SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#119766 - 08/23/04 10:45 AM Any tips for playing strings and brass sounds ?
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I am an okay keyboard players with just a decent skill at piano and bass sounds although I could definitely use more tips.

Any tips for playing strings ?

Brass sounds ?

#119767 - 08/24/04 02:57 PM Re: Any tips for playing strings and brass sounds ?
Quasar Offline

Hi Lukitoh,

I'm no expert myself, but have experimented with playing a string solo with the right hand while very gently but quickly rocking a pitch bend wheel to create a pseudo-vibrato, with some success.

If you have a synth (soft or hard) with portimenti controls, you can set this to a value greater than zero so that one note "slurs" or glides into the next. And if you have a mod wheel, you can change the attack velocity, again with the left hand, while you play a string melody with the right.

Also, I've heard of people setting their pitch blend to a full 12 tone range to play electric guitar-type stuff, but I've tried it and haven't been able to make it work very well. Maybe you could.

There are others who know far more about this than me, but I hope this helps.

Quasar

#119768 - 08/25/04 02:53 PM Re: Any tips for playing strings and brass sounds ?
KN_Fan Offline

for Brass- sometimes you can try playing some brass lines with two hands in unison.

For attack stab-brass type chords...when you press the chords/stacatto kinda way, use the mod wheels at the same time.

Tough to explain...hope this is not confusing.

#119769 - 08/25/04 03:38 PM Re: Any tips for playing strings and brass sounds ?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Assuming your kb is edittable, try tweaking the attack and release times, in addition to the cut off.
Works for me....

------------------
...L

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online