SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#119500 - 10/02/01 09:08 PM Headset mic. Need recommendation
Beakybird Offline

I need a recommendation on a good headset mic for an arranger keyboard.
I've been using a Radioshack headset mic with my PSR 740. The three good things about it are that it's very comfortable, has a three year extended warranty, and best of all, comes with a battery operated preamp that boosts the level. The downside is that it delivers somewhat mediocre audio quality. I mean, I'm very popular at my gigs, but when I record what comes out, I'm not very impressed.
For those who have never used a headset mic with an arranger keyboard, they have three big advantages:
1. Less gear to carry
2. You can look at the audience all around and still sing
3. You can look at the display and buttons on your keyboard and still sing.
I was wondering if someone could recommend a great headset mic that is suitable for an arranger keyboard? I've seen models by Nady, Shure, Crown, and Audio Technica. I see that there are a couple of condenser mics. One by Crown, for example, comes with a battery pack so you don't need phantom power. I wonder if anyone has had excellent luck with using one of these headset mics with their arranger.

Thank you,

Larry

#119501 - 10/03/01 03:20 AM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
I'm using crown --no detail on it friend purchased it in USA and cost me about £180 -- I ue it with Dynacord Powermate1000 and I prefer the sound to shure sm58 beta. I love the freedom to lean sidways and thump the piano and I love the freedom to lean backwards to alleviate Feedback and soreback !! I love the freedom to bend down and check gear as needed and to lean sidways and pick up my guitar occasionally. Probs I cannot "play the Microphone" as it is fixed whereas with mic on stand I can pull back at high notes or get closer as needed. I wouldnt ever wish to perform and sing through anything other than a headset. I played other system for 30 years and I am using headset two years. Fantastic.

#119502 - 10/03/01 03:23 AM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
flowerssupply Offline

Also !! new types have noisless turn off switch- perhaps that is better I am happy as it is. Serial no on Box 627387. I'm sure that the lads will have full info for you- but thats my experience. Pierce

#119503 - 10/03/01 06:22 AM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm using AKG C420. Very good sound, excellent low frequency response. Comes in several versions (small XLR for wirelless connection, XLR, battery powered). My version (XLR) needs phantom power, but I use a feedback destroyer that incorporates it.

#119504 - 10/03/01 06:31 AM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Hi Beakybird. This is a subject I can really relate to for the same reasons you've stated. I would also be interested in learning about any headset mics out there that could be used in recording as well.

#119505 - 10/03/01 01:09 PM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
-If you look for 'Crown headset mic' on Google, model CM-311A seems to be ok. Looks like it has off/on switch that can be setup 3 ways, good feed back rejection. As has been mentioned, the only problem with these units is that you can't 'work the mike'
I'm wondering if someone on this site that has used these units -along with some sort of compressor or limiter-(to keep the vocal level a little more even) could comment on this. In other words, how do you keep your
voice at a proper level when you sing a ballad-then switch to a up-beat number? I can't figure how most singers handle this problem without additional electronics. Any Ideas out there??

[This message has been edited by Gord (edited 10-03-2001).]

#119506 - 10/03/01 05:06 PM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
flowerssupply Offline

In relation to "working the mike" I seem to have adjusted to it (like Varifocals). I mean my body has adjusted and I am rarely aware of it. I can adjust my mouth and my vocal levels and I can push mick in or out even with lips. I think thats about it --I am certain that I have adjusted and I repeat I wouldnt ever use a mike on a stand again. Furthermore the sound seems to me to be better than the shure SM58 Beta that I now use for any singers that come up to sing during the night. Pierce.

#119507 - 10/03/01 08:10 PM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Thanks for your input on 'working the mike'.
I think it also depends on an individual's
'vocal range' and his/her material. I'll try one and if I have a problem with levels-then I can look into a compressor/limiter to try and control it.

#119508 - 10/04/01 05:57 AM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Hi Guys. I can see how a compressor/limiter would be invaluable on a headset mic. Without being able to "work the mic" on loud passages it would be very easy to overload the mic input. I think some arrangers have a compressor/limiter built in to the dsp but unfortunately my wk8 doesn't.

#119509 - 10/04/01 06:34 AM Re: Headset mic. Need recommendation
Beakybird Offline

Excuse my ignorance, but for the purpose of plugging a mic into an arranger keyboard's dedicated mic input, are there any advantages to having a condenser mic as opposed to a cardioid mic? Audio-technica makes a cardioid condenser headset and a condenser headset mic. I know that with a condenser mic, you would need a battery pack or a phantom power adapter. Having one of these (the Crown CM-311A comes with a battery pack for example) what's the difference in sound between this mic and a non-condenser mic?

Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online