SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#124551 - 02/13/00 07:39 PM My ancient GEM WX2
DannyUK Offline

This might be a silly question but I still would like to ask it anyway!

I have many many songs for my GEM WX2 in which I play back alot (I still believe its the best source for karoake). Anyway, this keyboard is 7 years old but I am not sure if it has HD capabilities. I want to store all these songs in memory or HD but somehow I dont think its possible. Does anybody know how else I could store these songs on the keyboard in such a way not to keep loading them from disk? Disks can only last for so long before they get wrecked, and some are already giving me load errors...

Any help would be great.

Danny(UK)

#124552 - 02/16/00 06:10 PM Re: My ancient GEM WX2
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Danny,
I don't know about Hd, but if disks are getting really old, you just could use diskcopy in old dos format..., this way you anyway will have fresh floppies
Fred

#124553 - 02/16/00 06:57 PM Re: My ancient GEM WX2
DannyUK Offline

Fred,

Well not only do I have them copied on disks, I also have them copied to CD ROM, so its not the fact that I lose them, its the fact that I have to keep referring to them, unlike if they were on the HD or something like that.

By nobody responding to my problem, it seems theres no way of getting a HD or even a 3rd party HD connected to the WX2. I have upgraded the memory on it but its a pathetic 250k in which I can only hold 3 songs at the most! the GEM format files are larger than SMF files because once saved on any GEM keyboard it converts them to the GEM format, this includes folders and sub folders of its own, really weird!

Thanks anyway,
danny(UK)

#124554 - 02/17/00 12:04 AM Re: My ancient GEM WX2
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Danny,

have you checked the Megafloppy (www.liontracks.com)?

this may be the solution. The other solution may be to find an old external MIDI data filer, which would allow you to store these files externally (but not on a PC), and send them down via MIDI.

Regards,
Alex

#124555 - 02/17/00 08:01 AM Re: My ancient GEM WX2
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have an Alesis Datadisk that I used for similar application. It accepts any system exclusive dump and even records sequences. $100 if you want it.
Don

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online