SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#121534 - 07/14/02 01:40 PM Fake Books & Learn Jazz Voicing on 3.5" Floppy
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Does such an animal exist? A few years ago a friend/keyboardist told me that there are fake books to be had on disk. I thought great, no more bulky books. Now that I have the PSR2000, I am researching this. The guys in the local music store said there was no such thing. I've been searching around on Google and as yet have not found anything. So, does this exist or what?

Thanx

Scott Langholff

#121535 - 07/14/02 05:34 PM Re: Fake Books & Learn Jazz Voicing on 3.5" Floppy
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Scott; As far as I know, there are no floppy disk based fakebooks available which can be loaded directly into your PSR2000 for onscreen viewing.

On the other hand, if you are a 'Band in A Box' software user,
http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox.htm

there are floppy based 'chord only' fakebooks available by Norton Music,
http://www.nortonmusic.com/fake.html

which can be loaded, read (on screen), and/or printed out via the Band in A Box program. These floppy diskette fakebooks include the exact 'same chord changes' & 'chord substitutions' as the ones in the well known poplular fakebooks by Hal Leonard etc. The reason Norton Music is able to use the same chords is because the chord progression 'by themselves' are 'not' copy right-able. Unfortunately the price of the Norton Music's floppy Fakebooks (which include the chord progression only, no lead notes or lyrics) is about the same price (or even a little more) than if you decided to actually purchase the original harcopy Hal Leonard (or equivilent) fakebook (with chords, lyrics, & lead melody notes) itself.

Hope this helps. - Scott

#121536 - 07/15/02 08:54 AM Re: Fake Books & Learn Jazz Voicing on 3.5" Floppy
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
You might check this site out:
http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/

With all due respect, I think that Scottyee is wrong. Your PSR2000 has the ability to read Scorch XF files, which are midi files that display scrolling sheet music on your keyboard display.

If you want to save money, the newer version of Band In A Box (http://www.pgmusic.com/) can create editable fakebook-style lead sheets from any midi file. Using http://www.musicrobot.com/ you can search for specific midi files on the web. There are also downloadable "fakebooks" especially for BIAB on several sites... do a search for "Band In A Box fakebook".

And finally, there's no need to cart heavy fakebooks around... I use a flatbed printer/copier to copy the individual sheets from the fakebooks and put them into non-glare sheet protectors in a 3-ring binder.

#121537 - 07/15/02 08:57 AM Re: Fake Books & Learn Jazz Voicing on 3.5" Floppy
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I forgot to mention that the makers of Band In A Box also offer CD's with multimedia tutorials that teach Jazz voicings for keyboards.

#121538 - 07/15/02 10:41 AM Re: Fake Books & Learn Jazz Voicing on 3.5" Floppy
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I would think that a lot of players who use lead sheets, fakebooks, whatever, do the 'copy' routine and develop a 'fakebook' of the stuff they play .... however, I still put the case with about 4 different books in the car, just incase the 'big tipper' of the night requests something 'off the wall' ...
t.

#121539 - 07/15/02 10:56 AM Re: Fake Books & Learn Jazz Voicing on 3.5" Floppy
Scottyee Offline

Hi Pro; It was my understanding that Scott Langholff was asking if a complete fakebook (which typically includes the melody notes (treble clef only), lyrics, & chords only to MANY MANY songs) was available 'on disk' which could be loaded into the PSR2000. It was to THAT question that I answered: no

I realize , as you so well stated that the PSR2000 can read Scorch XF files (midi files with scrolling sheet music), and that Yamaha has a number of 'individual' song titles (sheet music style (including both treble & bass clef notes with chords & lyrics) available for sale on disk which can be loaded and played back (as a song file) on the PSR2000. Pro, thanks also for sharing the link to MusicRobot's terrific search engine website and informing that there are other (cheaper & free) alternatives to Band in a Box fakebooks than Norton Music. I too have created a custom 3 ring binder fakebook (similar to yours) of songs not currently part of my 'core memorized' repetoire and find it more convenient to take along to gigs, but I would prefer not to have to take this book along either. I would love to see available an entire 'on disk' fakebook collection of songs (ala Jazz Realbook, Hal Leonard Fakebooks, etc) with the chords (chord progression only), which would effectively allow the entire song to appear on one single screen (no scrolling required). This way, you don't have to play along in 'song playback' mode , but instead, just utilize one single lyric window to view the chords of an entire tune while playing the keyboard live in 'auto accomp' arranger mode. Because chords (chord progression) themselves are not copyright-able, this would avoid copyright infringement or/or fees as well, and it's pretty easy (when the chord progression is given) to pick out the melody by ear anyway.

I'm wondering if there is a PSR lyric editing utility available anywhere which will allow you to enter/edit lyrics (scorch XF data) via your PC computer rather than having to enter the data on the PSR keyboard itself: painfully SLOW! Does anyone know if Yamaha's Software Sequencing program: Yamaha XG Works 3.0, supports entering/editing scorch XF format lyrics?

Scott

PS: I concur that Band in A Box's products are terrific. Peter Gannon, a jazz player & afficiando himself, had originally developed Band in a Box to help him with his own personal jazz musical development so his software & tutorials are particularly suited for people into jazz & jazz keyboard voicings, and now Band in A Box supports all other musical styles/genres as well.

#121540 - 07/15/02 11:13 AM Re: Fake Books & Learn Jazz Voicing on 3.5" Floppy
Scottyee Offline

Hi Tony, I agree. Like you , I like to take along a fakebook (or two) just in case I get off the wall requests that may bring in extra big tips. I really think it would be cool if this could be made available on diskette though (instead of having to carry bulky books). I would be willing to take on such a project if (at least the chords) could be easily entered (via Yamaha XG Works or another PC utility program) rather than viathe keyboard itself I wonder HOW MANY songs could fit onto a single 3.5 diskette? I would think a lot because the file size would be really SMALL, especially if it only includes the chords (in the lyric window) : all that's really needed (for me). Then again, even with the lead melody & lyrics too, the file size would still be fairly small I think. - Scott

#121541 - 07/15/02 02:00 PM Re: Fake Books & Learn Jazz Voicing on 3.5" Floppy
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Scott ..... that sounds like just the right project for you to work on in your spare time when you are doing the cruise ship gig ... and it would be another money maker for you as well
t.

#121542 - 07/15/02 02:42 PM Re: Fake Books & Learn Jazz Voicing on 3.5" Floppy
Scottyee Offline

Tony; 'SPARE TIME' ?!
I only wish, but if I can find out a quick & 'EZ solution' to entering chords/lyrics into a file which can be read by the PSR2000 KB, using a PC program (XGWorks or other PC software program) I'll give it a shot. - Scott

#121543 - 07/15/02 05:26 PM Re: Fake Books & Learn Jazz Voicing on 3.5" Floppy
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Which brings up another question. Suppose there is something like this out there or something that will be released; I wonder if one could still use style disks in conjuction with this. I don't know this keyboard well enough to know if there is a way to store the music one place and then use the style disks. Something tells me though, that it would be one or the other. Any ideas on this?

Thanx

Scott Langholff

#121544 - 07/15/02 07:05 PM Re: Fake Books & Learn Jazz Voicing on 3.5" Floppy
Scottyee Offline

from Scott2Scott

I just checked my PSR2000 Lyrics Display feature and it looks like the only way you can get the lyrics/ chords to appear is 'after' you press 'Song PLAY', and then, the display ONLY shows two lines at a time.

This makes the idea of having an entire song show up on the display (like an entire song from a Fakebook), impossible now. The PSR2000's lyrics/chords are tied to a specific measure of a song and only appear when the pre-recorded song gets to that specific measure. If you want to 'play along' with a pre-recorded song, this is a GOOD thing, but just won't work, if you want to have on screen chords/lyrics for an 'entire tune' appear while you play LIVE in 'auto-accompaniment' mode. Oh well, unless you want to do the 'play along with a pre-sequenced' song routine (not necessarily bad, but less flexible), better keep the paper fakebook handy for those more obsure song requests. - Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online