SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#122935 - 01/22/03 08:50 AM Re: Standing during permances
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My biggest reason for standing is because there is not always a stage. I feel that the performer needs to be "spotlighted" in some way, and if there is no stage, the least I can do is "rise" up to the level of their eyes or above.
Another major reason is the singing issue. There is no doubt that my lungs work better when my big gut is extended, instead of crushed up in my lap like a basketball....not to mention the overall look is better. Standing allows me to feel the pulse more, move to the beat, see further out into the crowd. In a background situation .... anything is OK, but for a "show" I recommend that everyone be as visual as possible. Remember, Billy Joel and those guys are not performing solo ... there are other players, lights, effects, etc ....

If it's just me and the crowd - I need to be in the best position to control the flow. Sitting just makes the statement that it's less of a show and more background.

BTW - I DO sit at certain places ...... like I said, It's an issue of show vs. wallpaper. Sometimes, I'm the paper too.

#122936 - 01/22/03 10:42 AM Re: Standing during permances
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
like I said, It's an issue of show vs. wallpaper. Sometimes, I'm the paper too.

EXACTLY... never thought of myself as wallpaper, but at some gigs that is what they want..and what I supply. They want paper, I want paper..and want it to clear.
No problem.
Eddie

#122937 - 01/22/03 12:28 PM Re: Standing during permances
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Catsailor:

If you put it up high enough, it will cover the manufacturer's name if that name is on the front of the keyboard like mine is.

Peter

That's a good one. Does anybody cover their manufacturer's logo on the front of their arranger? And if so, what do you use?

Angelo

#122938 - 01/22/03 12:59 PM Re: Standing during permances
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Over the years I've been trying to spruce up the rats nest of wiring that runs to and from each device. Some of this has been accomplished by making a custom wiring harness that contains all the cables from everything. Unfortunately, if a cable goes bad, which can ocassionally happen, you must disassemble the entire harness to make the repairs.

Despite the neat harness, the backs of two keyboards with all those wires and names sticking out really looks nasty. Therefore, the problem was solved by going to the nearest fabric store and purchasing a yard-and-a-half of 60-inch wide, wine-colored velvet, hemming the edges, and using 4-inch high bright gold letters, plastered the band name on the middle. Velcro fasteners were sewn to the top edge and the mating fasteners were attached to the top rung of my Ultimate Keyboard stand. The end result looks quite professional, covers the back of the keyboards completely, and hides all those nasty looking wires.

While performing, the keyboard stand is positioned at a 45 degree angle so I can face the audience and they can see that I'm really playing the keyboards. When I get a spare minute or two, I'll shoot a digital photo and post it on my website.

The other great thing about the velvet cover is that it can double as a cover for the keyboards when they're not in use. I know that some of you leave your keyboards at the job when you're not playing, which is great when you're playing five nights a week and have a couple days off. You can merely turn the cover around and drape it over both keyboards to keep the dust and dirt off the machines, then when it's show time, just turn it around and you're ready to play.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#122939 - 01/22/03 01:05 PM Re: Standing during permances
Dnj Offline

Leave your KB at a gig? I wouldnt leave a wire anywhere.
My rig goes where I go...don't learn the hard way..!

#122940 - 01/22/03 01:13 PM Re: Standing during permances
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've left my gear set up at a steady gig on a Fri going into Sat IF I really know the owners, and they know my "No Touch" policy ... Of course the gear has to be insured..... But lately more often than not I've taken the kb home both nights... I try to leave the kb wires so that they can easily be plugged in ... I just don't like setting up when there's a crowd there ...
t.

#122941 - 01/22/03 01:13 PM Re: Standing during permances
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've left my gear set up at a steady gig on a Fri going into Sat IF I really know the owners, and they know my "No Touch" policy ... Of course the gear has to be insured..... But lately more often than not I've taken the kb home both nights... I try to leave the kb wires so that they can easily be plugged in ... I just don't like setting up when there's a crowd there ...
t.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online