SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#124072 - 06/05/06 04:48 PM Questions about the Korg PA60
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello,
-Is anyone using the PA60 on gigs?
-Is anyone using the 60 as a controller keyboard?
-Has anyone had any success communicating with Korg about the PA60? It seems that if you mention "PA60", your inquiry is ignored.
-Can anyone recommend an after-market source for the PA60 hard drive installation kit in the event that Korg's policy is indeed not to respond to inquiries related to older Korg products?
Ciao,
Jerry

#124073 - 06/06/06 05:07 PM Re: Questions about the Korg PA60
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi, I have been using for the last 3 years the PA60 and still, I must tell you I do use 2 arrangers (not midi) but in an independent mode, I do use 2 volume and 2 sustain pedal (I made a board where I fasten all the pedals and velcro takes care of the cable control).
Is a very nice, reliable and great source of styles, I use it along with my Tyros2.
I have nothing but nice things to talk about the Korg.
I have no use it ever as a midi controler, so in that page, I can not comment, but I can tell you that it has many Midi configurations, for guitarist, acordionist, organist, etc.

#124074 - 06/06/06 07:04 PM Re: Questions about the Korg PA60
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello mdorantes,
Thanks very much for the reply. I was beginning to think that I was the only person in the world with a PA60. I have a PA1XPro that I like very much, but I just can’t haul it to gigs anymore. I picked up the PA60 because it is lighter and it has pretty much the same styles as the Pro, albeit a lot less. However, I won’t be able to use it on gigs without the hard drive as I have a lot of sequences that I made on the Pro that I use regularly. I haven’t been able to get a response from Korg about the availability of the necessary installation kit for the hard drive. I’ll probably also use it as a controller for my modules.
Coincidently, as I write this, I’m watching the Phillies beat-up on the Diamondbacks. Thanks again for the reply, I don’t feel so alone with the PA60.
Ciao,
Jerry

#124075 - 06/06/06 08:05 PM Re: Questions about the Korg PA60
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi mdorantes

So you play out with a PA60 and a Tyros 2? I know what that can be like, I used to haul 3 keyboards for a long time. Used to take me 1 1/2 hours to unload and set up.

The Korg has nice styles, but I am wondering, don't you notice quite a difference in the tone between the Tyros 2 and PA60? I suppose it would depend on what kind of music you play the most and which styles you are using along with which instruments are being used in the background part.

The other thing, if you like to use those Korg styles, here's a link that has all the PA80 styles converted to be used on the Tyros, plus a lot of other brands like Technics KN7000 etc. You may find that they actually sound better on the Tyros 2 than the PA60.

The conversions have improved a lot over just the last couple years. I remember that I used to try a ton of styles and found most of them used to sound sooooooo bad that I wouldn't use them. But many styles that are converted, now sound real good. The Korg PA80 conversions are usually exceptionally good, except for the Jazz and Swing ones. It seems that more intricate chords are used and while most of the conversion sounds good, when you play either an augmented or diminished, I don't remember which, then you will find some that will work and others that have clashing chords.

I'd be curious to see what you think of the converted Korg styles as compared to hauling extra equipment

Also, if I remember correctly on some of the conversions of the PA80 you may need to substitute other instruments in the drums and/or bass part to make them sound right.
http://www.psrtutorial.com/Files/KBother.html

Best
Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 06-06-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online