. I like Image Zoom, Tiny URL Creator, Down Them All, Print Preview, and more.

Tom G.

#125858 - 10/25/05 12:00 AM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
I sent Scott an email regarding this but figured y'all might find this info useful.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206213

Hi Mike: I went ahead and installed the following three Windows Media plug-ins, and put them into the Firefox 1.07 plug-ins folder as directed. C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

1. npdsplay.dll

2. npwmsdrm.dll

3. npdrmv2.dll

Also, as per the instructions in the link you provided, installed the following Mozilla Active X Plug-in:
# Firefox 1.0.7: http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozactivex-ff-107.xpi

In addition, both the 3 Windows Media Plug-Ins & Active X Plug-in were confirmed to be working properly in FireFox 1.07 when I ran the following tests:

Windows Media Plug-in Test

ActiveX Plug-in Test

After performing the above, and returning to my website hompage again using Firefox 1.07, my .wma song file still does not automatically play, yet when I load the same page using IE6, it automatically plays fine. I'm perplexed. Any more ideas anyone?

I'm hoping others here with Firefox 1.07 browser installed will please try linking to my website homepage, http://scottyee.com
and report back if my music (As Long As I'm Singing) automatically plays or not. Thanks. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-25-2005).]

#125859 - 10/25/05 03:08 AM Re: Assistance PLEASE : Internet Explorer 6 Page Loading Problems
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Scott
Due to IE being constantly targeted by hackers and virus writers, security updates are added to IE, and they can slow the browser down, however with the next security update that comes along it normally goes back to full speed.
If you have Java running then this can also slow the browser down.
IE is integral to Windows but if you are using XP then you can go to the Set Program Access and Defaults on the Start Menu, or System tools and set Firefox as Default.
IE is a fully featured browser and so comes with everything as standard, (Including the Kitchen Sink) were as Firefox is a basic browser to which you add only the items you require, and so it is much faster, unfortunately due to its popularity it has now become the target for hackers and virus writers, (Used to be only IE that was targeted) so make sure you keep it and your security updated.
Consider also the Opera Browser http://www.opera.com/, which I find superior to Firefox, and would be the browser I would use if IE did not exist.
Food for thought.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online