SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#119602 - 12/10/03 08:33 AM Re: Ready to Purchase: Best Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Recorder for under $1,500
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomcat:
Hi Scott,
I strongly recommend you go to www.korgstudios.com which is a forum for Korg digital recorders

Tom, Many thanks for turning me on to what looks to be a wonderful site. As a 'newbie' to 'digital audio workstation' recording I know I'll find this site invaluable.

Quote:

I love my D1600

I Would love to hear some of your music produced on your Korg D1600.

Quote:

but wish it had the USB port the MKII has instead of the SCSI port it has.

Yes, the D1600MKII's 'USB port' was a BIG factor (2nd only to its 24 bit recording capability) in my decision to go with the MKII version. I'm really curious though, if the D1600MKII supports USB 2.0. Anyone know?

If it does, I think it's time for me to invest in a USB 2.0 PCI card. Any brand/model recommendations? I just hope I have a spare PCI slot available in my PC (Dell Dimension 8200).

Scott

#119603 - 12/10/03 09:03 AM Re: Ready to Purchase: Best Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Recorder for under $1,500
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Larry:
In my case, size of gear and useable space in a "closet" studio is a major consideration for every purchase. The D16 is about the size of a book.

The D16's SMALL size is definitely a BIG plus, especially for taking on the road.

I had really grappled over the 'size vs feature issue' in trying to decide between the smaller Korg D1200MKII or the larger D1600MKII, but my muisc store sale associate convinced me that even though I might not think I need to use all the recording tracks of the larger D1600 now, that I will 'much sooner than later' appreciate & want to use 'all' of them. In addition, the 1600's touch screen navigation really is COOL! The smaller D1200 doesn't include this.

Scott

#119604 - 12/10/03 02:34 PM Re: Ready to Purchase: Best Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Recorder for under $1,500
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott,

I'm using this one: http://www.conceptronic.net/product3.asp?g=7&p=*CSP480C3

Very easy to install under Windows XP. Two USB 2.0 ports + ONE very useful (for Digital Cameras, MP3 players, USB MiniDisks) Mini USB port.

There are many other good options, of course.

-- José.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
If it does, I think it's time for me to invest in a USB 2.0 PCI card. Any brand/model recommendations? I just hope I have a spare PCI slot available in my PC (Dell Dimension 8200).

#119605 - 12/10/03 04:23 PM Re: Ready to Purchase: Best Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Recorder for under $1,500
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by matias:
Scott,

I'm using this one: http://www.conceptronic.net/product3.asp?g=7&p=*CSP480C3

Very easy to install under Windows XP. Two USB 2.0 ports + ONE very useful (for Digital Cameras, MP3 players, USB MiniDisks) Mini USB port.

Cool, but isn't the one you're refering to intended only for use on laptops?

Btw: many THANKS for the terrific santa surprise package I received in the mail from you recently. I find all the goodies real helpful & useful, especially now, during this very busy gig season. Happy Tyros & Merry Christmas - Scott

#119606 - 12/11/03 03:17 AM Re: Ready to Purchase: Best Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Recorder for under $1,500
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Cool, but isn't the one you're refering to intended only for use on laptops?

Of course it's a PCMCIA solution... Where do I have my head? For desktop PCs the solution should be even less expensive, but I have no experience on this.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by matias (edited 12-11-2003).]

#119607 - 12/11/03 07:04 AM Re: Ready to Purchase: Best Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Recorder for under $1,500
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
Hi Scott,

Unfortunately, the USB is only 1.1, so if you have that capability you don't need to get 2.0. It's not really a big deal, though. What you do is use a 2 gig partition to store your wave files (songs) on and then read that partition from the computer and load the wave file directly into whatever editing/mastering software you choose to use. My personal preference is to use Sound Forge 6 (or 7) for editing and then use EZ CD Creator (last version of 5) to burn a disk at once CD. SF 7 is REALLY fast in it's rendering and comes with enough directX plugins that you can do most anything necessary using it alone. The WaveHammer is a particularly good compressor for mastering use.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#119608 - 12/12/03 10:39 AM Re: Ready to Purchase: Best Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Recorder for under $1,500
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Just FYI. The AW series does not use a compressed format.
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
George actually I did mention in one of my posts about the AW's that they record 16 bit and compressed format...

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America
YCASupport@yamaha.com

#119609 - 12/12/03 10:52 AM Re: Ready to Purchase: Best Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Recorder for under $1,500
trtjazz Offline

Steve
Then I stand corrected as it was my understanding that in fact it did compress the data. Thanks for the correction.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 12-12-2003).]

#119610 - 12/13/03 06:37 AM Re: Ready to Purchase: Best Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Recorder for under $1,500
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott,
It's been 2 days .... isn't it time to exchange the 1200 for something esle?

#119611 - 12/13/03 09:30 AM Re: Ready to Purchase: Best Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) Recorder for under $1,500
Scottyee Offline

Uncle Dave, The last 2 days I couldn't even find time to exchange my underwear. Seriously though, the D1200mkII looks to be the perfect fit. I realized that size 'does' matter, and at least in 'this case', small is what I needed.

The D1200mkII's an all in one 24 bit recording studio in an ultra portable (7 lb) package. What's particularly appealing is that its USB support allows you to easily transfer tracks to/from the PC: for data backup, or to work with in Sonar or SoundForge. In addition, I really love those tiny new (9 lb) KRK V4 near field monitors I got for monitoring/mixing: great detail,tonally neutral, well balanced, and non-fatigueing. With the added KRK S8 sub, it sounds even better. Check them out if you haven't already heard these yet:

Sound on Sound Magazine Review: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr02/articles/krkv4s8.asp

I'm looking forward to spending more time playing with this new gear as soon as this mad xmas gig rush settles down. Got 3 shows back to back today.

Happy holidays to all - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-13-2003).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online