SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#120761 - 03/27/02 09:47 AM Old dog, new trick
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
A while back, an elderly friend of mine, who used to play nursing homes but is no longer able, gave me his Shure cordless mic. It has an SM58 capsule. I didn't use it for a long time but a few weeks ago decided to try it.
I find it is very simple and useful because I can sit the transmitter on my keyboard and, plug the cord into the mic input on the PSR2000, and I'm ready to go.
Once you adjust the inputs/sends on the transmitter and the keyboard, the noise level is quite low and the mic sounds great. Since the unit uses a 1/4-inch cord, it seems ready-made for use with the 2000. Once you have the input on the keyboard set, you can use the knob on the transmitter for minor mic volume adjustments.
It also allows for easy sound check and interaction with the audience. (Particularly useful at Nursing Homes and Senior shows, where I play a midi file of "Teddy Bear" and go into the audience and pick a lady resident to sing to and give a Bear).
Only negatives are that I have to replace the 9-volt battery every couple of nights (as the battery goes down, the noise level goes up), and I have to use a much larger mic clip on the stand.
Don

#120762 - 03/27/02 11:33 AM Re: Old dog, new trick
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Don M goes wireless !!

Who da thunk it ?

#120763 - 03/27/02 11:44 AM Re: Old dog, new trick
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Uncle Dave!
You mean! Don came all unwired!!!
Naw!!!
Nobby

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 03-27-2002).]

#120764 - 03/27/02 12:50 PM Re: Old dog, new trick
DonM Offline

Workin' without a net!

#120765 - 03/27/02 01:32 PM Re: Old dog, new trick
Dnj Offline

I hate Wireless Mic's! Cant trust them, fine fior a second mic for wanabe drunk singers, Toasts, Speeches, but not for my main vocals. One time in the middle of performing "MY WAY" on stage I started to hear a TAXI CAR SERVICE Dispatcher giving out calls!! "10-4" "Come in Car #23" etc. How embarrassing!.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-27-2002).]

#120766 - 03/27/02 01:42 PM Re: Old dog, new trick
DonM Offline

In the little towns where I do Nursing Home shows, there are no taxis!
I don't use it much except for the little jobs where I set up with minimal gear and time.
But I think it sounds great. I have had no signs of interference, even at the little club I'm playing in Bossier City, and it is almost next door to the Fire Station.
I used to have a powered mixer that picked up CBs and radio station extremely well.
I haven't had any problem with that in years though.
Don

#120767 - 03/27/02 03:15 PM Re: Old dog, new trick
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny,
That MAY not be a wireless problem. I work lots af areas where large attenae transmit radio signals right through my speakers. Roxboro Pa is just such an area, and I hear Jerry Blavat yappin in my ear all night long!
(The geeter with the heater - what a moron)

MI have several wireless mics, and if you have a uhf, true diversity mic with a good element .... it is every bit as good as a wired mic. The only trade off is a slight frequency dip on the high end, but that is usually corrected with EQ, and mostly undetectable.

Wireless is here to stay. I'm sure midi will be wireless soon too. The technology exists now, but it's not practical or economical yet.

#120768 - 03/27/02 08:25 PM Re: Old dog, new trick
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
In Don's neck of the woods they don't have cabs, they still use horse and buggy.

Tom

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online