SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#123226 - 07/05/06 05:43 AM Hard case for keyboard
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Does anyone use a hard case? Any comments about them?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#123227 - 07/05/06 06:35 AM Re: Hard case for keyboard
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I have one that is built like a tank but don't use it now that I only transport in the motorhome.
But..........it is heavy.
It is for sale.
Bebop

#123228 - 07/05/06 08:12 AM Re: Hard case for keyboard
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
If you gig out then a hard case is very good insurance for the sizable investment that we have in our arranger keyboards. I had a case custom built for my Lionstracs Mediastation X-88 Pro. The company was Case Technology ( http://www.keyboardcases.com ) and I am very pleased with their product. I chose a custom case because I wanted a snug fit for my keyboard as well special positioning of the handles and latches, which they were glad to accomodate.

If you do not need a custom case then both SKB and Gator make hard cases that can be found at most music retailers in standard sizes that may fit you needs. I have had a handle break off of a SKB case as well the metal framing begin to come loose after a some years of heavy use. I have not traveled with a gator but for a short time so I can't speak to its durability, but it seems solid.

I think that the Case Technology product will be more durable, but only time will tell. Here is a website that sells a variety of cases including these types as well as the semi-hard type. I had a semi-hard type some years ago that I used to transport my Korg I-3. The case was made of a very stiff foam and covered with a canvas type material. This case did not last well at all! I think they would be appropriate only for very light use and with a very light keyboard.

Hard cases are the way to go, in my opinion.
Hope this helps.

Richard

#123229 - 07/05/06 08:24 AM Re: Hard case for keyboard
richard_shiflet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by richard_shiflet:
Here is a website that sells a variety of cases including these types as well as the semi-hard type.

http://www.finecases.com/
Sorry I forgot to put the link in
they have some very low prices in their closeouts on ProTec softshell cases with plywood frame $40 - $60 may be a low cost alternative but I am not familiar with them

Richard

#123230 - 07/05/06 09:18 AM Re: Hard case for keyboard
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I refuse to use a hard case. They are too bulky and too heavy. I find very well padded cases work just as well.

------------------
Al Giordano
www.al-giordano.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#123231 - 07/05/06 09:56 AM Re: Hard case for keyboard
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
I have a hard case made by SKB of Orange, CA. Yes it adds some weight, but it has a couple of built-in wheels. The interior, while it has no plush lining a la guitar hard cases, does come with a number of interlocking stiff foam blocks which can be built around your keyboard to ensure its snug fit within the case.

I took my Korg to England last Christmas and my keyboard, the case too for that matter, came out unscathed after the usual bashing around that cargo receives from air travel. I certainly wouldn't have risked such a trip with a soft case.

#123232 - 07/05/06 10:14 AM Re: Hard case for keyboard
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
richard, doesn't Dom give a case away any more with the Mediastations?
He gave me an excelent case when I had mine, think it was by a company called Gator if I remember correctly. It was heavy with wheels but a superb build.

#123233 - 07/05/06 11:30 AM Re: Hard case for keyboard
richard_shiflet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
richard, doesn't Dom give a case away any more with the Mediastations?
He gave me an excelent case when I had mine, think it was by a company called Gator if I remember correctly. It was heavy with wheels but a superb build.

Craig, Yes I think that the Gator cases are still included with the Mediastations. But I was not particularly fond of the design for myself as Gator does not custom fit with foam or even include the interlocking foam blocks like SKB instead they use padded velcro straps to hold the keyboard in place.

So Domenik was gracious enough to allow concessions in the price so that I was able to have a case custom built to my specifications. I had extra handles and latches placed in places that I knew would make the case easier to transport. It also has wheels.

After 20+ years of transporting an 88 key keyboard to several venues a week I new exactly what I wanted and this case fits the bill perfectly.

I also needed an exact height on the case because I transport my equipment in the undercarriage of my tour bus and if the case was an inch taller then I would have to lay it down not be able to transport it in an upright position. That would not be as efficient for allowing room for the rest of my PA gear.

So again this solution worked best for me.
Which type do you have for your T2?

Richard

#123234 - 07/05/06 12:25 PM Re: Hard case for keyboard
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I refuse to use a hard case. They are too bulky and too heavy. I find very well padded cases work just as well.

I agree totally Al.....

unless your on a road tour where gear gets stacked in a truck a good padded KB bag is more then enough....
http://www.gatorcases.com/

#123235 - 07/06/06 06:04 AM Re: Hard case for keyboard
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
I think do NOT need a good Truck, just a large car..
I store always my MS in this way: http://www.lionstracs.com/CorvetteMS1.JPG

There I can store the powered PA system too, then the MS is complete, JUST 3 Pcs and I can gig's too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online