Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#120710 - 02/22/07 06:07 AM Re: PA800 songs
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
Don, Thanks for sharing. I know that you've only had the PA800 for a short time, but do you think that Korg responded to those who asked for a lighter weight, relatively less expensive board with more styles and features?
Ciao,
Jerry

Jerry, I think that's exactly what they've done. The weight is very manageable, and it is giant leap from the PA80. I've never played a PA1X so can't compare it there.
I'm not certain it's the right fit for me, because my time is so limited right now.
The PA800 is extremely deep as far as editing styles and sounds and setting it up to suit your needs. Not sure I want to invest the time necessary to make it mine.
DonM

#120711 - 02/22/07 01:30 PM Re: PA800 songs
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks DonM, great stuff. Looking forward to more from you.

#120712 - 02/22/07 04:18 PM Re: PA800 songs
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don when I listened to your songs on your site....I thought the G70 recordings[instrumentally] were far better sounding then the PA800...I removed my post after I posted my comments..but since you seem to feel the same way[I think}..I responded here..Your vocals are always top shelf..as your guitar work is too..

#120713 - 02/22/07 08:57 PM Re: PA800 songs
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If only the G70 would use shoddy cases and keys, it would be SO much more popular!

Maybe Roland need to take a look at making a G70 'Lite'! It won't matter if it is flimsy, and unreliable in the long term.... just as long as it is light......

#120714 - 02/22/07 10:15 PM Re: PA800 songs
DonM Offline

The PA800 does not have a shoddy case or flimsy construction. It is well made and still maintains a reasonable weight. It also has great-sounding onboard speakers.
I wish it sounded a little better out-of-the-box, but the sounds are certainly in there.
As I recall, when the G70 was first released it didn't sound it's best. Roland later made a software upgrade that turned it around. The sound is unrelated to the weight.
And yes, if Roland made the G70 in a package about half the weight, I'd buy one. It does have its compromises, such as no multipads, clumsy fill/intro/ending operation, no style/lyrics display and a few others, but then none of the boards I've tried has been perfect.
I am 100 percent certain that if I take the time I can make the PA800 sound every bit as good as the G70, but the fact is I DON'T have the time to spare right now.
And, whether it meets with everybody's approval, I won't keep a keyboard that doesn't fit my purpose. The G70 came very close, but is too heavy. The PA800 is very close as well. The Tyros 2 was also an exceptional board, with no real drawbacks, but not exactly the distinctive sound for which I'm looking to find.
Having said all this, I will probably play the Midjay with controller for a while, to accommodate my comfort level and available time. When I get more free time, I may revisit the PA800.
Right now it's for sale.
DonM

#120715 - 02/22/07 10:16 PM Re: PA800 songs
DonM Offline

Sorry for some reason the post entered twice.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 02-22-2007).]

#120716 - 02/22/07 10:48 PM Re: PA800 songs
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
This is what i dont get Don. Each time you buy a new board i hear the same kind of phrases. " if you had more time it might be the board you would keep" . Then you sell it and purchase another board a few weeks/months later. Surely if you stuck with one board whatever it is , by now you would have become infinately comfortable with it,made all the fine tuning that you didnt have time to do before and tweaked it to perfection !

I know its fun buying and selling keyboards . Maybe thats the piece of the jigsaw that i dont get .

#120717 - 02/23/07 06:09 AM Re: PA800 songs
DonM Offline

I don't recall that being a primary reason for me to change boards before. I am quite familiar with Yamaha and Ketron OS. And I did spend the time to make the G70 "my own", even though it wasn't. I may have said that about the Tyros 2, because to make it sound more like the "live" sound I'm looking for would have taken a lot of time.
I tend to change keyboards about once a year, although last year was a big exception.
I actually played the PSR2000 for more than two years!
In the case of the PA800, there is the time involved, which I mentioned. Some of this is related to the manner in which lyrics are entered. They must be placed into a Songbook file for each song. I have many hundreds of lyrics and I don't want to do this. Of course I don't use most of them most of the time, but I do want them available. Currently I use a laptop for this, and I would like to eliminate that from my setup if possible.
From the keyboards and setups I've tried, the Ketron Midjay comes closest to what I need, and that's probably what I'll use until the next great thing comes along.
Meanwhile, you can take advantage of my foolishness by getting a killer deal on a PA800!
DonM

#120718 - 02/23/07 10:46 AM Re: PA800 songs
Dnj Offline

Don....thanx for playing guinea pig this time around with the Pa800 I really appreciate your input, demos and opinions as always...I'll agree that KB weight with us "Power Giggers" is crucial to our comfort level even though some dont thing so...at least you gave it a shot, no harm done....I personally never heard you better then when you playing a Ketron SD-1 but hey maybe Ketron is your ticket listen back to your SD-1 songs and see if I'm right....maybe you could trade the PA800 for another SD-1.....what ever way you go Good Luck buddy!!

Carry on!

#120719 - 02/23/07 11:01 AM Re: PA800 songs
DonM Offline

DNJ,
Thanks, the SD1 is getting pretty dated. I've decided to use the Midjay with controller again, at least for a while.
I saved all my settings, so all I have to do is spend a half-hour or so re-acquainting myself with it. The weak spot is the vocal harmonizer, but I can live with it for now.
It will be no problem to sell the Pa800 at the price I'm asking.
It hurts to have to let it go, because there are some really great styles and sounds on it. Also, the key touch is suited for me.
DonM

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online