SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#124149 - 08/25/07 09:27 AM Re: Collaboration, anyone?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
For those that use Skype ..you can also send any size file to all that are on the chat list..This would be a very good way to send the files..

Also for those that would like to video chat your ideas with each other..I have the GeneralArranger room open on Camfrog..the room allows 30 second video/audio in real time..or you can private video chat without the 30 second limitation..

#124150 - 08/25/07 11:38 AM Re: Collaboration, anyone?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
For a first time starter try: why not just lay down a nice Jam progression eg: CFG etc. ....something easy a few chords....then let everyone else take a 16 bar stab at a solo lead with what ever sound they choose with their arranger......once that is completed ....then the next project can get a bit more in depth?

That's probably a very good idea. However, if we pick the wrong style (genre'), we may discourage some people who would otherwise have participated. I've got a feeling that in the end, we'll probably use Fran's ideas on the file exchange thing.

I think the initial "jam" progression should be limited to bass, drums/percussion, and comping (piano/guitar). No horn stabs, strings, etc. That would come later with you would-be arrangers . More later.

chas

#124151 - 08/25/07 02:32 PM Re: Collaboration, anyone?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I've participated in a few live jam sessions with folks via SKYPE with limited success. The downside is the slight audio delay. Most satisfying is the enjoyment of having each person in the group perform a song live followed by a group discussion.

Scott

skype id: scottyee

#124152 - 08/25/07 03:17 PM Re: Collaboration, anyone?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Scott, my idea was to have more of a collaboration on a single agreed-upon piece of music, not a live jam session (although I'm open to other ideas). In my scenario, one of us would put down a minimal basic track (ie. piano, bass, and drums) and others would add an arrangement part such as strings, rhythm guitar, horns, etc. OR a instrumental solo (maybe a vocal later after we get the process down). This would all be funneled to our "engineer" who would mix the part (offline) and resubmit the song with the new part. Everyone would then be allowed to critique the added part and make suggestions for change (or possible deletion). We would continue the process until we had an arrangement + solo that we liked or until the engineer's patience wore out, whichever comes first.

Initially, I think we should follow Donny's suggestion and just put up a simple chord progression played by someone's arranger keyboard (without adornment - fills but probably no intros or endings; fade-in, fill, song, tag, fade-out, maybe). We should agree on a general style and let as many people as want contribute a base track. The participants would choose one to work on.

There won't be much room for egos, though. If three people submit string parts, we will (by consensus) pick the one most appropriate for the tune (in other words, the best one ). Depending on the patience of the engineer, we may do alternate mixes with different part selections. We'll see.

One thing I was hoping for was to get at least some non-keyboard solos from some of the fine musicians here that play other instruments, especially sax and guitar.

This is just a rough idea of how I see it but I'm completely open to suggestions.

chas

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online