SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#124544 - 11/01/03 08:03 PM PSR2100 problem
Beakybird Offline

After 3 months of regular gigging with my PSR2100, I started having malfunctions in the style control buttons. Pressing one button would activate another button. At one point during my gig, the intro started playing over and over. I got through the gig without major embarrassment. Luckily, I own two PSR2100s. Instead of driving all the way to the repair center and paying $25 for a rush repair, I gave the keyboard to my high school repair geek friend. He purchased the highest quality contact switches possible, and repaired the keyboard for $40. Better yet, his dad works just two miles from my home which is where I dropped off the keyboard.

I have had the same problem numerous times with the PSR2000s I previously owned.

Be careful if you rely on just one keyboard for your livelihood. I wish I had the space in my car to keep two keyboards with me all the time.

This problem surfaced a few months ago, but I didn't report it to you guys until now.
Beakybird

#124545 - 11/01/03 08:56 PM Re: PSR2100 problem
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yamaha really should take into consideration that people use the 2000's and 2100's for every day gigs, and put them through extensive use. For what the 2100 is going for, better and more durable construction isn't much to ask for...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#124546 - 11/02/03 06:03 AM Re: PSR2100 problem
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Beakybird,

Hmmm. I will assume that this keyboard has a manufacture's warranty.(?)

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
...I gave the keyboard to my high school repair geek friend. He purchased the highest quality contact switches possible, and repaired the keyboard for $40.

I'm now going to assume that the manufacture's warranty is void.

Now I'm not trying to scold ya or anything like that. I understand exactly how you felt. I just want to share a thought with you and the readers....Don't always sell the manufacturer short. They DO make changes to the existing hardware during its production run. What if there was a tech bulletin issued about this very subject? What if the micro switch chosen during the initial production run was upgraded and all service centers were notified to discontinue use of part #123XYZ via Tech Bulletin 7890? Better yet, the front panel control board housing all the micro switches was to be swapped out with a new upgraded one free of charge.

Am I in lah-lah land here so early on a Sunday morning? Perhaps. But I've definitely seen this kind of thing happen all the time in the copier industry. Front panel switches that didn't stand up to real-world environments were always being upgraded (and it was always a control board replacement not the micro switch itself)(who can solder those dinky little tabs?). Granted as a tech we always asked the question, "Why didn't they just use that switch in the first place?" Production costs I guess. But my point is that the manufacture does not want to lose money on constant warranty work. They do fix problems when they see them. Of course, they've got to see the problems first.

But hey, I do appreciate the real-world, in-the-field report you are passing along.

mike

#124547 - 11/02/03 07:29 AM Re: PSR2100 problem
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
"I'm now going to assume that the manufacture's warranty is void."

Mike, when you're out there doing this stuff for a living, voiding the manufacturers warranty is not as important as having a fully functional keyboard repaired in a timely manner. There have been several posts as to the length of time it takes to get parts from Yamaha, then have them installed. In some instances, something as simple as a speaker took months.

Larry opted for the smart choice in having it repaired locally, and additionally, I seriously doubt that Yamaha upgraded their switches--that rarely happens with any product, even with cars. That's why auto manufacturers have recalls that the result of third party testing agencies.

Larry,
Seems like you might be punching those switches a bit harder than neccessary--which is easy to do, especially when you rockin' the house and the dance floor is filled to capacity. We all have that tendency. I have a friend who has worn the paint off of keyboard switches where the letters are painted on the fill buttons, and he did this in less than six months. I do believe, however, that Yamaha and all other manufacturers use lousy switches and they should seriously consider using switches of the highest quality--it doesn't cost that much more, and the consumers would be more than happy to pay the additional expense. Steve Demming, please pass this one along the folks in the marketing and engineering departments.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#124548 - 11/02/03 07:36 AM Re: PSR2100 problem
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Over 2 months both times for me with my arrangers. I think Larry the smart thing too. If I had to do it over again, I'd have fixed the pitch wheel on the 740 myself, and not waited all that time. I waited for 11 weeks on that one. Most of that time was spent waiting for Yamaha Japan to ship what turned out to be a common potentiometer that I could have gotten at my local radio Shack.

AJ

#124549 - 11/02/03 11:05 AM Re: PSR2100 problem
Beakybird Offline

I once had to wait 10 weeks for a replacement speaker for my PSR2000.
As I stated, when I owned PSR2000s, I had switch malfunctions about 5 times. Once I brought it in for warrantied repair. I paid $25 for 3 day rush. Otherwise, it would have taken 5 weeks. The only thing is the repair facility is 30 minutes from my home - without traffic.

I'm assuming that Steve Demming is not going to rat on me to Yamaha tech that I had someone fix the switch on my keyboard - saving Yamaha money! Anyway, my friend reassured me that there would be no way that the repair facility could tell that the keyboard was repaired by an unauthorized facility.

The repaired keyboard works perfectly. Now my high school friend is repairing my car stereo. I will be mourning the day that my friend goes away to college. It is hard to find really knowledgeable techs at $15/hr.

Beakybird

#124550 - 11/02/03 02:26 PM Re: PSR2100 problem
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I don't think Yamaha ever expected so many pros to be using an $1100 arranger on the road................Take a look at the Tyros and how much more roadworthy it is. Its buttons and switches are much better quality. I know 3 musicians that take two 2000's (2100's)when they gig..........

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online