SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124650 - 06/01/07 08:52 PM Tough job
zuki Offline

Just got home from a grueling 4 hour very posh country club job - outside from 7 - 11.

You can have that type venue - they could've cared less if I would've electrocuted myself while playing.

This was the worst job I've played in a long time. Why they even have music is beyond me.

Can't wait to play a nursing home tomorrow.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#124651 - 06/01/07 09:13 PM Re: Tough job
Dnj Offline

Tell us more what happened?

#124652 - 06/01/07 09:22 PM Re: Tough job
zuki Offline

Oh, nothing against me - because everyone stayed.

Just the eating, drinking and louder than the music crowd.

One of those 'play to yourself' gigs - the worst kind.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#124653 - 06/02/07 05:49 AM Re: Tough job
Dnj Offline

why couldn't you pump the room and make em dance.........what kind of gear were you using.....I dont think there has been a crowd I couldn't entertain some how....
loud or soft who cares......
your in control baby!

#124654 - 06/02/07 06:40 AM Re: Tough job
zuki Offline

That's why you're the KING I suppose I'll have to come watch you sometime to get pointers.

#124655 - 06/02/07 08:19 AM Re: Tough job
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Zuki....

Not to worry. There are all kinds of crowds. I do quite a few country club, "gated community" dinner-dances and related events. What I have found, and have come to expect as far as music/entertainment appreciation at these types of venues is:
1. Almost always, without fail, the first 45 - 60 minutes is a "sniffing period" -- like when two or more dogs meet on the street. The music has to unintrusive as the guests go sniffing from one to the other. And then there is the usual cocktail thing during the sniffing period. Gotta have those drinks.

2. Nothing takes precendant over food. Don't even try to compete when they are grazing.

3. The ladies, especially, take a great deal of pride and interest in what each other is wearing. They will spend the first hour mingling and complimenting each other. The guys?...you will find them at the bar or huddled up in a group talking golf.

4. If it is an awards event, a family reunion, a birthday, anniversary, etc...they are there for the billed function...not necessarily to dance. Music/entertainment is further down the food chain. Same thing for any theme type of event such as a charity banquet where there is an auction involved or a bunch of door prizes.

5. Members at these clubs LOVE to chat, yack, and catch up on everything from what they had for breakfast, which doctor they saw lately, what their latest golf score was, and are more than happy to participate in any gossip going around the club....or to complain about the manager.

6. Some of the clubs are particularly snooty. The members don't hold any kind of their service help (including entertainers..especially musicians) in very high regard.

7. They tend to have short attention spans and a VERY limited number of songs that they ALL like and will request, over and over. They may enjoy the other music you play...but it will be from their tables because they don't want to miss any conversation.

What really amazes me, after a night like you had, I will get one or two people come up and rave about my performance. A few will even hand me a $5 $10 or $20 tip.

So....WHY PLAY THEM????
Cuzz they pay the biggest bucks! At least in my neck of the woods.

Eddie

ps- my apologies if this sounds a little sarcastic. I don't mean it to be. Not all country club events are like this...but in my experience...I would say the majority are.

#124656 - 06/02/07 09:17 AM Re: Tough job
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
been there... outside, nice weather,you're background. They don't want a show, don't want to dance, don't want a guy trying to excite them for all of the reasons that btweengigs mentions and more we'll never understand. You're there for the ambiance. At least you weren't displeasing them. If they ignore you and nobody complains you did what they expected.

#124657 - 06/02/07 10:38 AM Re: Tough job
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Zuki,
I feel it is necessary to read the crowd. There are people who come to party, people who just want to talk to each other and a great mix past that.

I have played a party that went for three hours before they danced. And when they did dance they were doing some kind of Box Step. They were some sort of religious group. Neither did they drink.

In some of the higher-class country club affairs I found that they would dance in the later part of the third hour and stop some where in the beginning of the fourth hour. They were not there for the music.

I played at the Myacoo Countery club for six years, and yes I was playing for myself. ButWhat an opportunity to re enforce my play list.

The bottom line here I got paid and rehired.

IMHO, John C.

#124658 - 06/02/07 11:43 AM Re: Tough job
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
These jobs are different kinds of animals. I play lots of country clubs and fine dining establishments. For dining, music in the ones I play is to reinforce the entire dining/socializing experience. It's below the raqdar. Every set must include jazz standards, standards and pop tunes which are not too busy.

If the country club job is a dinner or special event, same thing. Money at the clubs is in the $350.00 plus range, usually for three hours. Restaurants pay $150-200 tops.If the event is booked as a dance, I usually bring at least one more player...sometimes up to 6 pieces. Money grows accordingly.

I enjoy being to play these types of jobs. you get to do a large variety of material, at controlled volumes. In many ways, it's more challenging than a honkey tonk.

This is my bread and butter. Many are for non-profits, colleges (administration fuctions) and government organizations.

R.

#124659 - 06/02/07 01:30 PM Re: Tough job
zuki Offline

Thanks guys for the comments. It sounds like it went as expected for this type event. Would I play it again? - Last night, I'd say 'no'....now I say 'ok'

zuki

#124660 - 06/02/07 03:58 PM Re: Tough job
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Thanks guys for the comments. It sounds like it went as expected for this type event. Would I play it again? - Last night, I'd say 'no'....now I say 'ok'

zuki

That's my boy!

Zuki, you should knock'em dead but not overkill them.

#124661 - 06/02/07 08:15 PM Re: Tough job
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Zuki...
We supply a service. Sometimes we are the star...sometimes wallpaper. Think of the "focus" of your audience. An entertainer that tries to be the focal point when he/she is just expected to be in the background will tend to take the lack or response or attention as a personal diss. If you try to make the party into something other than what the clients and their friends expect, it could cost you with one of the most lucrative paying clientelle out there.

Some are fun. Some are just paychecks. Smile, say thank you, and go to the bank.

Eddie

#124662 - 06/02/07 08:25 PM Re: Tough job
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
Zuki...
We supply a service. Sometimes we are the star...sometimes wallpaper. Think of the "focus" of your audience. An entertainer that tries to be the focal point when he/she is just expected to be in the background will tend to take the lack or response or attention as a personal diss. If you try to make the party into something other than what the clients and their friends expect, it could cost you with one of the most lucrative paying clientelle out there.

Some are fun. Some are just paychecks. Smile, say thank you, and go to the bank.

Eddie

Great advice Eddie - thanks

zuki

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online