SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#125412 - 10/18/02 08:06 PM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
trtjazz Offline

Lou,
Must be because great minds think alike.
Terry

#125413 - 10/18/02 09:42 PM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Vic,
Refresh my memory then will you please? The only thing I recall was arguing over styles that never came while I owned the PA. I had questions with both the Karma and the Triton Rack and except for the one mentioned E mail. They never answered any of my E mails with support questions.

I think Jerry K is a good guy with a good heart but Korg IMO pays quite a bit more attention to their Triton Classic & Studio owners and treat the PA owners like orphan children.

I am not at all impressed with Korg's support nor ever have been and is one of the major reasons I sold my PA.

We had to scream and kick and complain to get synthmeister's brand new broken keyboard replaced. Gj had to resort to off official sources to get his data replaced for his card. That is not even passable support to me, that gets a failing grade.

So as I said refresh my memory with all that Jerry did for me at IA. Many questions I asked went totally unanswered.

On the moss and future expansion card, Daz was the guy who finally jumped in and helped me out.

When companies do good I say so, but when they don't I also say so.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-17-2002).]

Terry,
I woun't argu with you about korg but I just wanted to give credit to jerry because he is teh only person that really helped us and is 100% trying hard to get our needs done.

Scott, sorry for talking about somthing out of the main topic.thanx for the Explantion. that call you got was very intresting too. Yamaha as clif said should of put somekind of smart media card. doesn't the Tyros have a USB. and have the same speed as the motif?then they could probably use somthing liek a smartmedia card reader/writer and connect it to Tyros's USB and update it and there is no worry about computers or any thing.that is if it can do it...what do you think?

[This message has been edited by vic83 (edited 10-18-2002).]

#125414 - 10/19/02 03:24 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
trtjazz Offline

Vic,
I don't want to argue either.

Now....the smart media reader is an excellent idea....why can't we hook a smart reader, which are cheap, to the USB in of the Tyros and let it read upgrades that way?

Terry

#125415 - 10/19/02 03:31 PM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
kari1 Offline

One question that is puzzling me is: why should you need to reprogram the Flash ROM through the USB interface, if you have an internal Hard Disk ? On my PSR9k I have done it using the Hard Disk (SCSI), storing the OS first on the HD. So, if you have a HD, then it should be possible to store the new OS first on the HD (via the USB). Thus, the speed of the USB interface would not really matter (assuming it is slow). The only thing that would matter is how fast you can load the new OS from the internal HD (given that the loading should not be interrupted, the faster it is the smaller the chances of e.g. a power failure during the loading).

By the way the Tyros cannot read Smart Media cards (or any device for that matter) via the USB. It can only be a USB slave, i.e. some active device like a PC is needed to be connected to the Tyros for transferring data.

Kari

#125416 - 10/19/02 03:45 PM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
Beakybird Offline

That's great that Yamaha called you Scott. I am not worried about the Tyros having disturbing bugs. We haven't heard anything from any of the current owners of the Tyros about bugs.

It's disappointing, however, that with such risks to upgrading the OS, it is unlikely there will be upgrades solely to deliver improved features, but who knows?

Kari, a floppy disk upgrade would require 25 floppies. That would be too much.

Whether a company provides good customer support to protect their own assets as Dano asserted or if they do it just to be good people is of little difference. It's good to have customer support.

I have found that I do get good support from Yamaha. They always have answered my questions within 48 hours. They do call back. It would be great if they had 24 hour personnel who would answer intricate questions about keyboard functions at 3 in the morning, but that might be asking too much.

I'm on the fence about this Tyros thing. It is so expensive, and money is so tight for my family these days.

Beakybird

#125417 - 10/20/02 12:29 PM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
kari1 Offline

Beakybird, Yes 25 floppies are too much. The idea I had was to first store the new OS on the internal HD of the Tyros. This can be done through the USB with a PC. This may take a long time ( 3 hours ! for 40 MB with the slow Midi transfer rate of 30 kbit/sec). If this transfer is interrupted by e.g. a power failure, you can simply restart it. No harm was done, except the wasted time !

After that you should be able to start the flash update from the internal HD of the Tyros. This should be much faster, thus reducing the risk of interruption.

I would be very interested to hear from Yamaha whether the Tyros supports the above mentioned procedure.

Kari

#125418 - 10/21/02 04:25 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I would be interested to know why Smartmedia support is not present. The smartmedia interface hardware is hardly expensive and writing the software shouldn't be that tricky; the smartmedia data organisation information I've found on the web looks very like an extension of the storage strategy used on floppy discs. I have a vague memory that Smartmedia can also be referred to as SSFD -Solid State Floppy Disc.

#125419 - 10/21/02 06:10 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
trtjazz Offline

Kari,
That would be a cool idea if that would work. Or the smart card idea would also be cool. I expect the Tyros pro will make some other provision for better upgrading. I am somewhat surprised that this possibility was overlooked early in the design process.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-21-2002).]

#125420 - 10/21/02 06:44 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
This was an interesting post because it is refreshing to confirm that someone at Yamaha pays attention to what is said in discussion groups about their products. The level of interaction between customers and manufacturers is often unecessarily constricted.

One thought may relate to some of the questions being tossed up here: the large and rather bulky OS for the Tyros confirms that there is a huge amount of code that has been written for the Tyros and the other home instruments that share it. Yamaha won't be upgrading this OS very often, if at all, because of the sheer expense involved in writing/rewriting this much code, sending out the updates, and manning the tech support and repair desks for people who will inevitably have problems performing the upgrade. In other words, you'd better like the Tyros a lot as it is because changes will come slowly or not at all.

Also, it would seem likely and logical that Yamaha is consolidating it's keyboard operating systems, using the same OS for several different models. While it's possible that Yamaha may eventually create a 76 or 88 note "Tyros Pro" model, I imagine that if Yamaha makes a Pro version at all they will now simply put the same Tyros OS and sound generator into a rack-mount version that would keep the overall Tyros features and just add a few desireable hardware features such as balanced XLR mic input and MLAN/digital outputs (especially if they want to market the "Tyros Workstation" to pro studio users). That would give pro users the option of using their own 76 or 88 note controller and studio-level interfaces without Yamaha going to great development expense with a whole new keyboard.

Just musings...

#125421 - 10/21/02 08:54 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
trtjazz Offline

Pro,
Yamaha doesn't really seem to be into making "rack" mounts of their more popular instruments....like the Motif, or a rack with sweet and live sounds. So I'm not so sure there will be a Tyros Rack in the future.
Terry

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online