SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#122925 - 01/20/03 11:05 AM Re: Standing during permances
Anonymous
Unregistered

My opinion that standing allows a better contact with the audience comes from my personal experience. ALL the gigs in which I stood were very successful ones, with a lot of communication between me and the public. They were probably technicaly quite poor (a lot of mistakes) but I guess when people are having great fun, this doesn't count anymore. This might just be a coincidence, of course, I'm not experienced enough to have a significant sample of gigs to be able to state that standing is better..

I was just thinking that it would be great to have a setup - keyboard stand - that would allow us to somehow instantly switch from a sit position to a stand up position with just the click of a button So that we could ajust ourselves to the mood of the gig/crowd.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by matias (edited 01-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by matias (edited 01-20-2003).]

#122926 - 01/20/03 11:29 AM Re: Standing during permances
Dnj Offline

Us solo Arranger Keyboard players are constantly seen as just a some guy playing a keyboard VS what the majority of people see at one of todays affairs...Whats that you say? ...DJ's !!!that are standing up, with 2 other guys and girl dancers running around. Flashing lights, fog machines, etc etc. So saturated is the public that when WE perform they think of us as "DJ"S!!! last week one of my clients says to me
" All these years I thought you were playing records" "I can't believe thats you singing and playing it sounds like a record" From the audience's view we do look like a DJ because people just see a square box in front of us that looks like a DJ COFFIN turntable rig. They have no idea what were doin, which is sad.
My good customers know because I have played for them for years but new younger crowds? Forget it!!If you wanna make it in the
AR KB/ Singer/ Entertainer business you have to be flexible and roll with the punches and mix it up that includes, singing and playing, live & with SMF songs, MP3/CD backing tracks, and doing a little DJ work thruout the night also. Standing up just gives you that energetic look that your in control of the audience. If you think its tiring your right, but then you could be working a "REAL" job. Next time you see a guy on a construction site, or up on a pole, or digging a ditch, in the freezing cold you'll appreciate what you do for a living as a musician, even if you have to
"STAND UP" and do what you love, Eat, and make people Happy. Stage Presence is part of the Total Package like it or not. You generate what the audience will respond to BIG TIME!!
But who am I ...just a Happy Entertainer doing my thing 400+ times a year....

Give them 200% every night and you won't go wrong!!

Carry On

#122927 - 01/20/03 11:47 AM Re: Standing during permances
Flavie Offline

Loc: Ontario - Canada
I use Ketron XD3, Technics P 50 weighted keyboard electric piano and Roland AX9 – guitar- keyboard midi controller. I also sing and I use Shure wireless head set as mic. When I play slow songs I use the piano and for the sax and synth solos, I use the controller. All the fast songs I leave the keyboards and I go in the front of the stage or even on the dance floor singing, dancing and playing the AX9. This is a very dynamic show and everybody is very impressed. Of course, all the girls are mine!!:-) Sometimes I let the crowd on the dance floor to touch the keys of my guitar just to make them interact with my show ! Is sooo Fun! I love this job!

Yours, Flavi.

#122928 - 01/20/03 11:58 AM Re: Standing during permances
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
DNJ, I agree...stage presence is key, but standing up and stage presence are 2 completely different things. I think we can all agree that just because a person stands up, doesn't give him or her good stage presence. It's how you communicate, your energy, your competency as a keyboardist, how clearly you pronounce words, how well you communicate your material to the crowd etc....I guess standing or sitting doesn't define an artists work in my mind. Can it add to a show? depends on the performer, but I'm willing to bet that if a performer can wow a crowd standing up, if he sits down during the the second half of the show, it will not effect his show or the audiences acceptance of the performer one bit...again, if it works for you, and you appear to be really successful, I'm happy for you. We all gotta do what we do best. But to say "you gotta stand to make a difference", I don't think that is accurate. In the end, as with most stuff we discuss here, it's a preference thing, and it's what makes us all unique as musicians..Brian

#122929 - 01/20/03 12:16 PM Re: Standing during permances
Dnj Offline

B2...I'll agree to a point. There are some senarios where sitting is more proper musical ettiquet. But I was refering mostly to functions such as Weddings, Dances, and events where people need energy put in a room. I have had my share of sitting also playing Kb's/as muscial director of a 9 pc Top name Oldies Show Band for years. Then my place was in the background with 5 Singers up Front. But now it only me and my KB, Experience, "Stage Presence" and love of what I do that makes it a sucess. I guess I'll have plenty of time to sit when I get older but for now a couple of Dr Schol's gel pads in my shoes and I'm off and running!!

#122930 - 01/20/03 12:34 PM Re: Standing during permances
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Maybe I should mention, at 5'6", it looks like I am sitting whether I am or not.
Eddie

#122931 - 01/22/03 06:37 AM Re: Standing during permances
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Dnj ..... digging up OLD threads to generate NEW discussion.. GOOD JOB!!! . ...
I've played accordion, cordovox, keys, etc. and the only time I sat was when the primary kb was a Rhodes ... I always said that standing 'kept me on my toes' ... There have been times, however, when I used the 'tall stool' setting as previously discussed by Scott Yee ... Being a BIG 6'2", even at a lower height I looked like I was standing ... I just feel I have more of a presence and control while standing ... Of course, if it's just backgound dinner music, sitting is fine, and maybe even more appropriate ...
BUT, I have ANOTHER question ... I have never been happy with the 'look' of the kb sitting on the stand ( I use a 'quik-loc') ... I feel that something is missing,.... I've thought about attaching (with velcro?) a black 'skirt' aroung the bottom of the kb to hide the stand (and my legs behind that), or even using thin plywood (painted flat black) in front and perhaps on the sides ... As far as the plywood idea, I've thought of a front piece with the side pieces attached with small hinges, so that it would be one piece to carry, and would fold pretty flat ... But like many of you, I'm always thinking of trying to carry and set up less and less ...
Any thoughts? .....
t.

#122932 - 01/22/03 07:28 AM Re: Standing during permances
Catsailor Offline

Tony,

I like the velcro and black 'skirt' idea. I have been toying with this idea, too, and feel it is really a good way to go. If you put it up high enough, it will cover the manufacturer's name if that name is on the front of the keyboard like mine is.

Peter

#122933 - 01/22/03 07:42 AM Re: Standing during permances
Dnj Offline

Tony,

here ya go!!.........
http://www.djskirts.com/cgi-bin/dj/

#122934 - 01/22/03 08:41 AM Re: Standing during permances
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
In the past, I often used a velcroed-type covering. My wife thinks it looks better and less cluttered. I don't use one now, because I want people to see the keyboard, the pedals and footswitches and cables and that my hands are actually playing the keys.
DonM
P.S. Food for thought: It is difficult to take a bow while sitting.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online