SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#123135 - 11/13/04 08:34 PM Re: Real difference between 3000 and Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Whether actual fact, or mere fantasy, perhaps our evaluation is at least partially (and sub-consciously) influenced by a need to justify the purchase of the keyboard we happen to own ourselves at the moment. Perhaps the best 'unbiased' side by side sound comparison should be performed by someone who has no vested interested in either of the kbs and owns neither a Tyros or PSR3000. - Scott

#123136 - 11/13/04 09:26 PM Re: Real difference between 3000 and Tyros
tigerfool Offline

Loc: kingston, RI USA
I agree with you, ScottY.

Many Tyros buyers want to justify their buy.

About the sound quality, I think it is just like the format of MP3. To me, I cannot tell the difference between a 128K MP3 song and a 192K (so called redundant recording) song.

For now, I think the sound quality difference between 3000 and tyros is just the picture quality between Canon Digital Rebel and Nikon D70---different people feel quite differently. Yes, technically a 92M compressed ROM might provide better sound quality, but I suspect the difference might be way beyond the capability of our ears.

[This message has been edited by tigerfool (edited 11-13-2004).]

#123137 - 11/13/04 11:13 PM Re: Real difference between 3000 and Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by tigerfool:
Many Tyros buyers want to justify their buy. )

Yes, and equally true as well, many PSR3000 may feel they need to justify their purchasing decision as well.

That said, if 'you' can't tell, or don't care, about the differences (both sound & features) between the PSR3000 & Tyros, by all means save yourself $ and get the PSR3000, as I've always been the FIRST one here to say, the PSR3000 remains the best bank for the buck keyboard out there. Tigerfool & all, if you can't hear or appreciate the audible difference between a 128 kbps MP3 file and the original uncompressed CD cut, then I'm sure the PSR3000 sound will suit you well, but since I 'can' hear & appreciate the sound improvements on the Tyros, the Tyros is my personal choice. Of course there are unique features on the Tyros that aren't included on the PSR3000 to take in consideration as well. Your purchasing decision should be based on how important these features (or lack of) are important to you. Bottom line here is that I feel both PSR3000 or Tyros are good choices at their respective price points.

Scott

#123138 - 11/13/04 11:34 PM Re: Real difference between 3000 and Tyros
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Just a note from one Tyros owner that is not trying to justify my purchase, nor am I playing "my toys are better than your toys".

If the PSR3000 sounded IDENTICAL or VERY, VERY SIMILAR to the Tyros I would have one. I was ready to buy, and it didn't so I didn't.

But, again, the key here is to A/B them side by side, and see if there is enough of a difference, for you. PSR3000 sure will satisfy a lot of peoples needs. Especially those trading UP.

If one has a Tyros for a period of time, it is a noticable switch that is a let down. Not trying to cut it down, but it is not the same.

This is only intended for those that are going to order one without ever trying one and just going on what others say.

I suggest at least a 30 day trial on any new keyboard. There are just too many things to check out on a keyboard to spend a short time, or even no time trying it out, regardless of the amount of money spent.

Would an audience care if you played a PSR3000? Probably not. They would be happy to hear a PSR2000. I know that from the very positive reactions I got from the crowd.

Would the audience be able to hear a difference if they heard an A/B test between the Tyros and the PSR3000? Yes.

Try the Jazz Organ. Just this one voice is so much different I'm suprized they used the same name.

Again, this is only meant to point out there is a considerable difference between the two. If someone wants and enjoys the PSR3000, then good for them. But, they are different. That's my only real point for perspective buyes.

Best
Scott Langholff

#123139 - 11/13/04 11:37 PM Re: Real difference between 3000 and Tyros
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The Tyros looks, sounds and "feels" better. It has lighted buttons, hard drive, several dedicated buttons they removed from 3000, 3 right-hand voices, better keys, more footswitch options, and more User memory.
After using the Tyros, I borrowed Hank the Lurker's 3000 for a job. {Thanks Hank!} It did the job "just fine", but I can't see myself playing one regardless of the price, AFTER using the Tyros. If I had never played the Tyros, the 3K would be fine until something better comes along.
The new Roland sounds as if it will be a contender, but we'll have to wait and see, AND see about the pricing thing.
DonM

#123140 - 11/14/04 02:49 AM Re: Real difference between 3000 and Tyros
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi all, i had the same dillema,tyros or psr3000,my opinion two good boards,if you are going to gig with it and you can afford it go for the tyros,also tax deductable,if not go for the 3000,i just ordered mine should be here next week ,what did i go for?psr3000,mike

#123141 - 11/14/04 03:50 AM Re: Real difference between 3000 and Tyros
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
It's a very interesting discussion.
It seems that each owner wants to justify your purchase, but I think that the question is just one.
Have the Tyros (excellent) a pack of features to cost the double of 3000 (excellent,too)?
I am speaking for kbdists , because for the audience is all the same thing.
Years ago , I owned a Roland Em 2000, that I changed for a G1000, because G1000 had features to justify the change (G1000 didn't cost the double of Em2000).
My thought : the honour of top line, costs for tyros some money( the same for PA1X, for ex.).
Just an idea
I am working in my new HP, that will have recorded Mp3s. I will record some songs with Tyros and others with 3000. My SZ friends will know what songs was recorded with Tyros or 3000. (kind experience)

Cheers
Chico

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 11-14-2004).]

#123142 - 11/14/04 06:25 AM Re: Real difference between 3000 and Tyros
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
I went to buy a Tyros 3 weeks ago. A salesman (who didn't have a Tyros) said that the 3000 is exactly the same in sound, and that the features on the Tyros weren't worth paying for (as has been said here.) I thought great! I'll save £800 and get built in speakers! But I wanted to be sure, so I went to Chappell who have both on demo. I played the same song, using the same pre-set beat, using the same earphones. When I played the Tyros, I thought the sound was amazing - it really inspired me. When I played the PSR3000 it sounded exactly like my PSR640, with some new sounds and beats. I wasn't going to pay £1000 for a keyboard that is basically the same as the one I got already. I brought the Tyros right there. The 3000 sounds tinny and 'keyboardy' compared to the Tyros. No question.

#123143 - 11/14/04 06:36 AM Re: Real difference between 3000 and Tyros
tigerfool Offline

Loc: kingston, RI USA
Thanks everybody. I now understand the difference. I didnot buy one yet. But I did try a Tyros in GuitarCenter. It really amazed me.

About if Tyros justifies the price difference. I think it does. From what everybody says above, I think it really does although the difference might be minimal to somebody.

#123144 - 11/14/04 06:36 AM Re: Real difference between 3000 and Tyros
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
As I've often said in the past, if the Tyros had internal speakers I would have purchased one when they first became available. I've even tried to figure ways to install them, but this would, unfortunately, void the waranty. Hopefully, the next Tyros will have speakers, and with luck Yamaha will not eliminate a large number of essential buttons, knobs and desirable features.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online