SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124295 - 08/23/07 03:41 PM I'm SICK of the great outdoors !!!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I HATE playing outsideeeeeeeeeee!!!!

And the only thing I hate WORSE than playing outside is getting CANCELLED because of weather threats !!!!!!!!!

Sigh .... I'm sitting home, on my 7TH cancelled night this summer - that's almost $2000 in lost wages, folks. NEVER, never again. My days on the deck are over.

I blame myself for taking an exclusive booking with no garantee. This coming Tuesday - I give my notice.
Damn ... now I have to go out for coffee or ice cream or some other substitute for getting drunk.

Grrrrr..........
( thanx for the vent space, Nigel ! )

#124296 - 08/23/07 04:07 PM Re: I'm SICK of the great outdoors !!!!!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I was dry at the same place you play..

BTW: I didn't have one outdoor job cancelled this year..we played in the wind, and over cast skies...even heavy fog..but no cancels..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-23-2007).]

#124297 - 08/23/07 04:35 PM Re: I'm SICK of the great outdoors !!!!!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave-did it for years (14 at the same place).
My little house job ain't much, but the equipment stays in one place, and I'm DRY!

R.

#124298 - 08/23/07 04:43 PM Re: I'm SICK of the great outdoors !!!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
7TH cancelled night this summer - that's almost $2000 in lost wages, folks.

Dave, I'm amazed you let it go on THAT long. I'd have required a contract providing some cancellation protection, after just the first time it happened.

I'm also surprised your club/event venue didn't have a contingency location or covering, to account for bad weather. Even here in nearly always sunny California, when booking outdoor events, an alternate location or back up plan is made available to account for inclement weather. - Scott

#124299 - 08/23/07 06:19 PM Re: I'm SICK of the great outdoors !!!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Like I said .... it's on ME for allowing it. This is positively my LAST year doing the deck. even when it's "nice" it's sometimes very misty and I hate having that salty bay breeze on my stuff.
Nope - no more for THIS Uncle !
Nice to see you back, Scott!

#124300 - 08/23/07 06:37 PM Re: I'm SICK of the great outdoors !!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Can't say I blame you, Dave...outdoor gigs aren't my cuppa tea...hard on gear, tough trying to see the keyboard screen, and even the risk of sudden downpours that can very likely dampen more than the spirit.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#124301 - 08/23/07 06:57 PM Re: I'm SICK of the great outdoors !!!!!
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
i hate playing outdoors as well, although in Miami that's much of the work..so about 10 years ago, after a couple of miserable experiences outdoors, I got a sub to take the yacht gig i was was sure would be chilly, damp, choppy going, etc. i went to check on my friend toward the end of the gig when I figured the yacht would be arriving back at the dock....it was one of the most beautiful nights of the year, the yacht stayed at the dock all night long, and there were hot and cold running babes in bikinis all over the place, plus a food spread to die for. go figure..

------------------
Miami Mo

#124302 - 08/23/07 08:05 PM Re: I'm SICK of the great outdoors !!!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave,

I pretty much have given up on the outdoor jobs as well. If the weather does manage to cooperate, which has been rare this year, the bugs will quickly consume every inch of exposed hide before you get halfway through the job. And, that's if you lather up with insect repellent. At my age, those air conditioned venues are far more attractive, and not nearly as many drunks to contend with.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#124303 - 08/23/07 09:54 PM Re: I'm SICK of the great outdoors !!!!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Like I said .... it's on ME for allowing it. This is positively my LAST year doing the deck. even when it's "nice" it's sometimes very misty and I hate having that salty bay breeze on my stuff.
Nope - no more for THIS Uncle !
Nice to see you back, Scott!

Good thing school starts in a week or so...;D

#124304 - 08/24/07 07:17 AM Re: I'm SICK of the great outdoors !!!!!
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
2 hints for insect repellent: the Greek restaurant owner where I have doing my wed nite jams rubs basil leaves on his neck and arms..says mosquitos hate it, and it's common practice in his area of Greece. there is also a lot of internet advice re putting a clothes dryer fabric softener cloth in your pocket to repel insects (not advisable to breathe fumes or rub on skin--therefore the "pocket" proviso)

------------------
Miami Mo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online