SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#123854 - 01/07/04 11:13 PM CMT's Top 100 All Time Country Music Song List !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Just finished catching the final hour of the CMT's (Country Music TV's) top 10 count-down of Country Music's top 100 songs of all time which was orginally aired in June 2003. The results were supposedly the results of some kind of poll the Country Music Television channel (cable network) conducted. This show was definitely one of the best music show's I'd seen in quite a long time. Not only because they're among the best songs of all time (of any genre) but were performed live by some of today's top Country artists paying fitting tribute to the original artists. I was deeply moved by the performances in that they both captured the essence of the orginal artist's delivery while tastefully adding a touch of themselves as well. It's obvious that the producers took great pains to find 'just the right' artist to showcase these classic tunes and the original artists who recorded them. I only regret that I didn't get to the entire 6 hours of the show. I wonder if it's available for sale on DVD?

Though I myself am billed as a Cabaret singer/keyboard entertainer, I perform many of the songs in CMT's top 100 Country songs regularly in my shows, including these in CMT's top 10: Crazy, Ring of Fire, Your Cheating Heart, and I Fall To Pieces.

Ok DonM (and other Country fans), curious what you guys think of CMT's all time top country song results. What Country songs do you include in your shows?

CMT's Top 10 all time Country songs

1. "Stand by Your Man" original artist: Tammy Wynette
Tribute performed by: Martina McBride

2. "He Stopped Loving Her Today" original artist: George Jones
Tribute performed by George Jones (a living legend)

3. "Crazy" original artist: Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson
Tribute performed by: Kimberley Locke (American Idol winner)

4. "Ring of Fire" original artist: Johnny Cash
Tribute performed by: Marty Stuart

5. "Your Cheatin' Heart" original artist: Hank Williams
Tribute performed by: Trace Adkins

6. "Friends in Low Places" original artist: Garth Brooks
Tribute performed by:Chris Cagle (though a good song, I didn't think it deserved making #6)

7. "I Fall to Pieces" original artist: Patsy Cline
Tribute performed by: LeAnn Rhimes (her voice sends chills down my spines, it's like Patsy Cline

reincarnated)

8. "Galveston" original artist: Glen Campbell
Tribute performed by Glen Campbell (wow, never realized what an awesome guitar player he 'still' is)

9. "Behind Closed Doors" original artist: Charlie Rich
Tribute performed by Ray Charles (what a moving tribute, and man Ray stillT can really deliver!)

10. "Mommas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys" orginal artist: Waylon Jennings
Tribute performed by Deana Carter and Sara Evans

The entire CMT top 100 all time Country 100 song list: http://www.azreporter.com/entertainment/news/100countrysongs.html

Scott

#123855 - 01/08/04 07:21 AM Re: CMT's Top 100 All Time Country Music Song List !
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Seems like a reasonable list to me. Here's another site that lists the top 500 country songs http://countrymusic.about.com/library/top500/bltop500i.htm

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#123856 - 01/08/04 07:40 AM Re: CMT's Top 100 All Time Country Music Song List !
Dnj Offline

Scott, do you do any country tunes in your performances?

#123857 - 01/08/04 09:17 AM Re: CMT's Top 100 All Time Country Music Song List !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott,
Interesting. Wish I could see the show.
It's generally acknowledged that "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is the Number 1 CW song of all time.
As far as doing CW songs, my list is too long to put here, but I do all those on this list from time to time, though it's been a long time since I did Galveston. It's hard to believe that Galveston is even the top Glen Campbell song, much less make the top ten.
Interestingly enough Lyle Lovett did a great version of "Stand By Your Man" also.
DonM

#123858 - 01/08/04 12:13 PM Re: CMT's Top 100 All Time Country Music Song List !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott, do you do any country tunes in your performances?

Absolutely. I may not be from dixie and my neck ain't red, but country music's been at the core of my music as long as I can remember. Though I studied & played jazz in college, I especially love the classic country standards because these songs speak simply & honestly 'from the heart', the real 'essence' of music. I always try to include at least a couple of country songs (especially the older classics) in all of my shows. Here are the ones currently at the top of my arranger performance set list:

Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
Move it On Over - Hank Williams
Crazy - Willie Nelson/ Patsy Cline
Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning) - Alan Jackson
Walking After Midnight - Patsy Cline
Green Grass of Home - Porter Wagoner
I Swear - John Michael Montgomery
Cattle Call - Eddy Arnold
For the Good Times - Ray Price
In the Misty Moonlight - Jim Reeves
Happy Trails - Roy & Dale Evans
I Can't Stop Loving You - Conway Twitty/Ray Charles
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams
King of the Road - Roger Miller
Tumbling Tumbleweeds - Sons of the Pioneers
Your Cheating Heart - Hank Williams
I've Been Everywhere - Hank Snow
Long Gone Lonesome Blues - Hank Williams
Tennesse Waltz - Patti Page
Night Life - Ray Price
Welcome to My World - Jim Reeves
Jambalaya - Hank Williams
Release Me - Ray Price
Faded Love - Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline
I Fall To Pieces - Patsy Cline
All I Have to Do is Dream - Everly Brothers

DonM, I concur that Lyle Lovett's rendition of "Stand by Your Man" is a terrific followup twist to Wynette's. I myself would also have elevated "He Stopped Loving Her Today" to the #1 spot! It's a surprising miracle to see George Jones, not only alive today, but sounding & looking better than ever as well, especially considering how far he fell after his bouts with alcohol & losing Tammy. I would love to see him again 'in concert' someday. He's among the last standing Country legends from a truly remarkable generation.

Scott

#123859 - 01/08/04 12:48 PM Re: CMT's Top 100 All Time Country Music Song List !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes?" - George Jones.
George married a girl from Shreveport that really helped turn his life around. Her brother is a very talented entertainer and after spending time in George's band, he is now doing a single. It was too tough for him here though and I think he moved to California recently.
Incidentally "Faded Love" was originally by Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys featuring Tommy Duncan on vocals.
I want to hear you do "Cattle Call". It's out of my league!
DonM

#123860 - 01/08/04 02:14 PM Re: CMT's Top 100 All Time Country Music Song List !
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
When I do solo gigs in restaurants, the only country music I play is from the country of Brazil. That's not because I have anything against country music or performers. In fact, as a sideman I have played every tune mentioned here more times than I can count. I am NOT a performer...I wish I was. I don't have a banter...never did...tried it multiple times and failed miserably. My longest gig lasted over 20 years. I played opposite a fellow named Preston Weber, and backed him uip on bass, guitar, lap steel, a "cheater" six string banjo and keyboards. In those 20 years, he never rehearsed once, was never on time, never learned the right words to ANY song. And he made THREE TIMES the money I did!He worked 1/2 the hours and frequently called in sick. Was that fair? YOU BET! He had the magic. He made the transition from folk singer to country singer. He involved the audience. He filled every place he played.People loved him.

Country music is story telling and has a high entertaiment aspect. What comes easy to entertainers is impossible for me to pull off. Hats of to those of you who "have the magic." Music snobbs who put down country music just don't get it. In my case, it's just not my "thing".

Russ

#123861 - 01/09/04 07:33 AM Re: CMT's Top 100 All Time Country Music Song List !
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Hey Scott, how comes we don't hear much from you over on svp? Your friends miss you!

Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#123862 - 01/09/04 07:37 AM Re: CMT's Top 100 All Time Country Music Song List !
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
[BI want to hear you do "Cattle Call". It's out of my league!
DonM[/B]

Scott please grace us with this tune....
I wanna hear your vesion also!!

#123863 - 01/09/04 08:37 AM Re: CMT's Top 100 All Time Country Music Song List !
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
I didn't remember Cattle Call till I heard it
on Amazon....Oh yeah, that song.

Cattle Call

I'm with the rest of the guys. C'mon Scott, let's hear ya. I bet you can nail it.

mike

[This message has been edited by msutliff (edited 01-09-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online