SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#121263 - 10/14/05 11:42 AM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
My personal opinion is that the g70 is the worst sounding expensive arranger today. Thats why i changed to yamaha and bought a tyros. i love its styles and sounds and voice effects. I would not put the g70 in the same league as the tyros let alone the tyros 2.is there anyone else who feels the same?

#121264 - 10/14/05 11:49 AM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott I believe you mentioned you played the newest OS 1.10...Don't confuse this with Version 2

Fran, you're right. I stand corrected. I played it with version 1.10. I look forward to giving the G70 'another chance' with version 2 now. Curious though, in addition to hopefully correcting the overly bathed in reverb sound, does/can version 2.0 improve the overly quantized (robotic sound) of the styles too?

Quote:
Likewise you did not like the G70 styles, and to me they are the best I have heard.

Fran, interesting you repeatly say this. Have you finally now 'actually played' and heard the G70 LIVE yourself now? The last I recall, you said you still haven't played it.

Quote:
All I can say is play the "toy like" keys, the thin over hyped sounds and you guys can look at all the drum symbols near the keys to inspire your music...You guys are way off base.

Sounds like we got a REAL Roland vs Yamaha War going on here.

Quote:
Don't presuade someone that may be interested in a G70...to not even try one.

Don't rely on me for heaven sakes. I also remember to add to my comments that they are only my personal opinion. I've ALWAYS advocated EVERYONE here to to play, listen, and decide for themselves with their OWN EARS! I can't help that so many people here (as evidenced by the number of Yamaha keyboard enthusiasts here) have come to the 'same conclusion' as mine. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-14-2005).]

#121265 - 10/14/05 12:26 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
nielshs Offline

Rolandfan,

Your comments is based on OS 1.06. You havn´t tried the G-70 OS2. Your comment is totally out of tune in this thread.

#121266 - 10/14/05 12:29 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, I have not played the G70 yet..
I have all the styles converted to the G1000..and they are my go to styles..
I have owned and played the counter products that helped originate the G70..Namely the VR-760[a great organ/piano keyboard]. Fantom X [piano sounds],reported the G70 surpasses the Ultimate piano patch..

The features of the DisCover 5, including the vocal harmonizer,That I am also familiar with..

Features and utilities from the VA series[I also owned],are incorporated in the G70..

Comparing your RA800 sound bank to the third updated sounds since it's day, tells me your ear isn't up to par..The G1000 added significate sounds;many from the JV series]..like wise the VA series added another bank of sounds[many from the XP/XV series...Now as reported the G70 has added new sounds from the FantomX, as well as incorporated sounds and playing designs such as "guitar mode",,available via Version 2...

If all of the above features, even in the state of the early models mentioned, should make the G70 a "killer keyboard"...

I will let you all know after I spend some time[make that ...buy one}with one...

#121267 - 10/14/05 12:40 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Fran Carango Offline

BTW...is it raining where you guys are...It has rained here for a week...All this depressing weather invokes our keyboard attitude....When the sun comes out we can forget about the "Toys" and comments ...and be happy again!!!

#121268 - 10/14/05 12:42 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Fran Carango Offline

Al, there is no MP3 option for the G70..

#121269 - 10/14/05 01:11 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
BTW...is it raining where you guys are...It has rained here for a week

Fran, as the Albert Hammond song goes: "It never rains in Southern California". Ok, perhaps I'm pushing it a bit here in Northern CA, but it remains nice & sunny here today , and I contine to enjoy each day playing the Tyros . . . toy or not. BTW: I do LOVE toys! As a longtime PRO musician, I'm way past caring about someone's ego trip about any kb being a toy. Afterall, most non-arranger pro players STILL view ALL arranger keyboards as toys, even the G70! . If the keyboard sounds incredible to you, easily playable & navigatible, and satisfies your audience, what's the difference?! - Scott

#121270 - 10/14/05 01:21 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Fran Carango Offline

When your right your right!!![but not always}..
BTW I never use the smiles,,,you have to figure out for yourself if I'm serious...hint..I am never serious, and water flows off my back..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 10-14-2005).]

#121271 - 10/14/05 01:57 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
I am never serious

Now 'that' could pose a problem. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-14-2005).]

#121272 - 10/14/05 02:10 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It seems to me that everyone here is chucking around brickbats at one keyboard or another, but no-one likes to 'fess up what kind of music they play on their arranger, or how great their experience is, or how they use them.

For one person, only the styles in their particular favorite genre determines the worth of a keyboard, another may hate 'tweaking' and feel it should sound perfect (to them), out of the box, yet another may feel that the piano sound is the bellwether of perfection.

Quantized styles may not be your cup of tea if you're looking at jazz and ballroom styles, but are necessary in most pop music. The 'sound' of the tones and how well they work in your particular genre favorite often determine how well you like one arranger over another, and Style Conversion Software can go a long way to get a type of style from one manufacturer to another, but it involves work.

Personally, I always (mostly!) work with a guitarist, so for me that sound isn't quite as important as a good piano sound, and I don't care how good all the sounds are if the keybed doesn't feel smooth and comfortable (and have at least 76 keys - I actually PLAY the piano).

Your mileage may vary.

Don't forget that familiarity with a previous product goes a LONG way in determining how we feel about a new keyboard. There are MANY things I miss from my G1000 that are different on my G70, but for me, the GrandX (from the FantomX) and the V-Drum Kits are such a HUGE improvement over the G1000 that I MUST use it, and get used to it.

Do I wish it had wave/mp3 playback - you betcha! Do I wish the Tyros2 had 76 keys - you betcha! NONE are perfect, ALL have shortcomings, and posts that you hate XYZ arranger without a post about what you hate in the arranger you have is hypocritical.

We've all spent a FORTUNE on these top-of-the-line Arrangers, so perhaps denigrating others is how we can justify the expense to ourselves, but I wish more of us would just say that we are capable of sitting in front of ANY of these 21st century wonders and entertaining ourselves and an audience. I know I can...........

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online