SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#119094 - 06/08/07 12:28 PM MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Dnj Offline

I have decided to keep the SD1+.....I don't want to lose the superior sound of Ketron for my impatience to go back to the Yamaha comfort zone I am use to...although I have a grueling gig schedule...I will be working on the SD1+ intensely..and make it my own day by day.Its an awesome KB ....ya just gott put in the time and effort for perfection.

Stay Well

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-09-2007).]

#119095 - 06/08/07 01:30 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I hear ya

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 06-09-2007).]

#119096 - 06/08/07 02:01 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
zuki Offline

HAHHAHA.............I knew you'd go back to the Yamaha root. Got to admit, nothing compares to the live CLEAN sound that Yammy boards produce.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#119097 - 06/08/07 02:26 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Donny.

Sorry to hear the SD1 isn't working out for you. Good luck with what you get next.

There's always Bontempi

#119098 - 06/08/07 04:14 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny:

Sorry the board isn't working out for you. I'm very interested in hearing why it's just not doing the job.

#119099 - 06/09/07 12:32 AM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
HAHHAHA.............I knew you'd go back to the Yamaha root. Got to admit, nothing compares to the live CLEAN sound that Yammy boards produce.

zuki

Surely you've not played a Wersi OAS 7 instrument in person. If Yamaha is the pinnacle of arrangers we're in big trouble. I've not heard an arranger that can compare to the Wersi, its not even a close competition. The factory sounds on the Wersi are simply stunning and with its open architecure system, you can load any sample or VST you'd like should you require more than the factory sounds.

#119100 - 06/09/07 04:59 AM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Ensnareyou.

The Wersi OAS7 sounds are very good indeed I loved them, however the internal styles are very bland and the T2 styles through the OAA are still not as good as on a T2 itself, although Wersi are certainly getting there by implementing this feature.

As for VST's I tried loads of them and there was far too much faffing about involved to get them to work (many of them didn't work) and half of the time they wouldn't allow saving of sounds. A PC/Mac is still the best bet for VST instruments.
The Wersi does allow the use of Akai and Creamware samples (think it was those I tried) and these were great.

Yamaha and Wersi both have good sounds and features as do all other arrangers, but there is simply not one that's better than the other. Each offers something different for the individual, it's simply a case of what you want to hear and what is your personal preference/taste is at the end of the day.

[This message has been edited by Craig_UK (edited 06-09-2007).]

#119101 - 06/09/07 08:38 AM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I have decided to keep the SD1+.....I don't want to lose the superior sound of Ketron for my impatience to go back to the Yamaha comfort zone I am use to...although I have a grueling gig schedule...I will be working on the SD1+ intensely..and make it my own day by day.Its an awesome KB ....ya just gott put in the time and effort for perfection.

Stay Well

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-09-2007).]

I used to be indecisive.... now I'm not so sure....!

#119102 - 06/09/07 01:32 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Good luck with whatever you decide Donny. I know how tough it is to have a big schedule and a new board to deal with. After many years of being a Roland man, I must say that it's hard to beat the Yamaha OS. I did an outside gig today, a strawberry festival, and although you can't see the Yammy screen in the sun, I have the damn thing memorized. I didn't miss a beat today calling up everything from memory. If I'd had had a new board I think I would have gone home. Anyway, good luck.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#119103 - 06/09/07 08:59 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Diki Online   content

Seriously, Donny... Why not just keep the PSR until you are up to speed on the Ketron? That's what I did when I went from G1000 to G70 (and that's quite a change in OS and sounds and just about everything)... I didn't sell my G1000 until several months later, when I was sure the G70 would do the job.

With your gig schedule, it's not like you can't afford to carry TWO arrangers on the books for a while...

#119104 - 06/10/07 10:16 AM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Dnj Offline

Diki thank you for your concern.....psr,d5 are long gone........its all coming together slowly but surly...my previous Ketron experiences coupled with the Fantastic after sale Support from Dan O is making each performance better & better, I can't thank him enough thru the years...the SD1+ is a TOTL Arranger Powerhouse with so many great features...Fran calmed me down and I'm back on track to along happy musical life with the SD1+ !

L8tr,
I'm off to another Gig a big "FISH FRY" Dinner & Dance!

PS.. btw I enjoyed your two songs you posted ...Very well done!

#119105 - 06/17/07 04:02 AM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Dnj Offline

Man what a jerk I was to even think of getting rid of the SD1+ .....I'm so glad my best buddy Fran calmed me down and subdued my impatience due to GIG scheduling...as did Dan O, AJ .....but now after many gigs & few weeks l8tr & much more familiarity with the OS & navigation its all starting to come together in So many way .....I'm really glad I kept it and performing with it daily....it is really an awesome Arranger Workstation with so many facets & depth, 76 keys, great sounds, styles & editing capabilities which I am learning more about every day.....more to come.

#119106 - 06/17/07 07:35 AM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA

#119107 - 06/17/07 01:04 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
...it is really an awesome Arranger Workstation with so many facets & depth, 76 keys, great sounds, styles & editing capabilities which I am learning more about every day.....more to come.

a sentiment i am agreeing with more and more each day as i become more familiar with how this keyboard works!!
dennis

#119108 - 06/18/07 12:58 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, I'm in the same boat. I was convinced, because the SD-5 came up short (no easy transfer of other sounds...SD-1, etc., a riff feature which is useless, to me, no on-board smooth jazz styles and more), that I was going for a G-70 or an E80. I had the chance to listen to a E-50 over the week-end. While I think the Roland sounds are, in general, better (to my ears, at least) than Yammaha, they still fall shoret of the "in your face" Ketron sounds. The G-70 and E-80 may be better than the E-50, but I can't imagine that the top end Roland boards are as good as Ketron.

The SD-1 is an old design and Audya is probably a year away. Even then, Ketron has a history of introducing a board before it's ready and fixing problems with software updates. That's a pain I've been through before.

The MS-60's I have are dated but serviceable. I might get a Midjay and wait until the Audya is tested and proves to be free of the faults of the SD-5 before I replace the MS-60's. They're going on 14 years old and still great!

No-one ever finds the perfect board.

Damn, this is frustrating!

Russ

#119109 - 06/18/07 01:55 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
a sentiment i am agreeing with more and more each day as i become more familiar with how this keyboard works!!
dennis

Good luck Dennis........
dig deep, ASK Questions, read the manual,
explore all features in depth...work with the EFX trying different Rev settings & Drum rev settings in the Effects section... which makes a big difference on many styles...ketron lets you do the work ....but in the end gratification will prevail!!

#119110 - 06/18/07 01:59 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Donny, I'm in the same boat. I was convinced, because the SD-5 came up short (no easy transfer of other sounds...SD-1, etc., a riff feature which is useless, to me, no on-board smooth jazz styles and more), that I was going for a G-70 or an E80. I had the chance to listen to a E-50 over the week-end. While I think the Roland sounds are, in general, better (to my ears, at least) than Yammaha, they still fall shoret of the "in your face" Ketron sounds. The G-70 and E-80 may be better than the E-50, but I can't imagine that the top end Roland boards are as good as Ketron.

The SD-1 is an old design and Audya is probably a year away. Even then, Ketron has a history of introducing a board before it's ready and fixing problems with software updates. That's a pain I've been through before.

The MS-60's I have are dated but serviceable. I might get a Midjay and wait until the Audya is tested and proves to be free of the faults of the SD-5 before I replace the MS-60's. They're going on 14 years old and still great!

No-one ever finds the perfect board.

Damn, this is frustrating!

Russ

Russ.....I'd stay with ketron being your already familiar with them.....good luck what ever you choose & keep us abreast of your progress ok?

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a job you Love, and you will Never have to Work a day in your life! ”

#119111 - 06/18/07 04:01 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
"No-one ever finds the perfect board"

Russ, I did...in the G70

and the G70 is very much in your face.."real" band sound as the Ketron..

You have plenty of room in your warehouse..go ahead and buy the G70 too..

#119112 - 06/18/07 09:33 PM Re: MINT Ketron SD1+ For Sale or Trade for Tyros 2
Diki Online   content

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
"No-one ever finds the perfect board"

Russ, I did...in the G70

Fran, I WISH the G70 was perfect. You've already found a few shortcomings, there are plenty more to be discovered for the discerning player...

There (IMO) never will be a 'perfect' arranger... just the best one currently available that suits our taste in sounds and OS. That is currently the G70 for me... But when they bring out it's successor, with a Chord Sequencer, and fix the OS and sound blunders (they ARE there, but it's still the best for me, currently), then THAT will be my next arranger. And so on, and so on (about every 5-10 years!)...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online