SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#125365 - 06/28/06 08:35 AM Re: Softsynth question: Forte, LS Pro, SGM128. Now what?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Rikki, right click my computer and go to properties,,,advanced...performance settings...advanced.. and select the background services...See if this helps with the CPU issue..

#125366 - 06/28/06 08:41 AM Re: Softsynth question: Forte, LS Pro, SGM128. Now what?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Rikki,
the CPU may seem slower, but it is not a MHz thing.
Speed relies on many factors, and I bet the new laptop whizzes past the old one in every aspect.
Wish i could help with the other problems you have.

#125367 - 06/28/06 11:48 AM Re: Softsynth question: Forte, LS Pro, SGM128. Now what?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Lots of good information. Thanks all for responding. Will try this out this weekend and let you know how I do.
Would it be worth it to increase my RAM memory? I think I have 500MB.
Starkeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 06-28-2006).]

#125368 - 06/28/06 08:32 PM Re: Softsynth question: Forte, LS Pro, SGM128. Now what?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
I may just use the 2 laptops seperately.
The old one has been working now for a number of weeks ( fingers crossed).
I may just add 1 gigabyte of memory, ( I feel a bit more confident now installing the memory, having pulled it apart several times now). I'll midi it to the piano, buy Garritons Big Band?? & just leave it there permanently for use with OMB /forte/soundfonts.
Maybe less likelihood of something going wrong again if I don't move it round too much.

I'll use the new one for portability, soundfonts & BIAB. I like the way it loads soundfonts directly & the soundcard, actually sounds quite good.

Maybe the software will catch up with the hardware one day.

Not knowing all that much about computers, I just assumed that the 1.66ghz was the cause of my 10ms latency compared to the 1.45ms I get with the old 3.06ghz laptop.

Eitherway, my softsynth arranger system is getting sorted out again. haahaa

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Rikki, it might be worth a try to operate your new laptop with just one processor. I don't know enough about Dell's laptop as to how to do this but a call to them should do it. Your onboard soundcard will be designed to work with dual processors whereas forte and ASIO4All are not. This will all change in the future as the software catches up to the hardware features. I don't think the slower speed of your CPU should be a factor. It will be a factor in decreasing the number of high quality instruments you can load and play.

Rikki you are just moving to fast.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#125369 - 06/28/06 08:50 PM Re: Softsynth question: Forte, LS Pro, SGM128. Now what?
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Fran,
I'll give it a try.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Rikki, right click my computer and go to properties,,,advanced...performance settings...advanced.. and select the background services...See if this helps with the CPU issue..

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#125370 - 06/28/06 08:59 PM Re: Softsynth question: Forte, LS Pro, SGM128. Now what?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Trident,
I just assumed that because I couldn't get the same low latency with my internal soundcard, it must be slower.
I've got a lot to learn haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
Rikki,
the CPU may seem slower, but it is not a MHz thing.
Speed relies on many factors, and I bet the new laptop whizzes past the old one in every aspect.
Wish i could help with the other problems you have.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#125371 - 06/28/06 09:06 PM Re: Softsynth question: Forte, LS Pro, SGM128. Now what?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
using Forte etc I used to be able to load about 250mb soundfont in 512mb memory.
I'm thinking of upgrading, mainly to be able to load Garriton's or a program along those lines.
I don't know if it would be neccesary if you're just using soundfonts?? unless having extra ram helps in some other way?

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
Lots of good information. Thanks all for responding. Will try this out this weekend and let you know how I do.
Would it be worth it to increase my RAM memory? I think I have 500MB.
Starkeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 06-28-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#125372 - 07/05/06 05:11 AM Re: Softsynth question: Forte, LS Pro, SGM128. Now what?
Starkeeper Offline

I installed Asio4All and tried various setting and still getting the distortion. Sounds like their is too much gain. It is louder then playing SynergiGS loaded on the Sounblaster card.
Playing OMB with SynergiGS soundfonts loaded on the Soundblaster card is normal.
Playing MIDI files using SyhnergiGS also normal.
I have tried lowering the volume on Forte and LS Pro and still hear the distortion.
Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Starkeeper

#125373 - 07/05/06 04:35 PM Re: Softsynth question: Forte, LS Pro, SGM128. Now what?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
I think your buffer size may still be too low. This is how I got mine to the correct setting. Don't know whether what I'm doing is correct, but it worked for me.

In Forte, I added Live Synth Pro & loaded my soundfont.
Then
Options
Preferences
Audio Options
Audio Driver ( ASIO4All)
Then I tried various Buffer Sizes ( Custom Buffer Settings) instead of Auto. It also tells you the latency underneath for the various settings.
An easy way I could tell whether it was going to distort or not was to check a particular LED.

When you have Live Synth Pro showing, just above on the left hand side there's 3 led's
2 are showing green, the middle one should be blank ( unless you've got a sequence playing.) If it's showing green, yellow & red in stop mode. You're going to have distortion. It should only be flashing up & down when playing a sequence or whatever.
Go thru the various settings I mentioned, starting with 128 and check that led.
You can also set the ASIO control panel within Forte, it's just under the asio icon.

My new laptop & hubby's desktop both have High definition audio cards ( whatever that means) & I seem to get better latency results ( 10ms) with the WDM drivers on board. This wasn't the case with the old laptop.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#125374 - 07/06/06 06:11 AM Re: Softsynth question: Forte, LS Pro, SGM128. Now what?
Starkeeper Offline

Thanks Rikki,
Will give that a try and let you know on Monday. I assume Options, preferences, audio options are in Forte.
Starkeeper

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online