SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#124741 - 02/01/03 08:52 PM Want to find out how to use a laptop with PSR for styles.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I too, like Beakybird among others have checked into the Ukranian HDM. I have checked out other ways to deal with style files without a hard drive.

Occasionally I hear about using the laptop. Bob Gelman said on a post that with Joe Maas' new program you could do it direct without moving a floppy back and forth (which I see no advantage over sticking in different disks in the keyboard). I don't think I can do what Bob suggested on my PSR2000, but my guess is this might be possible with the PSR2100??

So, any suggestions on how one can use a laptop for styles etc. I would love to hear your ideas.

Thanx

Scott Langholff

P.S. Not to distract from your answers but on Monday I get to view the Tyros for the first time. I wonder what my reaction will be.

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 02-01-2003).]

#124742 - 02/01/03 09:25 PM Re: Want to find out how to use a laptop with PSR for styles.
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
The lack of memory for User Styles drives me bonkers. The best solution I have found for using external styles is to customize the User Styles to the kind of job I am playing.

That means having to clear the User Memory and reloading it with a new set, which has to be done before the job...or during a break.

I have only enough memory to plug in 21 User Styles. So, I have a disc with nothing but 21 styles I often use for general audiences. Another with 21 styles I like for dinner music, and so on. The advantage here, is once I have the "Dinner Music" styles loaded, I can then use my Dinner Music Registration Disc that will call up those styles when I select the song I want from the registrations I have on that disc.

Then, when its time for dance music, I load up the Dance Style Disc, then the Dance Registration disc...and I am pretty well set with no more changes to the User Memory.

Between the Preset Styles and my customized User Memory style I have not had too much of a hassle having what I need when I need it.

Don't know about the 2100, but I know of no way to call up styles or registrations on the 2000 from a laptop.

Eddie

#124743 - 02/02/03 07:10 AM Re: Want to find out how to use a laptop with PSR for styles.
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Eddie,

I pretty much do the same as you when it comes to styles, however, in addition to loading about 20 styles, I also load a custom MFD for the job, which essentially eliminates more than two to three seconds between songs. Using this technique, the MFD can then access the keyboar's user memory and with two pushes of the button, you're ready for the next number. I don't know about anyone else, but it's pretty rare for someone to play more than a dozen songs during a single, 45 to 50 minute set.

BTW, last night I loaded 66 styles on a single floppy disk, all of which were outstanding. I still have lots of space available on the floppy to add the OTS for each style. The only drawback is that you cannot access the floppy from the MFD settings, but access and loading time through the user style slot is a matter of two to three seconds--not a problem in keeping the folks on the dance floor.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online