SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#119510 - 10/04/01 07:11 AM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Hi Beakybird. A condenser mic is the preferred mic for most vocal applications as they tend to among other things, handle the highs that give a vocal that "airy" quality much better than a dynamic mike. Dynamic mics on the other hand tend to be more rugged and able to handle higher sound levels than their condenser counterparts. The condenser mic element is typically not as rugged as the dynamic mic element. The term cardioid refers to the pick up pattern of a mic. A cardioid pattern is a heart shaped pattern that focuses the main gain of the mic forward and suppresses the rear or behind the mics gain. Both dynamic mics and condenser mics can exhibit a cardioid pattern. The condenser mics tend to be a little "hotter" than their dynamic counterparts as well. Hope this helps.

#119511 - 10/04/01 08:28 AM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
Beakybird Offline

Thank you! So it sounds like the Crown CM-311A is a good way to go.
Now I've heard people say that the condenser mic element isn't as sturdy. Do these mics break a lot in live applications?

Larry

#119512 - 10/04/01 10:06 AM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Larry under "normal" use the condenser mics are very reliable for live use. Where they sometimes have reliability problems is when they are carted around to different gigs day in and day out. hmmm... sounds like what most of us arranger giggers do A headset condenser might not fit into that category as they seem to be built for more "active" use than the studio or hand held condenser mic. I guess the standard "you mileage may vary" disclaimer would apply here.

#119513 - 10/04/01 12:37 PM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Was talking to a sound man regarding trying out a Crown CM311A headset mic and my concern regarding feedback/compression-he advised checking out the 'Behringer'- Shark DSP110. I found it on a'Google' search. NEAT little unit!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online