SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#125293 - 08/28/07 12:31 PM Background 'capture'...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Several computer programs have a feature, either in audio or in MIDI, where the program is CONSTANTLY in 'record' mode, no matter what you are doing. If a magic moment strikes while you are doodling or just messing around, even if the program isn't in Record mode, it still buffers the recording, and you can recall it after the fact.

Does anyone think that, at least in MIDI form (I would imagine the ability to cache live audio would be difficult in most arrangers), this would be a useful addition to an arranger' features?

Most modern arrangers have a sequencer that can capture what is being played in it's entirety (apart from audio through the harmonizer!). But you always have to set it up and arm it before it will start recording. Why not just have the thing in permanent background 'record'? That way, no inspired moment would ever get lost... (or really terrible moment, for that matter!)

What do you think?

#125294 - 08/28/07 12:42 PM Re: Background 'capture'...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The Tyros2 with optional HD, and the PSR-S900 with a USB flashdrive can capture a recording, including vocals(or even another keyboard or instrument plugged into it) but it is not "on" all the time.

I vaguely remember a buddy of mine having an Ensoniq keyboard that had this feature, although it wasn't an arranger.

Might be useful...but a good editing system would be important to have with it.

Ian

#125295 - 08/28/07 01:24 PM Re: Background 'capture'...
Diki Offline

My understanding is that it would 'capture' to the same sequencer that currently has to be armed. So the editing capabilities would be the same ones as if you sequenced normally, and that varies model by model.

But even if it only recorded to a dedicated area that offered nothing other than the ability to name it and save it as an SMF, it could STILL be opened by the arranger's own sequencer and edited there...

Although the hard drive and USB audio recorders are handy tools, you can basically forget any kind of editing (can't fix one bad note in a chord once it is audio!), so I still think that MIDI capture is the best option, and probably the easiest to implement...

#125296 - 08/28/07 01:30 PM Re: Background 'capture'...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I was just talking to my buddy...he had an Ensoniq ZR-76 and the recording feature was called an "Idea Pad".

It didn't record audio...still in then future back then...but he said he found it useful.

How would an always on "capture sequencer" utilize memory...would there be a limit?

Ian

#125297 - 08/28/07 01:45 PM Re: Background 'capture'...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
The Tyros2 with optional HD, and the PSR-S900 with a USB flashdrive can capture a recording, including vocals(or even another keyboard or instrument plugged into it) but it is not "on" all the time.

I've got a 60GB HD installed on my Tyros2. I kinda remember reading (in the T2 manual?) that you can continuously record audio (as long as you have free space available) for a certain maximum amount of time per recording take, but just don't remember what that maximum buffer time limit is: 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes? Anybody here know?

I thought that Yamaha midi sequencers (both T2 & S900) as well as Roland, Korg, etc sequencers allow you to simply turn on rec, and allow you to record whatever is played for a certain amount of time as well. Anyone know what that maximum time (or # of note events) is for the Tyros2 and/or S900?

Thanks.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-28-2007).]

#125298 - 08/28/07 02:05 PM Re: Background 'capture'...
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Midi should be no problem as it requires little storage space; audio though would probably take up to much of the data bus and storage medium. (Particularly with hardware boards)
You could try just activating Midi record and letting it run to see what happens.
If I get the time I will try it on my Abacus, as it is just 2 button pushes to activate it, and it then runs independent of everything else. Audio is just as easy; however Wersi has set a time out of 20 minutes, so as not to use up too much disk space. (I am surprised they have not increased this time as it was implemented when the standard hard drive was just 8.4 GB, whereas now it’s 80 GB)
Certainly food for thought, nice one Diki
Regards

Bill

#125299 - 08/28/07 02:16 PM Re: Background 'capture'...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Roland Fantom.."skip back sampling" records at any given time[always].

So I don't think this to be hard for Roland to put in an arranger..

#125300 - 08/28/07 02:43 PM Re: Background 'capture'...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I kinda remember reading (in the T2 manual?) that you can continuously record audio (as long as you have free space available) for a certain maximum amount of time per recording take, but just don't remember what that maximum buffer time limit is: 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes?

Many thanks to SZ member John (aka: jwyvern) for the answer: 80 minutes, shown on page 59 of the Tyros2 owner's manual.

This means on Tyros2, you can simply hit audio rec, and play to your hearts content for up to 80 minutes and preserve any magical playing & vocal inspiration that may have occurred during that time.

I'm kinda curious now what the maximum audio record time per song is on the Yamaha S900 is. Anybody know? Ian?

Also curious if Roland, Korg, or Ketron arrangers include this/similar useful built in 'on the fly' audio rec feature. Diki, can you tell us?

Thanks,

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-28-2007).]

#125301 - 08/28/07 03:17 PM Re: Background 'capture'...
Diki Offline

Actually, I didn't know there were ANY keyboards that were constantly in 'record', though, once again, I don't think that audio recording is anywhere near as useful as MIDI... There's little you can do with your 'magic moment' other than listen to it, whereas a MIDI capture allows so very much more...

The thing is, audio recording an arranger, unless you ARE mixing in mikes and other instruments, seems utterly pointless until you have first MIDI recorded it, and been able to edit it or mix it more objectively than you can while you are actually playing.

If a MIDI recorder captures and plays back EXACTLY what you just played, it is functionally no different to the audio capture, except you DO have total control over the recording AFTERWARDS.

JMO...

#125302 - 08/28/07 03:22 PM Re: Background 'capture'...
jwyvern Offline

I don't do straight audio recording.(Ty2)
Always start off with a midi for editing reasons, then when OK record the audio. I always make mistakes

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 08-28-2007).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online