SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#123241 - 03/26/01 07:02 AM new 9kpro owner has questions...
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
first just wanted to thank everyone on this board for insight/advice/wisdom. ever since selling my triton last summer (in those heady days when the korg pa80 was due in the fall!)I have been searching for a decent arranger board. tried every one I could find. liked a few, didn't like more. made some mistakes and for a while was using an old wurli in frustration. played both sd1 and 9kpro, and just fell in love w/ the yamaha sounds. solton kills everybody in the style department but I realized that for a basic home-use composition tool the 2-bar yamaha patterns are functional. and the piano and ep sounds are tremendous, and unlike those of another large Japanese manufacturer who also makes microwave ovens, the yamaha samples are in tune w/ each other. anyway, thanks to all who have helped me...and naturally I have a few questions:
*is there an OS update for the 9kpro out now? (my board is 1.0)
*I remember previous yamaha boards being fussy about the simm memory. are there any recommended types/brands? the manual says EDO is ok...anyone have any insight on which ones to use?
*is it possible to delete styles from the internal memory and replace them w/ flash rom styles or disc styles?

thanks again...

#123242 - 03/26/01 07:28 AM Re: new 9kpro owner has questions...
Dnj Offline

Tom,

yes the new 9k pro OS upgrade 1.02 is available on the "Whats New" section on the PK site.
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/pk/index.html

just follow the link.

good luck

Donny NJ

#123243 - 03/26/01 08:14 AM Re: new 9kpro owner has questions...
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Tom,

Congratulations on getting your new 9000PRO! It's like getting a Korg Triton and a PSR9000 in one package. How do you like your piano expansion plugin? Did you get the gooseneck lamps?

I got the lamps. They look cool but I haven't really had an opportunity to use them much. I'm really anxious to hear about the plugin module although it's probably a little too early for you to have had much time with it. I understand that most (perhaps all) of the piano plugin's sounds are stereo sampled . . . does it seem that way to you?

QUESTION: Yes, you can replace Flash styles I through VIII with any styles you like. You'll find this in your 9000PRO manual on pages 74-75. It's a straight-forward procedure. I've replaced most of the Latin styles that I never use with others that I do use.

Regards,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Stevizard (edited 03-26-2001).]

#123244 - 03/26/01 11:23 AM Re: new 9kpro owner has questions...
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Tom,
congratulations on your Pro. As you can read version 1.02 is out now. Version 1.5 will be out this summer, including some new features, like being able to play all midi files in order or random. Keep checking the PK club site for updates. To your next question: yes you can delete styles that are in flash rom and replace them. You can also play styles directly from disk, which takes only a couple of seconds to load. Regarding simms? Don't have them, but there are posts further down discussing which ones will work (not all will).
Good luck and have fun,
Eric

#123245 - 03/26/01 11:53 AM Re: new 9kpro owner has questions...
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
thanks all. re the piano board: I haven't had the time to get too deep into it, but here are some answers:
the stereo pianos are marked as such. they're very different from the Live! Grand on the 9kpro itself -- there's a nice jazzish grand and several cool combinations, incl. one called Rhodygrand. of the pure pianos, none are as vivid (or reverby) as the Live Grand, but all are expressive.
the EPs expand greatly on the 9kpro's offerings -- there are several decent wurlis (alas, none that go as far as the Triton's VeloWurli) and a number of rhodes sounds, including the Dyno circa 1981 and 83. haven't gone beyond that, tho I did see a page loaded with clavinet sounds that looked interesting....

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online