SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#122915 - 01/19/03 08:03 PM Re: Standing during permances
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I can always count on you guys to come up with some very real, practical, and on the edge topics. This one is another topic which I have myself been struggling with.

I stand about 6'1" and when I stand I feel like a giant on stage looking down on everyone towering over most other band mates.

I use two keyboards stacked one on top of each other. How do I play the bottom keyboard if I stand?

And... How do I use the volume pedal and sustain and Leslie ON/OFF pedals whilst standing?

I haven't figured this out for me yet, so I position my Drum Throne really high so that my head height is well above my music stand.

Do you think the audience really is sensitive to my not standing?

Al G

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#122916 - 01/19/03 08:27 PM Re: Standing during permances
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sometimes I stand and sometimes I sit. Depends on the job and hours. Standing looks better. Sitting is easier to work the pedals. I use an adjustable-height stool and sit it quite high. Sometimes I use it as Scott suggested.
I'm 6'5" and I enjoy looking down on little people!
DonM

#122917 - 01/19/03 08:33 PM Re: Standing during permances
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Well, I am not yet at retirement age and I agree that standing during a performance gives the musician more of a 'presence' to the audience but I have to admit I have used a stool (bench) from the get go. In my case it is much more relaxing for me to play while seated. And I also use 2 foot pedals. When playing with my band I am tucked behind the lead band members so even if I stood I would still be basically out of the spotlight anyway, "which is fine with me btw" PS: Also when I play with my band I DON'T use any auto-accompaniment features of my keyboard, it is strictly keys only; mostly guitar, electric piano, acoustic piano, and organ sounds. But 99% of my HOME playing and practicing IS with auto-accompaniment. I do have times when I play to a smaller venue by myself and I will use all of the auto-accompaniment features of my PSR 2000 which gives the performance a live band feel, but there again I always sit when playing. I have tried standing up a few times when practicing at home and I might give it another shot. With a little effort I suppose I could get used to it and probably end up enjoying it so much that it could become my routine way of playing during a performance.

Best regards,
Mike

#122918 - 01/19/03 08:58 PM Re: Standing during permances
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
I use a high stool and a Quiklok M91 keyboard stand (thanks for the idea Scott-same width on the floor regardless of height) because I play a lot of stuff out of fakebooks and I'm always glancing at the music, it makes sense to me-to keep my head at just about the same angle-when I'm looking at the music (esp when I'm playing a solo)or the crowd. I just keep working at it and hope someday to be able to raise the M91 stand a bit more and get rid of the stool.

#122919 - 01/20/03 02:30 AM Re: Standing during permances
Anonymous
Unregistered

I sit most of the times, specialy if it's a long gigging journey (most of my jobs are long marriage parties). But I agree that standing allows a more dynamic act and a better interaction with the audiences. When in a 2/3 hour entertainment (in a bar or a dancing dinner) I prefer to stand and I like to be able to move. It is well worth to loose a little bit the ability of using the pedals to gain in communication with the crowd.

What kind of tall stool are you guys using? A "normal" tall stool or a musician stool (brand/model?)?

-- José.

#122920 - 01/20/03 05:56 AM Re: Standing during permances
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
I'm basically a pianist so I have always sat. Feels funny playing standing up. Interesting comment from btweengigs though. How many of you have people talking to you when you play. I've found that I can have about four conversations going and still be able to punch out the music. Never figured out how I can do that.

Bryan

#122921 - 01/20/03 07:53 AM Re: Standing during permances
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I am a pianist and sit when playing solo, which is comfortable and looks completely normal. However I usually stand when playing with a band because they do and it allows me to be more interactive with them.

Interestingly I was watching Chuck Leavell play with the Rolling Stones on their HBO concert this past weekend and saw that he did both - sitting and standing.

#122922 - 01/20/03 08:33 AM Re: Standing during permances
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
If I'm playing for the dinner hour, I sit. If I'm with a band and I'm at a Baby grand, I sit. At the synth I stand. Quite frankly, I have seen Billy Joel, Elton John and others sit their whole career and it didn't effect their shows one bit. Granted, they could stand on their heads and be good. Specifically addressing arranger one man band setups, do we do it because we THINK we project ourselves better? I think, as with our equipment, WE care more than the audience. I have never had anyone tell me that they wished I had stood during a performance. Personally, IMHO I think it's way over emphasized. If you're a good performer, it makes no difference. You can project and entertain from your butt as well as your feet. In fact, the best piano performances (single acts)I have ever seen were from people seated at either synths or pianos. The deciding factor should be what is best for you and what is comfortable for you. James Taylor sits on a stool for alot of his show. When he stands, he doesn't move much...from the waist up...who sees any difference??? The audience thing is not really an issue. If you want your mug to stand out and have eye contact with people, you can do it just as easily from a seated position. Just place your setup on a platform in front of the people. I think we take ourselves too seriously at times...standing or sitting won't earn you a single dollar more or less over your career..

#122923 - 01/20/03 09:13 AM Re: Standing during permances
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When it comes to people coming up and talking while your playing and singing, it happens all the time. It's almost as if they are oblivious to what you're doing--they just want talk with the band guy. Most of the time, though, I think the folks that come up while I'm performing are blitzed out of their minds. Had a guy come up and request a song while I was in the middle of playing and singing Devil Went Down to Georgia, which is a tough song to do. He had a mug of beer in his hand, which he attempted to sit down on the top of the amp bead. Fortunately, the barmaid stopped him before he sat it there. She told him to write the request on a napkin and she brought it to me when I finished the song. As for sitting VS standing, I think B2 is right--no one really cares and you won't make another dime more if you're standing.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#122924 - 01/20/03 10:39 AM Re: Standing during permances
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Interesting to see this topic re-surface after a year and a half. I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments and perspectives. Though I agree that standing (while leaning against a high stool) provides better audience visability (stage presence) as well as vocals (increased diaphramatic breathing), I now prefer performing sitting down, with my weight FIRMLY CENTERED on a normal chair height stool. Attempting to play and also activate footpedals with your right & left feet (like I do) can result in foot & lower back pain, because your body weight is constantly being shifted from one leg to the other. After having spent considerable time playing while standing (even leaning againest a tall stool) and then getting lower back aches, I now prefer sitting on a normal height stool, especially for longer gigs. The audience seems to be as happy as before, and more importantly, my feet & lower back feel a whole lot better now. I guess the bottom line is: do what FEELS BEST to YOU. Afterall, you're going to give your best when you FEEL the BEST!

Scott

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online