SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#120872 - 12/29/04 09:26 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It's fine on my computer, using either Mozilla or IE. If I changed the type size to Large, I get two ads, but it's really not annoying. I just don't look at it.
DonM

#120873 - 12/29/04 10:15 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hello all,

On the chance that somebody would like a technical explanation of what's going on here, I thought I'd offer mine (for what it's worth).

The SameDayMusic ad is a small piece of javascript executed when the web page is displayed. And there appears to be (so far) three different variants of this javascript.

1.)

2.)

3.)

(notice the change of text in each sample)

Okay, the code starts off with establishing a table with a fixed width of 528 pixels. Then another table is nested inside the first table and a background image is chosen.

This image has a height of 124 pixels.  Then the text is added and as we can see above, some ads get more text than others. Since a fixed height of 124 pixels was used (height="124") rather than a varying height (height="100%"), the image has to "tile" itself to accommodate the extra text.

I don't believe this was intentional. To me, it's more of an "oops"...didn't see that coming, kind of a thing.

-mike

#120874 - 12/31/04 03:22 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Like Mike said whoever made these ads just didn't take text settings and different fonts into account. The previous ads were just gif images so weren't subject to this problem which is why is was OK until these new ads. As I said the problem is being looked into. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

#120875 - 12/31/04 06:54 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
To those of you who wish to create your own websites, this is a great topic, and I personally would like to thank Mike Sutliff for his assistance in clearing up the confusion about layer of page information. Once he explained it to me in layman's terms, I was able to correct the same problem in my own site, which I've recently redesigned.

Thanks Mike,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#120876 - 12/31/04 09:25 AM Re: Anybody else notice the annoying triple layered banner ads on top of the page ^?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Gary,

You're very welcome. Glad that technical mumbo-jumbo helped. When you consider how much assistance and advice you've provided all of us here, I feel good to be able to provide a little right back at ya.

Happy New Year to everybody!

-mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online