SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#121475 - 04/19/05 09:40 PM Can I record my performances Live on an iPod?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Can an iPod record Live? People have been asking me for recordings of the weddings and events I do for them - so I was wondering if I could attach a 'line-in' to an iPod and get decent quality recordings. And if it is possible, what format does it record in?

(I know that you can attach a voice recorder to the iPod but I'm concerned that they only advertise it as a voice recorder - and not for music. Possibly its low quality...)

Thanks, Chony.

#121476 - 04/20/05 06:18 AM Re: Can I record my performances Live on an iPod?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Can an iPod record Live?

Yes, but you need to purchase an add on device like the Griffin iTalk: http://www.macworld.com/2004/08/reviews/ipodvoicerecorders/index.php

Quote:

what format does it record in?

Wav file format

Quote:
I was wondering if I could attach a 'line-in' to an iPod and get decent quality recordings.
Unfortunately no.

Quote:
(I know that you can attach a voice recorder to the iPod but I'm concerned that they only advertise it as a voice recorder - and not for music.

Yes, only 8khz mono, and really only suitable for voice recording. Though I've never tried it, There are though, free iPod software 'hacks out there that supposedly allow you to defeat Apples' 8khz iPod recording quality limitation and record at 96khz: http://ipod.hackaday.com/entry/1234000147025394/

Chony, I own & thoroughly enjoy my "iPod Photo" for music playback, album art photos & pics. Adding built in high quality stereo audio input recording cabability would be a feature I too wish Apple included on the iPod. I hope they do this on their next model.

Scott

#121477 - 04/20/05 07:23 AM Re: Can I record my performances Live on an iPod?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3 is perfect for what you need. You can find refurbished from CL on Ebay for around $150-200.
Your choice of various WAV and MP3 recording formats. Records stereo only.
DonM

#121478 - 04/20/05 08:00 AM Re: Can I record my performances Live on an iPod?
John_CA Offline

Loc: Kern county, CA, USA
Or you could use a MiniDisk recorder from Sony. You can choose different qualities for recording and they record digitally. The unit is below $100 and empty disks are less then $2 a piece.

It does still have machanical parts as opposed to iPod or Nomad, but it's the cheapest way to go digital.

John

#121479 - 04/20/05 08:00 AM Re: Can I record my performances Live on an iPod?
painkiller Offline

Loc: Sweden
That's one of the reasons iPod sucks . I have an iRiver H320, which has line-in recording (only MP3, but up to 320kbps). I'd recommend it to anyone who's getting an MP3 player.

#121480 - 04/21/05 09:04 AM Re: Can I record my performances Live on an iPod?
Dnj Online   content

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3 is perfect for what you need. You can find refurbished from CL on Ebay for around $150-200.
Your choice of various WAV and MP3 recording formats. Records stereo only.
DonM

Agreed....I have one, Don recomnded it to me try one asap!!

#121481 - 04/21/05 09:21 AM Re: Can I record my performances Live on an iPod?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I agree that for live audio (music) recording, the other MP3 device options mentioned are better choices, but for its largest user community of support: http://ipodlounge.com/ , sheer listening pleausre & easiest navigation of locating any song quickly, the iPod's click wheel system can't be beat. I LOVE my Ipod Photo and take it with me everywhere I go. - Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online