SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#120180 - 01/23/03 04:55 PM Sound Check
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Hey Folks,
Ok, I'm on a budget. Armed with my PSR2000 and recording into a hi-fi tape player. Taking that tape and using line in and recording it onto my computer. Using Goldwave. A strait recording without muddling it up with thier effects. Then converting the wave to Mp3. What do you think of the quality? I did songs you would know for the sound check. If I can get good levels with this I can stop all the tech stuff and get on with recording my stuff... http://www.gamegadget.com/mp3.html
Thanks for listening.

------------------
I don't steer the ship, I bail out the water.

#120181 - 01/23/03 05:05 PM Re: Sound Check
trtjazz Offline

Bb,
Well 2 good tunes....if you want an honest opinion though, about the recording.....It sounds like a single microphone set up in front of a band at a small club and recorded live.

There's no seperation of instruments, too much reverb, that makes it sound hollow and the overall control over distortion and EQ is missing.
jam on,
Terry

------------------

http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#120182 - 01/23/03 05:55 PM Re: Sound Check
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
BB,

It sounds like you're taking the long road around the barn. Eliminate the tape deck--you don't need it. There's no separation of the sounds, and there seems to be a lot of distortion. The vocal to music balance, however, is right on the money.

You can record directly into your computer using the PSR-2000 by taking the keyboard's output and plugging it directly into the computer's sound card Line In on the back of your computer. You find detailed instructions on how to do this at http://psrtutorial.com/Intermediate/Recording/recording.htm

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#120183 - 01/24/03 08:59 AM Re: Sound Check
beachbum Offline

Thanks guys,
I just listened to it at work. And it sounds like crap. I think I know what I'm doing wrong. I'm monitoring the sound through powered speakers on my computer. I need to monitor directly from the sound card. Tonight I'll lug my computer upstairs and record to it and by-pass the tape.
Thanks again.

------------------

#120184 - 01/25/03 01:11 AM Re: Sound Check
beachbum Offline

Ok, try the link again! I went from my psr2000 to my computer. Cutting out the tape player and using the goldwave sound recorder. I have a crappy on board sound card. Due to the fact I spent so much on my keyboard my wife would cut off the dangling bits if I purchased any more. Let me know if this is better. I just want to get the right sound so I can record my own stuff... Since I feel at home here this is the only place I post. And yes, when I'm at work I read all the posts on the forum... And as much as I would like to talk politics I know my place on the wheel...

------------------

#120185 - 01/25/03 12:39 PM Re: Sound Check
travlin'easy Offline

Yeah, that's how it's done! Big improvement in the ballance between vocal and keyboard, no distortion, crisp sounds. Bid improvement over the first try.

Lookin' Good Mon'

Gary

#120186 - 01/25/03 12:56 PM Re: Sound Check
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I found a free audio editor called AUDACITY

Anybody tried it ? Is it acceptable compared to Goldwave ? I just want to record some music on CD's for fun. Nothing serious or commercial.

Here is the link
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about.php?lang=en

#120187 - 01/25/03 03:50 PM Re: Sound Check
travlin'easy Offline

Looks like a really straight-forward recording program and from the way it appears, it's probably user friendly. I'll download it tonight and provide a review sometime tomorrow.

Cheers,

Gary

#120188 - 01/26/03 01:15 AM Re: Sound Check
beachbum Offline

Thanks Traveling,
I just want to get a good sound so I can write and record my own stuff. The only thing I notice between singing live and recording is recording is less forgiving...
Thanks again for giving it a listen....

------------------

#120189 - 01/27/03 01:37 AM Re: Sound Check
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Listening to yourself on tape is scary. You hear every imperfection. Strangely, no-one else seems to hear them as badly!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online