SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#120516 - 07/09/06 02:55 AM Re: Early report G70
weissefar Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Listening to demos of styles or songs is not the same as playing the styles themselves.
I understand this opinion and know that it is shared by more than one person But in my view this can't be used as an excuse to infringe copyright. Look at life in general. There are lots of laws and rules that we have to follow - and we do. That's what makes us civilized. So I don't follow your line of rethoric... Try to take your kind of rethoric into the rules that apply in trafic...

Quote:
I have heard many online demos, saying I have to get one of those kb's to find out that it doesn't sound anywhere that good in person playing in live arranger style.
This applies to many products IRL - not just style files. Take a look around your home. Any products that might have disappointed you aftert you bought it?! My point is that it doesn't allow anyone to infringe copyright!

Quote:
The Korg PA80 and Technics KN2600 are 2 keyboards that tend to mislead this way, IMHO, whereas Yamaha demos sound about they way they will sound when you play them yourself.
Having owned arranger keyboards since the late 80's I have learned that you should NEVER trust a demo from the manufacturer! Always listen to user demos - just like on the G-70 User Club website. These are telling the truth. And there are thousands of them on the Internet - again, no excuse to infringe copyright

Have a nice day my friend...

[This message has been edited by weissefar (edited 07-09-2006).]

#120517 - 07/09/06 05:11 AM Re: Early report G70
HankB Offline

Loc: Bossier City, La. USA
Guys I certainly didn’t intend to start a conflict about Roland and Yamaha but I was ask by Telmo to compare the two keyboards. I have only had the G-70 a few days so I cannot give a reasonable comparison, but I will say that Scott hit upon a truism about Roland there is much more support for my PSR-3000 than for my Roland I guess the reason being there are more Yamaha users than Roland users. I live in a large metropolitan area and could not find a G-70 to try I was told that it was a marketing strategy for Roland that only certain types of music stores could carry the G-70 this type of music store I don’t frequent.

I will say the G-70 has many good features and sounds very good but Roland needs to understand as we say in the south (you catch more flies with honey). I was going to sell my 3000 and Midjay but have changed my mind and will keep them both. Being from Shreveport Bossier and having worked on the original Louisiana Hayride my heart is in country music, so far I have found this is an area Roland falls very short on. I must say Roland has nice Big Band, Hip Hop, and Rock styles so I hope there might be some good country styles out there that I can use.

Hank

#120518 - 07/09/06 05:49 AM Re: Early report G70
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hank,

Don't sell the 3000--it's your bread and butter machine. I have about 35,000 styles, many of which are great country styles, and you are welcome to copies of all of them. As I have said in the past, there are more third-party styles available for Yamaha keyboards than all others combined. And, when you need useful information and assistance for a Yamaha keyboard, post a question and within minutes someone will have a solid answer for you.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#120519 - 07/09/06 06:01 AM Re: Early report G70
weissefar Offline

Quote:
Guys I certainly didn’t intend to start a conflict about Roland and Yamaha
This is just exchanging points of view - not a conflict. Don't be sorry. Always interesting to learn what other people think

Quote:
there is much more support for my PSR-3000 than for my Roland I guess the reason being there are more Yamaha users than Roland users.
That's excactly the matter. Nothing strange/new about that... unluckily Roland is not doing much of an effort to boost their keyboard club website. In my point of view they are way to unamtitious! It seems to me that they use their marketing budgets in a wrong way.

Quote:
I live in a large metropolitan area and could not find a G-70 to try I was told that it was a marketing strategy for Roland that only certain types of music stores could carry the G-70 this type of music store I don’t frequent.
Yes, this is the most crazy strategy!?!? To whom does this make any sense?! Wake up Roland!

Quote:
I will say the G-70 has many good features and sounds very good but Roland needs to understand as we say in the south (you catch more flies with honey). I was going to sell my 3000 and Midjay but have changed my mind and will keep them both. Being from Shreveport Bossier and having worked on the original Louisiana Hayride my heart is in country music, so far I have found this is an area Roland falls very short on.
They are hundreds of country style out there for Roland arrangers. They are not optimized for the G-70, but they play fine on the G-70. Using the G-70's make-up tool you can easily make the older Roland styles sound good. BTW - there are also great styles made especially for the G-70 .

Quote:
I must say Roland has nice Big Band, Hip Hop, and Rock styles so I hope there might be some good country styles out there that I can use.
Sure - there are plenty of styles to get. You will probably be able to get thousands of styles from your friends here at SZ. There are also website offering free styles, and then there are a few manufacturers producing styles for the G-70:

Free downloads: http://home.planet.nl/~aeduin/downloadRoland.htm http://www.selskabsmusikeren.dk/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=24&Itemid=32 http://www.task4.biz/klanten/RolandE600/download.htm http://www.keyboardforum.nl/stylesroland.php

Buy styles: http://www.selskabsmusikeren.dk/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=23&Itemid=23
Especially look for Midi Spot and PVK Midifiles.

But there is MUCH MORE out there Good luck!

#120520 - 07/09/06 03:38 PM Re: Early report G70
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hank, AFTER the fact, I found a G70 at Toledo Music in Shreveport. I doubt they even know how to turn it on. I asked one of the owners about it and he didn't have a clue what it even was. It was priced $3999.99!
DonM

#120521 - 07/09/06 04:50 PM Re: Early report G70
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Offer them $3200-3500, they'll probably take it just to get it out of their store!

Roland's decision to market the G series through their 'Mom and Pop Organ store' CK Division has been the biggest disaster for the G70 in the US.

The previous G-1000 was marketed through the regular MI Division, and had no problem being found, competing, and even (dare I say it?) dominating the competition. Also, after-market support was good, now it's barely existent.

It just appears (although probably not what they intended......) that Roland US have basically given up on trying to get Americans to appreciate their top-of-the-line arrangers, and put ALL their focus and energy into the Fantom and Juno lines.............

All the CK Division is interested in is selling you (or rather, your parents!) hopelessly over-priced musical furniture, and the G70 just doesn't fit their level of expertise. My local CK dealer won't even order in ONE SR-G01 SRX board (a G70 specific SRX board) to even try............ pathetic!

ALL support, new styles and help is coming from European and S. American sources, there is not one iota of American support.......... It's like they are saying, 'go ahead, Yamaha - help yourself to our US markets.......'

WAKE UP. ROLAND!! How could you let the success of the G1000 slide SO far..........?

#120522 - 07/10/06 07:10 AM Re: Early report G70
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Diki,
Please allow me to chime in here with this discussion. I've been on Vacation the past 5 days so I've been away from my computer.
Although I am not a CK dealer, Roland had set me up as a G70 dealer when it arrived in the States last year. I do think that Roland CK realized that this product would be more difficult to sell through just CK dealers who prefer selling the products that look more like upright and grand pianos. I've been told that other dealers like myself were to be brought on board as roland CK sees a need in a specific area of the country.
In my store, the price is right in line with every other 76 key arranger I sell in this catogory of product. I know of the reputation of the home dealers in the past regarding prices, but I can assure you that in my music store, this doesn't occur and in fact, Hank purchased his G70 from me and at a price he was very happy with. Right before I left for my trip I spoke on the phone with Hank and told him that upon my return, I would be sending him out a compact flash card with hundreds of additional styles loaded for him to use.
I'm sorry if I added to this discussion growing even more, but I felt I had to defend the fact that there is a dealer, not a CK traditional dealer selling G70's to many customers here in the USA.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#120523 - 07/10/06 01:29 PM Re: Early report G70
Dnj Offline

It seems everyone I talk to about the G70 who actually owns one just shrugs their shoulders and says "Its just OK" no one really raving about it or blown away with its features so far ....I just wish I could find one around here to at least play it for a few hours & see & hear it with MY OWN EARS I take opinions with a grain of salt until I try a Unit Myself.
This whole Roland marketing thing is too weird for me I hope it improves in the future..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-10-2006).]

#120524 - 07/10/06 04:17 PM Re: Early report G70
weissefar Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
[B]It seems everyone I talk to about the G70 who actually owns one just shrugs their shoulders and says "Its just OK" no one really raving about it or blown away with its features so far
Well, that surely depends on what information source you use Take a look at this thread ....

[This message has been edited by weissefar (edited 07-10-2006).]

#120525 - 07/10/06 07:39 PM Re: Early report G70
Dnj Offline

Thanks for the info on happy owners.....& I'm sure its all true, in fact I wish the t2 had a few of these too ......except for the weight its all good....very kool & usable on board features. I will definitely try one in the near future.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-10-2006).]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online