SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#120810 - 05/14/03 11:18 AM OT: Huh???
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Need to feel smarter? Read on...

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?

Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever,
because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever,
but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever,"
-- Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss USA contest.

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world,I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff."-Mariah Carey

"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life."--Brooke Shields, during an interview to become Spokesperson for federal anti-smoking campaign.

"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body,"--Winston Bennett, University of Kentucky basketball forward.

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country."-- Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC. (Former)

"I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president-- Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents.

"That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it."-- A congressional candidate in Texas.

"Half this game is ninety percent mental."--Philadelphia Phillies manager, Danny Ozark

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the Impurities in our air and water that are doing it."--Al Gore, Vice President (Former)

"I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix."-Dan Quayle, Vice President (Former)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?" --Lee Iacocca, former Chairman of Chrysler Corporation.

"I was provided with additional input that was radically different from the truth. I assisted in furthering that version."--Colonel Oliver North, from his Iran-Contra testimony.

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like
Norman Einstein."--Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

"We don't necessarily discriminate. We simply exclude certain types of people."
Colonel Gerald Wellman, ROTC Instructor.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."-Bill Clinton, President (Former)

"We are ready for an unforeseen event that may or may not occur."--Al Gore, VP (Former)

"Traditionally, most of Australia's imports come from overseas."--Keppel Enderbery

"Your food stamps will be stopped effective March 1992 because We received notice
that you passed away. May God bless you, You may re-apply if there is a change
in your circumstances."--Department of Social Services, Greenville, South Carolina

"If somebody has a bad heart, they can plug this jack in at night as they go to bed and it will monitor their heart throughout the night. And the next morning, when they wake up dead, there'll be a record.--Mark S. Fowler, FCC Chairman

.... Feeling smarter yet?

Best regards,
Mike

#120811 - 05/14/03 11:25 AM Re: OT: Huh???
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Those were funny.. I liked the one with the ROTC instructor..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#120812 - 05/14/03 12:02 PM Re: OT: Huh???
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... When your tongue gets in the way of your eye teeth, you can't always see what you are saying ......
The intelligence of some of the world's intelligentsia can be UNDERwhelming ....
T.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 05-14-2003).]

#120813 - 05/14/03 05:34 PM Re: OT: Huh???
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My father only managed to get through the 8th grade, but he had several pearls of wisdon that he shared with me before he died.

1. "Common sense isn't very common these days."
2. "The average person is well below average."
3. "There's only one thing money can't buy--poverty."

The best one was today when I picked up a bottle of pills to shrink the prostate gland's size. One of those little taped-on labels said "This medication should not be taken if you are pregnant." Whoa! I'm really gonna' be concerned about this label's warning. Can't be too careful, you know.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#120814 - 05/14/03 07:56 PM Re: OT: Huh???
Idatrod Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
My father only managed to get through the 8th grade, but he had several pearls of wisdon that he shared with me before he died.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary, I don't think your dad would mind, "at least I hope he wouldn't", if I added another quote to those three your dad told you.

4. The old adage: "Money can't buy you love." Or for that matter, Happiness either.

But it can buy you friends. Although when the money runs out so do the so called friends too. Only true friends will stick with you through thick or thin. As I am sure you have deduced throughout your 62 or so years on this earth.

Best regards,
Mike

#120815 - 05/14/03 08:15 PM Re: OT: Huh???
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
yes Mike, I must agree. That's why one day, hopefully in the not too distant future, I hope to travel around the nation and visit as many of the wonderful people that I have met here on the Synthzone, SVPword and PSR-tutorial's forums.

Now if I can just get that woman to let me buy that 50-foot sail boat I can get this project underway.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#120816 - 05/15/03 05:33 AM Re: OT: Huh???
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

The best one was today when I picked up a bottle of pills to shrink the prostate gland's size. One of those little taped-on labels said "This medication should not be taken if you are pregnant." Whoa! I'm really gonna' be concerned about this label's warning. Can't be too careful, you know.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary .... I feel pretty good reading your father's quotes, especially the one about common sense .... Several years ago I had someone do a caligraphy for me of one of my quotes which I have hanging in my office .. it reads "There is nothing so rare as 'common' sense" ... ...

As for that prostate problem, I hope things are going well for you ... having recently gone through the surgery, if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me ...
t.

#120817 - 05/15/03 11:01 AM Re: OT: Huh???
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I just got this on email.

"Anyway, I'm so thankful, and so gracious - I'm gracious that my brother Jeb is concerned about the hemisphere as well." -George W. Bush, June 4, 2001

"It's important for young men and women who look at the Nebraska champs to understand that quality of life is more than just blocking shots." -George W. Bush, in remarks to the University of Nebraska women's volleyball team, the 2001 national champions, May 31, 2001

"So on behalf of a well-oiled unit of people who came together to serve something greater than themselves, congratulations." -George W. Bush, in remarks to the University of Nebraska women's volleyball team, the 2001 national champions, May 31, 2001

"If a person doesn't have the capacity that we all want that person to have, I suspect hope is in the far distant future, if at all." -George W. Bush, May 22, 2001

"For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it." -George W. Bush, May 14

"There's no question that the minute I got elected, the storm clouds on the horizon were getting nearly directly overhead." -George W. Bush, May 11, 2001

"But I also made it clear to (Vladimir Putin) that it's important to think beyond the old days of when we had the concept that if we blew each other up, the world would be safe." -George W. Bush, May 1, 2001

"First, we would not accept a treaty that would not have been ratified, nor a treaty that I thought made sense for the country." -George W. Bush, on the Kyoto accord, April 24, 2001

"It's very important for folks to understand that when there's more trade, there's more commerce." -George W. Bush, at the Summit of the Americas in Quebec City, April 21, 2001

"Neither in French nor in English nor in Mexican." -George W. Bush, declining to take reporters' questions during a photo op with Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien, April 21, 2001

"It is time to set aside the old partisan bickering and finger-pointing and name-calling that comes from freeing parents to make different choices for their children." -George W. Bush, on "parental empowerment in education," April 12, 2001

"I think we're making progress. We understand where the power of this country lay. It lays in the hearts and souls of Americans. It must lay in our pocketbooks. It lays in the willingness for people to work hard. But as importantly, it lays in the fact that we've got citizens from all walks of life, all political parties, that are willing to say, I want to love my neighbor. I want to make somebody's life just a little bit better." -George W. Bush, April 11, 2001

"This administration is doing everything we can to end the stalemate in an efficient way. We're making the right decisions to bring the solution to an end." -George W. Bush, April 10, 2001

"It would be helpful if we opened up ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge). I think it's a mistake not to. And I would urge you all to travel up there and take a look at it, and you can make the determination as to how beautiful that country is." -George W. Bush, at a White House Press conference, March 29, 2001

"I've coined new words, like, misunderstanding and Hispanically." -George W. Bush, speaking at the Radio & Television Correspondents dinner, March 29, 2001

"A lot of times in the rhetoric, people forget the facts. And the facts are that thousands of small businesses - Hispanically owned or otherwise - pay taxes at the highest marginal rate." -George W. Bush, speaking to the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, March 19, 2001

"But the true threats to stability and peace are these nations that are not very transparent, that hide behind the-that don't let people in to take a look and see what they're up to. They're very kind of authoritarian regimes. The true threat is whether or not one of these people decide, peak of anger, try to hold us hostage, ourselves; the Israelis, for example, to whom we'll defend, offer our defenses; the South Koreans." -George W. Bush, in a media roundtable discussion, March 13, 2001

"I do think we need for a troop to be able to house his family. That's an important part of building morale in the military." -George W. Bush, speaking at Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida, March 12, 2001

"I suspect that had my dad not been president, he'd be asking the same questions: How'd your meeting go with so-and-so? … How did you feel when you stood up in front of the people for the State of the Union Address-state of the budget address, whatever you call it." -George W. Bush, in an interview with the Washington Post, March 9, 2001

"Ann and I will carry out this equivocal message to the world: Markets must be open." -George W. Bush, at the swearing-in ceremony for Secretary of Agriculture Ann Veneman, March 2, 2001

"My pan plays down an unprecedented amount of our national debt." -George W. Bush, in his budget address to Congress, Feb. 27, 2001

"I have said that the sanction regime is like Swiss cheese - that meant that they weren't very effective." -George W. Bush, during a White House press conference, Feb. 22, 2001

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.'' -George W. Bush, Feb. 21, 2001

"It's good to see so many friends here in the Rose Garden. This is our first event in this beautiful spot, and it's appropriate we talk about policy that will affect people's lives in a positive way in such a beautiful, beautiful part of our national - really, our national park system, my guess is you would want to call it."-George W. Bush, Feb. 8, 2001

"We're concerned about AIDS inside our White House - make no mistake about it." -George W. Bush, Feb. 7, 2001

"There's no such thing as legacies. At least, there is a legacy, but I'll never see it." -George W. Bush, speaking to Catholic leaders at the White House, Jan. 31, 2001

"I appreciate that question because I, in the state of Texas, had heard a lot of discussion about a faith-based initiative eroding the important bridge between church and state." -George W. Bush, speaking to reporters, Washington, D.C., Jan. 29, 2001

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but for predecessors as well." -George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 29, 2001

"Then I went for a run with the other dog and just walked. And I started thinking about a lot of things. I was able to - I can't remember what it was. Oh, the inaugural speech, started thinking through that." -George W. Bush, in a pre-inaugural interview with U.S. News & World Report

"Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment." -George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

"I'm hopeful. I know there is a lot of ambition in Washington, obviously. But I hope the ambitious realize that they are more likely to succeed with success as opposed to failure." -George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

"The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants." -George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

"If he's - the inference is that somehow he thinks slavery is a - is a noble institution I would - I would strongly reject that assumption - that John Ashcroft is a open-minded, inclusive person."-George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

"She's just trying to make sure Anthony gets a good meal - Antonio." -George W. Bush, on Laura Bush inviting Justice Antonin Scalia to dinner at the White House, Jan. 2001

"I want it to be said that the Bush administration was a results-oriented administration, because I believe the results of focusing our attention and energy on teaching children to read and having an education system that's responsive to the child and to the parents, as opposed to mired in a system that refuses to change, will make America what we want it to be - a more literate country and a hopefuller country." -George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

#120818 - 05/15/03 08:47 PM Re: OT: Huh???
Idatrod Offline

It looks like the Prez would make an outstanding stand up comic. Some of those quotes are hilarious! I'm not laughing at him necessarily but with him. He is very easy going and good natured. "Just a good ol' boy from Texas." And he likes a good laugh too. If you notice his speeches, ie., (those that don't deal with Iraq, etc.) you usually will hear him crack some type of joke now and then. He even made a joke when he gave the commencement ceremony at one of his Alma Mater's, ie., Yale University. (He also graduated with an MBA from Harvard.) It is well known that he was just a middle of the road student at Yale and he liked to party and carouse around a lot. During the commencement ceremony he pointed out that fact to the students and quipped: "To those of you who received honors, awards, and distinctions, I say, well done. And to the C students," said Bush, alluding to his own performance in the classroom, "I say, you, too, can be president of the United States." PS: From the quotes posted above I don't think English was one of his majors.

But we love ya GW! He took the bull by the horns when many a former President might have cowered and waffled endlessly regarding our nations present situation. When he leaves office though I expect to see him as a regular on Saturday Night Live!

Best regards,
Mike

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online