SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#125402 - 10/18/02 02:49 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
trtjazz Offline

Riccardo & Marek,
Having talked with Steve also and Scott. They never said it would be bug free. To the contrary, in my post about my conversaation with Steve, I mentioned he was straight up about it.

The question becomes what type of bug and whether or not the average user will run into them or not, or will they be deeper bugs. They know that there will be bugs or possibilities of them and is why the o/s is upgradeable.

As far as the time it takes to upgrade. I have some equipment that reads and writes pretty fast and other stuff that slugs. Any equipment I own that follows this sort of procedure for upgrading always comes with the warning..."do not shut off the power during this procedure."

Is this the best scenario for upgrading this or any keyboard? Probably not. Have we all looked at many products and said "if I designed this thing I would have...." I know I have.

A few key things:
1. It is upgradeable if necessary. 2. It is a proven o/s which has been very stable 3. Worst case scenario is, it may have to be sent back to Yamaha to upgrade.

Think about your present equipment do the bugs that it has render it useless? No, usually they are more annoyances than, it quits working.

It is my understanding that for all the PSR 2000 moaning about the non flash o/s that no-one has sent their unit back to Yamaha to upgrade it. They all seem to be still working and making some pretty good music.

My new car (a year old now) has had some bugs in it and has to go back to the dealer from time to time too and it costs alot more than the Tyros does.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-18-2002).]

#125403 - 10/18/02 03:36 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
Marek Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi Terry,

I did not want to complain about Tyros (I'll hear today in the evening a Tyros presentation, so I am very curious, how it sounds), but I'm a little bit surprised (confused) from the upgrade speed. In generall, the music industry seems always to be one step (one generation) behind the computer industry, e.g.
* the flash size in the PSR 9000/9000 Pro - they were provided with 1.8 MB in the age, when 32 MB Flash Card cost a few dollars,
* harddisk and floppy disk controller in PSR 9000 is extremely (but really extremely) slow, like in old 8086 (XT) computers,
* and now the upgrade of 40 MB big operating system via USB interface should take 30 minutes: in days, when the hardware allows to do it within a few seconds.

> It is my understanding that for all the PSR 2000 moaning about the non flash o/s
> that no-one has sent their unit back to Yamaha to upgrade it.
I assume that many home-users think, that they can "live" with the small problems rather than to have some inconveniencies - to pack the keyboard, go to the dealer, wait x minutes (days???) for an update and return home.

But an operating system upgrade is not done daily and therefore this small disadvantage of Tyros can be neglected compared to the new sounds, features, etc.

Regards

Marek

#125404 - 10/18/02 05:46 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
RicFreak Offline

Loc: Italy
Terry (and all the others),
I absolutely don't want to move some of you away from Yamaha Tyros or whatever other gear.

I simply expressed my ideas and my sensations about a couple of sentences inside Scottyee message.

We all know that the choice of a musical instrument is a matter of reason and passion, and often we fall in love with a piece of gear despite its defects.

I am the first in this, 'cause I love my old Fender Jaguar so much, and I will nevel sell it, even if I perfectly know that there are many others better guitars.

That said, what I've done in my previous message is trying to see things from a different perspective, making you aware of possible cons. It is up to you to evaluate my consideration and decide if they have sense or not.

Finally, to be completely honest, I love my actual arranger despite its defects and its lack of support.

Ciao
Riccardo

#125405 - 10/18/02 06:04 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
trtjazz Offline

Riccardo & Marek,
I cannot disagree with anything you have said, even in your original posts and the discussion back and forth of pros and cons is absolutely necessary here, or there is no reason for this forum to exist IMO. That's what I was doing in my reply....just discussing the pros and cons.

My real bottom line to all of this is....this is not a heart transplant, it's a keyboard. If I hate it in the first 30 days, I will return it. If I learn to hate it after and it bothers me enough I will sell it trade it or do whatever with it. This is not my first keyboard and hopefully I will live long enough that it will not be my last and if I don't then it really doesn't matter.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-18-2002).]

#125406 - 10/18/02 07:40 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
Catsailor Offline

Scott,

Thanks for the report. And thanks to Steve and Yamaha for answering your questions. Public relations is always good for everyone, the company and the customer. As far as software bugs go, if we waited for bug-free software, we never would buy anything with software. It is difficult to anticipate every bug that might occur. I know, I've been writing software for several decades. I don't think this will be a problem with the Tyros since it is based on a previous architecture. This keyboard is sounding better and better all the time. Thanks again, Scott and Yamaha.

Peter

#125407 - 10/18/02 07:50 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
Clif Anderson Offline

Too bad there is no SmartMedia (or other flash memory) slot. This would be useful for upgrading the OS, as well as transferring files to and from the HD.

#125408 - 10/18/02 09:01 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Ahhhhhh, if only Korg would ever do this...

I have so much korg stuff, Trinity, I30, Korg pedal effects, tuners, etc.....
They left me orphean, with my trinity and I30....If only..

Musikman4Christ........

#125409 - 10/18/02 09:27 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
Queen Offline

Loc: Here
Marek >>> the reason for the slow Tyros' USB speed is because its main use is for transferring MIDI data. Basically, the USB clock is set to that speed.

Being a Motif owner with the same situation, the speed is okay for the occassional file transfer/voice editing (and MIDI of course), but little else.

Q.

#125410 - 10/18/02 10:13 AM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
MarcK Offline

As a computer programmer, I can tell you that it certainly is *possible* to produce bug-free software. However, in a system as complex as the Tyros, the chances of doing so are slim. In any event, being that this is not a new OS, chances are that the vast majority of bugs present will never cause any problems. Windows (any flavor) has anywhere between thousands and tens of thousands of bugs, but most of them don't have any ill effects 99.9999% of the time. Enjoy the music.

#125411 - 10/18/02 07:15 PM Re: A Yamaha Tyros SURPRISE ! ! !
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Quote:
My real bottom line to all of this is....this is not a heart transplant, it's a keyboard. If I hate it in the first 30 days, I will return it. If I learn to hate it after and it bothers me enough I will sell it trade it or do whatever with it. This is not my first keyboard and hopefully I will live long enough that it will not be my last and if I don't then it really doesn't matter.
Terry

Well said Terry, my exact feelings
Lou

[This message has been edited by Lou Y (edited 10-18-2002).]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online