SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#120742 - 05/31/07 06:18 AM Re: Beginning to perform vocally
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
One of the great advantages for a OMB kb player/vocalist is the 'transpose' key ... If you normally sing a song in the key of C and one night your vocal chords are a little strained, you can drop down a 1/2 step to B and not have a horn player going crazy ...
t.

#120743 - 05/31/07 07:53 AM Re: Beginning to perform vocally
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'm a bit of a one-track mind - "Take some lessons" is the only advice I consistently give to starters in this business, because I know what it's done for me.

I spent about 10 years doing backing and occasional lead vocals before taking lessons (at night school with 20 others!); my absolute vocal range hasn't changed but it sure sounds better, is more usable at the extremes of its range (especially the low end), and I am much less prone to strain and sore throats. I cannot emphasise enough the degree to which vocal lessons have made the job easier.

And this doesnt just apply to the rock end of the repertoire. The improvements in pure physical mechanics that I learnt at the lessons has audibly improved the quality of my voice at low sound levels due to the greatly improved control.

Ultimately, do whatever works for you, but it must be comfortable and natural.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online