SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#120862 - 12/27/04 07:12 PM Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Or is it just me?

I emailed Nigel to see if he could correct it but he hasn't gotten back to me. He may be out of town for the holidays and hasn't had time to check his email recently.

The Ad at the top of the Arranger SZ home page use to be just "1" Ad but now I see "3" ads, i.e. - "three in a row". Do others see the same thing? It makes me have to scroll down the page some just to start reading the posts.

Very annoying to say the least. I hope Nigel will attend to this ASAP.

Yoo Hoo! Mate! Wazzzz up?? Are these duplicate ads fair dinkum or is it just on my end?

Best regards,
Mike

PS: I haven't done anything on my Computer that I can think of that would cause the "3" ads I now see whereas a few days ago I was just seeing "1" ad.

#120863 - 12/27/04 07:22 PM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
Dnj Offline

no dont see anything like that...

#120864 - 12/27/04 07:44 PM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
MIke,
It is fine and as usual with one ad on my computer.
Bebop

#120865 - 12/27/04 07:58 PM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Or is it just me?

It's not just you. It is a combination of the way that ad is created combined with your own browser text size settings. If your text is set to smallest the problem goes away but as you increase the text size it begins to expand. I actually reported this problem to those that serve the ad and asked them to look into a partial solution. You can go to the View->Text Size menu on your browser and change the settings to see this happen.

#120866 - 12/27/04 10:55 PM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
keybplayer Offline

Thanks for replying Nigel.

The funny thing is I had my Browser set as always (no changes whatsoever) and up until a few days ago there was only one ad.

So I agree with you that whoever is in charge of making these ads needs to make the necessary changes, i.e. to work with you Nigel to correct this.

And get this: if I change the text size to 'largest' I get Six... count em' SIX ads! Ridiculous!!

I never used to get more than one ad regardless of the text size.

And if I change it to smallest as you suggest to get just the one ad to show I will have to start wearing coke bottle thick eye glasses just to be able to read everything clearly without straining the ol' peepers. @|@.. Either that or buy a huge magnifying glass and tape it to my Monitor and sit two inches from the screen. LOL

>> I say you fire your Advert people Nigel..

There's got to be some online Advertisment agency that can get it right you would think. And do we even need those Ads? Do the monetary rewards or lack of them spell life or death for the SZ? If they have to stay can it be like old times (how about just a few days ago ) when everything was copacetic and their was only one ad showing on my screen??..

I will be looking forward with anticipation to having this resolved. You can do it Mate! One way or the other. Have them correct it or fire their keisters and get someone who will work with you to do it right.

Ahem.. cough cough... Happy Holidays one and all

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-27-2004).]

#120867 - 12/28/04 07:25 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
I see "3" ads, i.e. - "three in a row". Do others see the same thing?

I only see 2, but my laptop's getting pretty old...

#120868 - 12/28/04 08:05 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Funny thing but all the ads vanish as soon as I scroll down.. Aint I lucky

#120869 - 12/29/04 01:35 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by trevorjohn:
Funny thing but all the ads vanish as soon as I scroll down.. Aint I lucky

Yes that is a special feature we all have

#120870 - 12/29/04 06:34 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Life is grand !

#120871 - 12/29/04 09:13 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
keybplayer Offline

Grandiose, ...Magnanimous

Here is the definition of Magnanimous in the Thesaurus:

"Willing to give of oneself and one's possessions: big, big-hearted, generous, great-hearted, large-hearted, unselfish."

I know it's not your fault mate but those ads are still annoying nonetheless. Sure they disappear when I scroll down but if I read another new post I get the same column of ads staring me in the face each and every time. And I won't reduce the text size to smallest and strain my peepers @|@ in the process and sit right on top of my Monitor with all its negative effects to read the posts either. Much to the chagrin of the naysayers I suppose but nevertheless I won't.

So yes, I will have to scroll until it is fixed [if ever], and yes UD, isn't life Grand!

I guess we can chalk up the ads to a devious prank Christmas present if nothing else. One good thing is my wireless mouse's batteries get to drain down faster from all the scrolling. Oh..., did I say 'good' thing? Oops!

Best regards,
Mike

#120872 - 12/29/04 09:26 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It's fine on my computer, using either Mozilla or IE. If I changed the type size to Large, I get two ads, but it's really not annoying. I just don't look at it.
DonM

#120873 - 12/29/04 10:15 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hello all,

On the chance that somebody would like a technical explanation of what's going on here, I thought I'd offer mine (for what it's worth).

The SameDayMusic ad is a small piece of javascript executed when the web page is displayed. And there appears to be (so far) three different variants of this javascript.

1.)

2.)

3.)

(notice the change of text in each sample)

Okay, the code starts off with establishing a table with a fixed width of 528 pixels. Then another table is nested inside the first table and a background image is chosen.

This image has a height of 124 pixels.  Then the text is added and as we can see above, some ads get more text than others. Since a fixed height of 124 pixels was used (height="124") rather than a varying height (height="100%"), the image has to "tile" itself to accommodate the extra text.

I don't believe this was intentional. To me, it's more of an "oops"...didn't see that coming, kind of a thing.

-mike

#120874 - 12/31/04 03:22 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Like Mike said whoever made these ads just didn't take text settings and different fonts into account. The previous ads were just gif images so weren't subject to this problem which is why is was OK until these new ads. As I said the problem is being looked into. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

#120875 - 12/31/04 06:54 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
To those of you who wish to create your own websites, this is a great topic, and I personally would like to thank Mike Sutliff for his assistance in clearing up the confusion about layer of page information. Once he explained it to me in layman's terms, I was able to correct the same problem in my own site, which I've recently redesigned.

Thanks Mike,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#120876 - 12/31/04 09:25 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Gary,

You're very welcome. Glad that technical mumbo-jumbo helped. When you consider how much assistance and advice you've provided all of us here, I feel good to be able to provide a little right back at ya.

Happy New Year to everybody!

-mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online