SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#119437 - 10/14/05 11:31 AM Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
dschultze Offline

Loc: UK
Hi All,

Yesterday I had the privilege of playing both the Tyros 2 and the PA1X side by side for around 4 hours, so I thought I'd share some of my thoughts for the benefit of everyone. Let me start by saying that I'm neither a Yamaha nor Korg advocate having come from a Technics and Roland history and I'm now looking for a replacement for my KN7K. Therefore I'd like to think that I'm not biased towards either.

Both keyboards were played with their own speaker systems and neither were connected to any additional equipment or amplification. The Yamaha was using the Yamaha speaker system and the Korg its on board speakers. Both were played in their out of the box configuration. We played a variety of tunes from Bebop, Jazz, Ballroom, some old standards right up to some more modern pops and even some heavier metal type tunes.

Yamaha Tyros 2
----------------------

I'll start with the Tyros 2 as this is the order that we started in the shop. We began with a few previews of some of the sounds including the sweet, cool and of course the new super articulate voices. Yamaha have done a great job of the samples on the new Tyros 2. The sound was clear and strong and was very thick. The sounds were realistic and gave beautiful presence. The Super Articulate voices were also nice and sounded very sweet indeed. In particular the Brass, Organs and Saxophone sounds have made great strides. The sounds are clean and crisp and were very usable.

Taking nothing away from the quality of the sounds I must admit to not being blown away by Super Articulation. The concept of adding subtle nuances to sounds is not exactly a first and indeed triggering different samples from varying touch sensitivity has been something that most (if not all) manufacturers already achieve. Some of the effects (such as fret noise) are triggered by foot pedals and this also isn't anything that couldn't be done previously with other keyboards by assigning sounds to foot switches. What Yamaha have done though is to create this effect out of the box with no additional sound editing, making this very intuitive and usable.

Having said that though it's only the concept that didn't blow me away. The sounds themselves are beautiful and Yamaha have truly excelled themselves. Some of the sounds are still not quite convincing when played on their own, but I'd go as far to say that this is the best sounding Yamaha I've ever heard.

Moving on to the styles, these too impressed me. The intro's and endings are detailed and usable. And the styles themselves are beautifully rich and are also very usable fitting the musicality very well. I didn't notice any of the boom-ta-ta repetition that Yamaha have been criticised for in the past and my view is that the styles were well programmed and musical. The fills and breaks also deserve a mention as these fit the variations very well and transition cleanly providing a really subtle nuance to the music being played - just the way they should. There's also a great selection of styles fitting various types of music. For general playing I was able to find a style for everything I tried at the shop and wasn't left disappointed. The location of the fill and break buttons is also great, right by the left hand above the keyboard.

In terms of usability the Yamaha was a delight to operate. Having not used a Yamaha before (other than testing while selecting keyboards in the past) I was able to jump straight on and play without any trouble. The screen was large and clear and the buttons and controls are logically laid out and felt large and precise in their operation. The keyboard also felt good and was nicely weighted. I didn't notice any difficulties with odd sized keys and the touch sensitivity felt responsive and controllable. The overall look of the machine is very pleasing and the build quality seems to be of a good standard.

Korg PA1X
---------------

After listening to the Yamaha I was wondering how good the Korg would be and thought that maybe it was a little unfair to demo the Yamaha first. However as soon as we started playing the Korg, a smile came to my face. The sounds were simply awesome. The nylon guitar that sounded so beautiful on the Yamaha sounded every bit as good on the Korg. In fact I'd probably go as far to say that the sound engine on the Korg had a slight edge over the Yamaha. Of course the way an instrument sounds is purely subjective to the individual but there's no denying that the Korg is every bit as competent with it's voices as the Yamaha. The drums had a positive punch to them and the bass was deep and clear. The brass sounds were also excellent and many feature the multi samples triggered by the touch sensitivity. In fact, despite the super articulation of the Yamaha, many of the Korg sounds seemed to have the same subtle nuances and in my opinion some were actually richer than some of their Yamaha equivalents.

Moving on to the styles the Korg, similar to the Yamaha, once again impressed with it's detailed and usable styles. As with the Yamaha I wasn't left wanting at any time and managed to find something to suit all of the tunes that I tried on the Korg. In fact some of the styles on the Korg and the Yamaha were very similar. This was particularly evident using the bebop style which featured the same drum type solo's for variation 4 which I liked so much on the Yamaha. Similar to the Tyros the PA1X set the tempo when switching from style to style which is a great feature. The Korg only had 2 fills compared to the Yamaha's 4 (one for each variation) and this sometimes caused the fills to be a little out of place within the current variation. However this didn't cause a great deal of issue and overall the styles were excellent and usable. Both keyboards featured a break button. The intro's and endings were also very good on the Korg and a particular feature that I liked was the ability to use and ending with no chord changed programmed. This meant I could add my own chord sequence to the ending and play along to really match the finish to my song.

The usability is really where the Yamaha put the Korg to shame. Although I didn't find the Korg impossible to use (I am a bit of a geek though) it certainly wasn't as easy to pick up. I would think that the learning curve to truly "know" the PA1X would be quite steep. On the plus side though those programmable sliders and the location of the controls were enough to redeem any misgivings in the operating system. The sliders are something every keyboard should have - they make control so simple. The keyboard also felt fantastic. The keys are heavier than the Yamaha's being slightly more weighted but the overall feel is responsive and precise. At no time did I notice any issues with polyphony despite my best efforts to "break" it.
The machine looked and felt well built and good quality but in my opinion wasn't quite as "pretty" an the Tyros. However I guess on the flip side I would say that the Korg had a more professional look.

Summary
-------------

Both the Yamaha and the Korg didn't fail to impress. In fact it's now left me with a very hard choice to make. I would defy anyone to tell me that either of these keyboards is not as worthy as each other. In terms of sound and usability both of these keyboards I'm sure would perform very well and indeed there was little to choose between them. If I had to choose I would say that the Korg voices were a little more convincing but the Yamaha was much easier to use. When it comes to the choice I think my final decision will be made by the level of technical functionality that the board will provide. The Yamaha is a great looking instrument with an easy to use OS and a beautiful warm and rich sound. On the other hand the Korg has the benefit of the TC Helicon vocoder, lot's of add-ons and a real punchy and clear sound.

After putting these instruments side by side I'll now view all of those flame wars about whose is best with more contempt. Both of these machines are winners in their own right and deserve a place at the top of anybody's shopping list. They''re simply awesome and the only real answer is to own them both :-)

#119438 - 10/14/05 11:58 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I think those 2 keyboards have the best sounds out there but the tyros is easier to carry

#119439 - 10/14/05 11:59 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi dschultze, terrific unbiased & throughly detailed review. As a Tyros owner who has also auditioned the Korg PA1X, I came to the same conclusions. If the Tyros2 hadn't come out so early, I most probably would have most certainly purchased a Korg Pa1X Pro. I too find both keyboards have distinctly impresive different sounds & styles. The PA1X has some important more powerful features (audio sync drum loops, duo sequencer, more fills options), but the Yamaha Tyros1 (and now Tyros2, with the added incredible sounding live playable S.A. Voices and other improvments) offers a more intuitive user friendly navigation/operation 'on the fly' environment, suitable for live performance. I've ordered a Tyros2, but if/when cash allows, I may still eventually get a PA1X Pro too. Thanks again for your review, and good luck in whatever decision you make. Both are excellent choices. - Scott

#119440 - 10/14/05 02:48 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Now go play a G70 and see how it compares - I would like to hear what you think.

Stunning to not see you fail both for not enough keys - you DO play the piano, don't you?

Did you hear any dropouts on the Korg (only 48 voices) if you play busy on top of the styles?

#119441 - 10/14/05 03:52 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
The decision making problem raised in this thread is exactly why I bought a Korg PA80 and a Tyros - 3 years ago. Funny thing is my Tyros has let me down quite a few times (glitches and bugs)and quite honestly been a bitter disapointment for the price paid. The Korg has been a joy but I still can't get around the operating system that well. Like I said at the time, if we could get Y and K to team up . .. Oh well I can dream.

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 10-14-2005).]

#119442 - 10/14/05 03:56 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Stunning to not see you fail both for not enough keys - you DO play the Piano, don't you?

I half to agree .....I myself personally have had enough with 61 keys on stage, [ always having to use OCTAVE buttons to gain more range makes me nuts ] my next KB "WILL" have 76 keys for sure, most likly a Roland A-37. 61 keys cramps your playing style IMO.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-14-2005).]

#119443 - 10/14/05 04:18 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Donny are you going to go A-37 + Midjay? I'm thinking Tyros + Midjay. I don't need any more than 61 keys.

Tom

Tom

#119444 - 10/14/05 04:27 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Did you hear any dropouts on the Korg (only 48 voices) if you play busy on top of the styles?

Actually the Korg has "62" note polyphony (voices). Korg considers it a "generous" amount. I consider it a stingy amount and definitely not up to par with Yamaha and Rolands high end Arrangers. Even the PSR 3000 has 128 note polyphony and it is considered a "mid-range" Board. And for that matter the PSR 1500 has "96" note polyphony for goodness sakes. And it is one rung 'below' the 3000. And it costs under a "Grand" btw.

Do the math.. 62 voices is less than "half" of 128. Tell me if the Korg won't run out of polyphony before Yammie's and Roland's 128 note polyphony Boards - all things considered. When you reach 63 notes of polyphony on the Korg notes will start to drop out. Yamaha and Roland still have "65" notes of polyphony left before they would start to drop notes.

With Arrangers getting more and more complicated with added features such as Multipads (on Yammie Boards) and multi-layered Voices not to mention onboard Vocal Harmony which also uses up polyphony, etc., etc., you need all the polyphony i.e. "HORSEPOWER" you can get. In that respect Korg, in my opinion, fails to deliver. Plus unfortunately it weighs a ton. Figurately speaking mind you. If you Gig with the Korg you better have the strength of a Lumberjack else you may end up spending a whole lot of money, possibly more in fact than the amount of the Korg itself - on medical bills. Or should it be

But if you don't have to transport it and don't mind the Polyphony issue then I'm sure the Korg would suit most people fine. I have played the Pa1XPRO and agree it is one great sounding Arranger. The Styles are superb and it has many great sounding instrument voices. But it too is on the heavy side for a 76 key keyboard in my opinion; weighing in at 45 lbs. As we know the Pa1X (the one with 61 keys and speakers) weighs in at 48.5 lbs. Ouch!!! My aching back! Not only would my back most likely ache but in most instances I would probably run out of polyphony too because of my style of playing. And that's two BIG minuses I'm unwilling to deal with unfortunately.

Or I should say 'fortunately' instead I suppose huh.

Best regards,
Mike

#119445 - 10/14/05 04:36 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Donny are you going to go A-37 + Midjay? I'm thinking Tyros + Midjay. I don't need any more than 61 keys.Tom

A-37 & Midjay is a very good combo that Im exploring as we speak?
Tyros/Midjay could work fine also but to me is overkill and unneeded luggage to carry around.
If you dont play out much then no prob.....
The Midjay sounds Awesome & is Super versatile & multifaceted!

#119446 - 10/14/05 04:44 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
The Midjay sounds Awesome & is Super versatile & multifaceted!

Donny: Have you played & auditioned it? How about a full review?

Scott

#119447 - 10/14/05 05:51 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
oleg7 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Dschultze, a very well articulated and fair review. It has been at least 6 months since I have played the Korg and maybe they have addressed and reprogrammed some endings in the recent OS upgrades, but I am surprised that you did not notice or comment on the lack of short endings in most of the Korg styles. When you need to end the song quickly and do not want a 2-3 bar ending, the Korg comes up way short for me. The only way to do it is to probably use a "synchro end" setting... Yamaha always provides a short ending and this makes the styles so much more usable.

P.S. I auditioned the Roland G-70 at NAMM and it had no short endings either.

[This message has been edited by oleg7 (edited 10-14-2005).]

#119448 - 10/14/05 08:51 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
JimP Offline

Loc: Richfield, Ohio USA
oleg7,

You are wrong about the Roland G-70 not having short endings. Ending #1 on all Rom styles is a simple one measure ending.

I think that the G-70 has the best intro/endings of any arranger keyboard.

Intro/ending # 1 is a simple one measure intro/ending.

Intro/Ending #2 is always a four measure intro or ending that lets you supply the chord changes. This lets you have endings that "fits" the song and they all don't sound the same.

Intro/Ending #3 is longer and has a chord progression built-in but does not contain a melody line. The player adds a melody line on top of the arranger ending.

Intro/Ending #4 is the same as #3 but there is a melody line included.

I tried the PA1XPro and I strongly disliked the endings. On most styles, there is no short one measure ending. One of the endings lets you make the chord changes, except the length varied from four to ten measures depending on the style. You would have to remember how long the ending was for each style so you would trigger it at the right measure. The other ending supplied a very sophisticated chord progessions and orchestration. These were very well done except for three problems.
1.The length would very from four to ten measures depending on the style.
2.The chord progession and the ending were usualy more sophisticated than the chord progression in the song. The ending did not seem to fit with the song and did not sound natural.
3. The ending sounded like the same ending for every song using a particular style.

The PA1XPro has many terrific features but I could not live with the style endings.

#119449 - 10/14/05 09:01 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Donny: Have you played & auditioned it? How about a full review? Scott

At this time I have only briefly played one at the Ketron Midjay Demonstration given by Prince AJ that I attended a few weeks ago showing off all its attributs.
I was very impressed with the unit. Once I get it, I intend to give my thoughts after I fully explore the unit, set it up and play it on stage in a live situation. More to come

#119450 - 10/15/05 06:47 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
rumbero Offline

Loc: france
dschultze
Once again, very detailed and precious comparison; thank you very much. I was in the same situation than you few days ago and finally I very recently commanded a Tyros 2. I already own a PA 60 which rendered me great services and for that I decide to preserve it ! Korg has very great sounds and also punchy and groovy styles, but as you noticed, (I don't know exactly for the PA1X) when you want to edit something, you risk to have a headache and...spend a lot time ! A very great feature that seduces me on the Yam is that you can combine any element of 2 different styles and in a easy way; for example, you can import the compressed kick of one techno style and the bass motif of a funky groove rythm within a salsa. I think that such a combining possibility allows you great things.
Say that,with the Tyros 2,I have always that impression (I hope that is only an impression) of an attenuated sounding color, effectively less briliant than Korg.

[This message has been edited by rumbero (edited 10-15-2005).]

#119451 - 10/15/05 07:09 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
KeybPlayer you could not be more wrong about the polyphony of the korg PA1X.You are doing your maths wrong because you dont know how they handle polyphony.

Although it has 62 notes polyphony it handles that polyphony better than most 128 note polyphony keyboards including the Yamaha. Just because a sound may use 2 or 3 tibre/components to create a single sound, it does not follow that all the sounds are triggered at the same time. Korg have programmed the PA1X in such a way that the keyboard triggers combined sounds so that only the notes of polyphony actually required to make a sound are used when played.

eg the guitar may have a slight puck sound when played on the keyboard gently, it may have a more distorted sound when played harshly and may have more harmonics when played at the higher registers. Allthough there may be 3 or 4 different components that make up that single sound set, they are not all triggered simultaneously and only when required so if you really hammer the keyboard you might use up more poly but only the poly needed to produce the required sound. With my yamaha,if i play a single note that has a combined sound at different velocities the yamaha will still use all the notes of polyphony even if only one is required to play the sound i want, so whether i play soft or hard all the notes of polyphony are used at once.

Play the PA1X keyboard if you dont believe me and try and get a drop out!!! I talked to the Moderator at "Irish Acts" a guy called "sharp" who also designed some of the sounds on the Korg Extreme and is used extensively by korg for sound creation on their keyboards as this was one of my concerns after reading some of the posts on this board about the PA1X. There is nothing to fear regarding poly with the PA1X.

After literally looking for a replacement arranger for at least 3 years my PA1X gets delivered on Tuesday !!!

#119452 - 10/15/05 07:17 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Dnj Offline

Spalding .....Great spot on explaination regarding polyphony. The PAX1X is an awesome KB that will let you create whatever you want to do once you learn how......and that is the point with many of these Arrangers.....YOU have the power to make it sound the way YOU want to as you can customize in so many ways.......why would anyone want a company to dictate what I want to sound like out of the box which is usualy not acceptable?.....just give me the tools & I WILL BUILD THE HOUSE!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-15-2005).]

#119453 - 10/15/05 09:44 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Spalding .....Great spot on explaination regarding polyphony. The PAX1X is an awesome KB that will let you create whatever you want to do once you learn how......and that is the point with many of these Arrangers.....YOU have the power to make it sound the way YOU want to as you can customize in so many ways.......why would anyone want a company to dictate what I want to sound like out of the box which is usualy not acceptable?.....just give me the tools & I WILL BUILD THE HOUSE!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-15-2005).]

Well said!!!

#119454 - 10/15/05 10:18 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
There is nothing to fear regarding poly with the PA1X.

After literally looking for a replacement arranger for at least 3 years my PA1X gets delivered on Tuesday !!!

Congratulations on your soon to arrive Pa1X spalding!

Btw, your explanation of how Korg utilizes polyphony is very interesting. I did not know Korg allocated polyphony in such a way. If what you say is true then note drop outs would occur less frequently but unfortunately it is already an established fact that the Pa1X/PRO experiences note drop outs as confirmed by more than one of our SZ members who own the Pa1X/PRO.

Depending on your style of playing (e.g. no multiple layering of voices, sustain, etc.) you may never experience note drop outs yourself but don't count on it.

Let us know, if after you put it through its paces, that it indeed passes the test with flying colors.

I for one know that if I played it I would most definitely break the camels back so to speak, because of my style of playing and as others who own the Pa1X/PRO have already attested to that they also have experienced drop outs. But I commend Korg for the excellent way they allocate and distribute polyphony on the Pa1X. What they need to do in the future in my opinion is give their Boards at least 96 note polyphony (128 would be better yet); then they would be way ahead of the game and hopefully convince Yamaha to give their future Arrangers "256" note polyphony, which btw, can already be found on their current high end CVP line.

I don't see what the hinderance is to any of the big three or other players in the Keyboard game giving their Arrangers or even traditional Workstations much more polyphony than what we already see in current products. I think one reason that there is such a reluctance is that manufacturers try (are trying) to milk every ounce out of the current numbers, i.e. "sticking with 62/128/etc. for as long as they can to garner as much money possible from each current standard (niche) that the market supports, or rather 'allows'. It is that incremental increase that keeps not only the Big Three alive but all the rest of the manufacturers alive as well in my opinion. If they give too much too soon they basically shoot themselves in the foot and lose large quantities of revenue they otherwise would and do retain by doing the carrot on a stick approach regarding increases and upgrades to existing technologies. It's all about their bottom line as I am finding out, and the customer unfortunately is caught in the crossfires and not placed in the position as "number one" as they should be in my estimation.

Yamaha in particular cares about their customers but when it comes between us and their bottom line guess who wins out?

Aah Ha! I see you guessed correctly also huh?.. Yes, the bottom line wins out every time, so we/I have to keep playing the waiting game for the keyboard that will be a knock-out punch and the one that will meet my meticulous and demanding playing needs right out of the box. Because unfortunately I for one am finding out that I can't really count on Yamaha to support their products once they've been shipped. Trying to get Yamaha to support their products (even their most prized high-end products) is, in my opinion, like trying to pull teeth or squeeze juice from a turnip. It ain't easy as they say. And even though Yammie gives a Board the ability to update itself over the internet doesn't necessarily mean that that particular feature will be used to its utmost potential as we've found out with the Tyros and the misgivings had with the PSR 2000 fiasco.

I can't speak for other companies though but from what I've heard and 'seen' Roland and Korg seem to be very motivated in addressing issues and even adding feature additions and enhancements to their current Flagships. May it ever be so! Yamaha in my opinion needs to get on the Bandwagon in that regards.

So what we as customers have to do (what I do anyway) is play the waiting game until the Big Three and or others 'catch up' to what I/We are wanting as far as features and abilities in a keyboard go, and then and only then will I 'bite' the "lure" and take the bait to what they have to offer. And with Yamaha I can never be assured that they will actually support their product beyond what is available right out of the Box with any degree of certainty and satisfaction. So it's basically pay and 'pray'. And because of that I am a little leery to shell out my hard earned money to them again.

I wish I didn't have to feel that way about Yammie but unfortunately I do because of their inconsistent track record...

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Sorry for going off on a tangent but thanks for bearing with me. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-15-2005).]

#119455 - 10/15/05 11:48 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Ohrenarzt Offline

Spalding, you are very wrong. All Yamaha products use only the polyphony required for a certain velocity layer. Even if a voice would consist of 128 mono velocity layers, a Yamaha product would use the polyphony of 1, not more.
I am really wondering where you got that wrong information and even worse, why it’s spread here.

#119456 - 10/15/05 12:12 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
silva Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
but unfortunately it is already an established fact that the Pa1X/PRO experiences note drop outs as confirmed by more than one of our SZ members who own the Pa1X/PRO.

Hi keybplayer
Are you sure they have a PA1X/PRO? I have had a PA1X about 16 monts and I never experienced such things. You must accept that it´s very hard to beat PA1X/PRO. Maybe it´s time to purchase one
Regards
Franky

#119457 - 10/15/05 01:18 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Spalding is close to being right as Ohrenartz is too.

Yamaha uses layered tones to make up most of their better sounds...these are not velocity switched to the point that only one voice polyphony is used at any particular time...Matter of fact most are 2 or 3 partials[tones] at a time..
The Yamaha 128 polyphony is a false assurance that you will not get drop outs...Drop outs are plentiful on the Yamaha..I would venture to say the Korg's 62 with it's allocation and usually no more than 2 partials at any given time are equal to the Yamaha's 128[using often 4 partials]..
I think Korg has priority set up better than the Yamahas also..
Both Korg and Yamaha can take a lesson from Roland on how to get the most out of polyphony limits..

BTW..when it comes to polyphony,the big test is how the unit handles playing over a voice heavy sequence..This is when you use voices up,,there is no getting away from it..Allocation is based on priority and here it will show...again Roland leads the way..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 10-15-2005).]

#119458 - 10/15/05 03:27 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I can't explain the polyphony issue any better than it's already been said here.

What I can tell you is that when I had the PSR2000, with 64 notes of polyphony, and played the same pieces on it that I played on my PA80, with 62 notes of polyphony, in comparison, I often noticed dropouts on the 2k but not the PA80.

I often used the exact same styles, as I converted and interchanged my favorites from both boards.

One of my chief complaints with the original Motif classic ( also a Yamaha board with 64 notes of poly ) was a noticeable dropout when I played over sequences. It was more than adequate however, when I played it as a solo instrument.

And yes, I still experience the occasional dropout when playing over a sequence on the ES, and it's 128 notes of polyphony. It isn't nearly as often as when I had the "classic" though. I have rarely had this experience with my PA80 btw.

AJ

#119459 - 10/16/05 12:53 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
spalding Offline

ps i bought my new PA1X for half the price of a new Tyros 2

#119460 - 10/16/05 05:47 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Dnj Offline

On the Yamaha 3k I also have noticed some note drop off on certain styles, such as some converted G70 ones which BTw are fantastc but obviously are made for & sound best in a G70.....

#119461 - 10/16/05 03:10 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
dschultze Offline

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great replies. I'll try to answer some of the questions that popped up:

I didn't get an opportunity to put the Roland to the test unfortunately. It would have been interesting to pitch all three together and see how they faired.

With regard to the 76 key issue, yes it factors into my final choice but it wasn't relevant for the purposes of comparing the Tyros 2 and the PA1X as both are 61 key. Historically I've had to live with 61 keys as bigger keyboards have always been in short supply and this would seriously narrow down my choice. I'd rather concentrate on the overall sound and functionality than to buy a "second rate" 76 note board just because it has more keys. I'm not saying that using octave shifts and sound edits doesn't bug the life out of me but at the end of the day nobody can physically hear how many notes are on my keyboard. For me the sound is more important than the number of keys as I like to think I'm musically skilled enough to "work" around a smaller board. Fortunately with the Korg I have the choice of the Pro should I choose this option.

I didn't experience any problems with polyphony on the Korg. I didn't perform any specific tests but I did try to create drop out situations by layering several sounds over detailed backings and playing some full chords up top. As I said - didn't notice any drop outs. I must admit to being a little bit skeptical about bare statistics these days as my Technics KN7K is 128 note polyphony and I can get it to drop out easily. I guess until someone comes out with a 512 note poly board we'll always be bantering this poly thing around (and even then someone will probably come up with a killer arrangement that causes drop outs).

The comments about the endings were interesting as there were a couple of occasions that I thought that the intro's, ending's or fills didn't quite fit with the overall style on the Korg. It didn't bother me a great deal but it was there just the same. In relation to the short endings I'm happy to use the fade out or play out my own ending if a short one is required. I guess this comes down to personal opinion as I'm sure that someone else would say they wanted longer endings if Korg produced shorter ones

All of the feedback was much appreciated as in one way or another it's all helping towards making my final decision. I'm hoping to make up my mind sometime soon but I guess it all hinges on whether I need to have another play of a few more great machines

David.

#119462 - 10/16/05 07:21 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Just to contribute my $0.02 to the polyphony discussion:

There are indeed better and worse ways of handling polyphony. Roland and Korg are the better systems; Yamaha is the worse - it has been correctly said that its better sounds use up 4 notes of polyphony (and can use up to 8) per note played. Roland and Korg use max 2. There also seems to be a different way of allocating the dropouts - Korg and Roland do a good job dropping out the notes which are supposed to be quietest - not sure that Yamaha does the same thing. In any case, I know that in Tyros dropouts do happen, especially if you use better quality voices (though would not be a problem if all you were doing was playing sequences with the XG tones).

Nonetheless, even in the better systems, such as Roland and Yamaha use, the laws of arithmetics to apply, and with my G1000, which handles polyphony well, on par with the Korg, dropouts do indeed occur - I am sure that with the 128 poly G70 or even VA7/76 they would not be a problem. However, 64 note polyphony (and even more so, 62 notes of Korg) are not sufficient for a high-end instrument, IMHO. Even if 62 notes of Korg may be as good or better than 128 notes of Yamaha, it is simply NOT ENOUGH. Why should I pay well over $3000 and worry about when the note dropouts will occur? Would you buy a car and drive it knowing that its engine is going to briefly shut down, causing you to lose power on the freeway (my apologies to all Toyota Prius owners)? In the grand scheme of things it is not a big thing, but if you are not bothered by the possibility of this occuring, I am surprised.

The caveat is: the occurrence of not dropouts depends on your style of playing and voice arrangements you use. To me it usually happens when I am playing high-energy dance sets with the people stomping on the dance floor, usually about 150 bpm, with solo voices layering brass and sax, and high-quality piano set up for the left hand, playing arranger styles in intelligent (3+ notes set the chord) mode. Not everyone plays the same way, so for them the note dropouts may not be an issue.

However, for Korg, with its dual sequencers, that alone takes up 32 notes, if they use high-quality voices, or try to sing on top of that, either the note dropouts will occur or 2+2 is not equal 4.

Now, it is all a matter of features vs. price. If Spalding can share with us where we can buy a PA1X for half price of a Tyros, that may indeed be of interest to me.

Regards,
Alex

#119463 - 10/16/05 11:51 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
spalding Offline

One of the cheapest places in the u.k. to buy a korg pa1x (new or used) both with guarantee and delivery is 'Whitley Bay Home Organ centre'.0191-2571-666.Ask for Edna, and prepare to haggle.
Hi-Tech Direct, 57 Harpur St.Bedford.01234-212588.Mob 07957-122650.
Richard. Or Peterborough Organ Centre 01733-313598 also stocks korg keyboards.
Musicland of Bromley (S.E.London) 0208-698-7300.ask for David.

I haggled like there was no tommorrow. Youi'll need to do the same!!

#119464 - 10/17/05 12:22 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
spalding Offline

or go to synthplanet.com and order one for £1700 no haggling but £1000 cheaper tahn a new Tyros 2

#119465 - 10/17/05 06:02 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Booby Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dschultze:
Hi All,

I guess this comes down to personal opinion as I'm sure that someone else would say they wanted longer endings if Korg produced shorter ones

good point :-)

Cheers.

#119466 - 10/17/05 07:04 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
With multiple endings ..there should be no reason not to have both..Most manufacturers do this currently..

#119467 - 10/17/05 03:41 PM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
dschultze Offline

Hi Spalding,

Are you saying that you managed to haggle the price of your PA1X Pro to less than SynthPlanet (£1,700) with any of the UK dealers? I still can't get close with any of them? Am I just not haggling enough or should I expect to pay more than £1,700 for a PA1X Pro in the UK?

Your suggestion of half the price of a Tyros 2 is that I should be seeing somewhere around £1,500.

Your feedback would be much appreciated as I'm pretty set on the Korg now and might order this week if I can finally cut a deal.

Thanks a lot.

David.

#119468 - 10/18/05 03:30 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
You can order a T2 for £2195 from 3 places online - no p/x against this though - and this is before thay have started shipping.

Wait a couple of months and you will see a further reduction in the street price then you can do a fairer price comparison.

I have also used Edna at WBO and she is a tough cookie but gives pretty fair prices

She also provides great support and I am located a long way away from her so if that is important to you then pay that little bit extra.

Regards - KF

#119469 - 10/19/05 12:21 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
spalding Offline

yes dschultze. I did but i was haggling for the PA1x not pro.

#119470 - 10/19/05 05:54 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
dschultze Offline

Hi Spalding,

Thanks. As we talked about in my other post I ordered from one of the dealers you supplied and secured a very admirable discount on the Pro.

David.

#119471 - 10/19/05 08:59 AM Re: Tyros 2 / PA1X comparison review
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:

There are indeed better and worse ways of handling polyphony. Roland and Korg are the better systems; Yamaha is the worse - it has been correctly said that its better sounds use up 4 notes of polyphony (and can use up to 8) per note played. Roland and Korg use max 2. Regards,
Alex

At last nites gig I was playing a big band song "in THe Mood" using a G70 converted style on my 3k.....to my amazement during variation 4, major drop outs could be heard using some brass stabs big time Arggggg!
I deleted the style later on when I got home the 3k couldnt handle it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online