SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#122188 - 11/18/01 12:10 PM PSR2000: Registration Memory Bank Problem - HELP !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Is there any way to:

1) Delete a Registration Memory Bank's (1-8) contents?
2) Turn OFF the Registration Memory Bank feature?

Please let me explain;

When you first turn ON the keyboard, nothing is loaded into the Registration Memory Bank (1-8). You can now select any of the built-in styles and all factory setups associated with this style (instrumental voices, right, layer, left, one touch settings, style accomp instrument balance levels, etc) are automatically loaded.

I then decide to create some 'customized settings' for the style "Heartbeat" and store these setups in Registration Memory (buttons 1 & 2). I first chose to turn OFF one of the style accompaniment parts and saved this setup to Registration #1. I then decided to turn OFF yet another style accompaniment part and saved this second setup to Registration #2. I then saved this Registration Bank as a USER Registration Bank file, naming it "HeartReg".

OK, here's my problem:

When I now attempt to go back and select other styles (built in/user/floppy), the "HeartReg" Registration Bank File & associated settings remain in effect. The "HeartReg" name still appear in the Main Screen's Registration Bank window. As a result, the "HeartReg" settings are still in effect, even when I select OTHER styles. The muted style part settings stored with "HeartReg" are not appropriate with these other selected styles - YUCK !!!

Somehow I am not able to either turn OFF the "Memory Registration Bank" feature altogether or eliminate its' contents. The only thing I can do it 'replace' the existing Registration Bank file ("HeartReg") with another Registration Bank file. It seems the ONLY way I am able to actually eliminate the contents of a Memory Registration Bank is by turning the keyboard completely off and rebooting.

I hope someone can help me figure this out cause I don't want to have to turn off the keyboard everytime I want to turn the Registration Memory Bank feature OFF.

Thanks, - Scott

#122189 - 11/18/01 12:30 PM Re: PSR2000: Registration Memory Bank Problem - HELP !
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
Scottie,

Try this, till some other means is found.

Save a 'clean' registration bank under the name 'RESET' or 'STANDARD' and load that to reset registers to factory setting. Save that to floppy.

#122190 - 11/18/01 12:39 PM Re: PSR2000: Registration Memory Bank Problem - HELP !
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
mbl's suggested "quick fix" may work to reset the registration. But here is another option you may want to consider. Instead of saving the changes you want to Registration memory, you can save them to any of the four OTS memory positions. You then have to save this modified copy of the basic style in the "user" area. But whenever you want your modified original style, you can choose it from the user area and you will have your own four OTS variations. You can always choose the original from the preset area. I just discovered this option the other day. I had stored a number of new sytles in user memory and set up some registration variations for my favorite solo instruments, using the freeze button to freeze the style and then the variations to swith instruments. Now that I know I can also save OTS settings with the styles in the user area, I will have to go back and create the combinations I want. I didn't have this option on the 540.

#122191 - 11/18/01 01:47 PM Re: PSR2000: Registration Memory Bank Problem - HELP !
Scottyee Offline

mbl & Joe:
Thanks for your input. Both your ideas are excellent workaround options. I personally would have liked Yamaha to allow us the option to delete all data from Registration Memory though, because this would avoid the possibly of inadvertantly hitting one of the stored Registration Memory (lighted) buttons by accident, suddenly calling up an inappropriate style and other settings stored in the Memory Registration Bank.

I did perform some further testing and found that when you a select a 'built in' style, after having previously loaded a custom Registration Memory Bank for a previously played song-style, that the ONLY parameter which gets retained from Registration Memory is the Style Part 'on/off' settings. All OTHER parameters change to correspond with the factory settings of the newly selected style. Perhaps someone else here can confirm this as well.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-18-2001).]

#122192 - 11/18/01 04:59 PM Re: PSR2000: Registration Memory Bank Problem - HELP !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott, don't forget to check the Parameter Lock settings under Function. You have several options between this and Registrations Freeze settings.
DonM

#122193 - 11/18/01 06:55 PM Re: PSR2000: Registration Memory Bank Problem - HELP !
Scottyee Offline

Don: MANY Thanks for pointing out the OTHER place where you can lock or freeze 'specified' parameters. Unfortunately the 'style part on/off settings' are not included in any of these lock/freeze options.

BTW, for others interested in checking out the 'Parameter Lock' function, It's in the Utility folder under 'Configuration 1': see page 149 of the User Manual. Discovering all the features of this new PSR2000 is a BLAST! With what appears to be a worldwide GROUP effort now, we'll all have this board mastered in NO time!

#122194 - 11/19/01 09:32 AM Re: PSR2000: Registration Memory Bank Problem - HELP !
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Scottee, you can very easly delete every thing from your registration banks!
1: From home screen push button for Reg.
Bank.
2: Push delete button at the bottom of
screen.
3: Then push the (all) button this highlite
all the banks. at the bottom your screen
at the left side you should see the word
delete.
4: Now push the OK button.
It will ask if you're sure you want to
delete Bank1 push Yes!
It will now ask if you want to delete
Bank2. Its the same all the way thru
from 1 to 10.
Scottee, hope this helps.
Lovin' this board,
Nobby

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 11-19-2001).]

#122195 - 11/19/01 09:57 AM Re: PSR2000: Registration Memory Bank Problem - HELP !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Nobby: Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, but I did'nt want to actually delete the 'registration bank file' from USER memory, I just wanted to be able to remove the contents 'already loaded' into Registration Memory (1-8) or at least shut off the Registration Memory button (1-8) feature altogether. Anyways, thanks for your excellent instructions on 'how to' delete Registratiion Banks from USER memory.

#122196 - 11/20/01 01:02 AM Re: PSR2000: Registration Memory Bank Problem - HELP !
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Waters:
... You then have to save this modified copy of the basic style in the "user" area.

When I posted this, I thought you could only save OTS settings to styles placed in the "User" area. I then discovered that if such a style with OTS added in the "User" area was copied to a floppy disk, it could be loaded from floppy and all the OTS buttons would be set as desired. Better yet, after more testing, I found that I could "save" the OTS settings directly to a style loaded from floppy and the settings were saved to the file on the floppy. The manual cautions that you must store the panel settings or they will be lost when the next style is loaded. I mistakenly interpreted that to mean that they had to be stored to styles in the "User" area, but, in fact, they can be stored to styles from "Floppy" as well. This now alleviates some of my concern about the 580K limit in user memory since modified styles, with OTS settings, can quickly be loaded from disk.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online