SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#123357 - 03/16/04 04:53 AM when do I need an EQ/compressor/limiter???
siahwayne Offline

Loc: singapore
Hi all,really need some info.I seen a lot of setup which included EQ. Do I need a 15or31 band EQ? What does an EQ do exactly? Currently I only have keyboard(PSR2K)-mixer(RQ200)-sonic maximizer-amp(soundtech PL200)-speaker(Peavey impulse652).I am not satisfied with the output sound as it lack clarity.Does adding EQ helps?How do I tune an EQ?
What does a compressor/limiter do?
ThankQ very very much.

novice wayne

#123358 - 03/16/04 12:46 PM Re: when do I need an EQ/compressor/limiter???
Vadim Offline

Compressor makes signal/sound volume stable, doesn`t let it higher or lower from the level you set. Limiter prevents volume being too loud, but lets volume go lower from the level you set. Equslizer is just leveling of frequencies. But the more of the equipment you add the more S/N ratio (sound to noise ratio) will be on the noise ratio, every equipment adds a little noise to the audio, while at the same time imroving the sound.But the noise.. You probably won`t even hear it unless you boost volume too high without playing music or voice through your sound system.

#123359 - 03/16/04 12:51 PM Re: when do I need an EQ/compressor/limiter???
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
A limiter really comes in handy. I use mine quite a bit on my digital recorder. It's nice to be able to set it so you won't clip out on a track when recording.. Limiters are great if you're going to mic and instrument. I was talking a while back to Boo about how a digital recorder with a built in limiter would help him out when recording his sax.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#123360 - 03/16/04 09:06 PM Re: when do I need an EQ/compressor/limiter???
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
siahwayne, "EQ" is nothing more than "tone controls", the adding or subtracting of frequency ranges. Whereas most "tone controls" let you change the mix of bass and treble, "EQ" divides the frequency spectrum into narrow ranges, which
CAN give you the ability to change just what needs changing, without changing everything else. An EQ also CAN screw up your sound in a major way. It is a useful tool if used with skill and taste. It can make your sound painfully unlistenable if used with a heavy hand. If you get one, try using it to take away what you are hearing too much of, instead of adding what you think that you are lacking. This will keep you out of trouble most of the time. A compressor/limiter reduces the dynamic range, which is the limits of soft and loud. If you are playing live, then you may not need one, although they can sometimes be helpful. If you are recording, they are essential, but useless without more knowledge than you can gather here! Just remember that you cannot "add" clarity! You can only take away what is muddying up your sound, Start at the source, your keyboard, and trace up the sound path to determine just where in the chain you are losing clarity. I would suggest that maybe your problem is in your mixer, or perhaps in how you are using your mixer. Try different input and output levels and see if that helps. Then do the same with your sonic maximizer, perhaps taking it in and out of the signal path. Trial and error ny friend-----good luck.

#123361 - 03/16/04 09:20 PM Re: when do I need an EQ/compressor/limiter???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill E., great advice
DonM

#123362 - 03/17/04 02:47 AM Re: when do I need an EQ/compressor/limiter???
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I use a compressor / gate / limiter on vocals. Helps a lot to hide the variations in power that you get in different parts of your range by amplifying the quiet bits. The limiter stops you overcooking it with too much gain and the gate stops it feeding back with no signal.

You can use an eq to gain clarity. I use a 15 a side stereo and I think this would be OK for you. 31 channel is clearly more precise but the difference is only really useful to tame problems if your speakers or venue exibit sharp resonant peaks (i.e. spot frequency feedback).

You might gain clarity by reducing the amount of FX on the keys or voice. the amount of reverb that makes a solo sound good can be excessive for an ensemble instrument.

#123363 - 03/17/04 05:00 AM Re: when do I need an EQ/compressor/limiter???
siahwayne Offline

Loc: singapore
Thank Q for the info. This morning I met a PA technician & a Keyboardist.I told them my problem and they both gave the same answer.! They said I should have used a Reference or Near Field monitor instead of the Impulse652.According to them, the 652 is more like a speaker for listening to CD music or public addressing and is NEVER GOOD for piano/keyboard.Few good options are the Alesis M1 active reference, Event reference or Yamaha MSP active.I have read lots of review on reference monitor recently and I am getting confused.I want something good for piano/keyboard and singing so what would you guys suggest?

best regards
novice wayne

#123364 - 03/17/04 02:29 PM Re: when do I need an EQ/compressor/limiter???
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
For home applications try Tannoy "Reveal" (very good for CD listening too, because you may notice more details, as with usual HiFi speakers)
For PA application the active systems of HK or Mackie (Mackie sounds very very good, but the price sounds not so good).
LUKAS XT is the smallest HK system, the only limit is the maximum sound pressure level, the sound is the same as the bigger LUKAS systems or ELIAS.
I did compare the systems at my local music store.

------------------
Regards
RF

#123365 - 03/17/04 03:16 PM Re: when do I need an EQ/compressor/limiter???
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Wayne...
I use a Peavey Impulse II on stage with the band and in solo gigs. I've got two tiered kbs and it fits perfectly on a mic stand, tucked up very close, yet it's small enough to be indiscrete. It has an attenuation control so I can tailor the level to my preference. This works for me, it's not necessarily right for everyone.
Just my thots...
http://members.shaw.ca/shboom

------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 03-17-2004).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online