SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#119023 - 09/02/04 04:25 PM Needs advice in selling
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Hi fellow Synthzoners,
I'm selling now my Korg PA80 online & somebody responded quickly asking my full name, address, cell & home phone saying he likes the kb & he's gonna pay me certified check. He did not even counter-offered. Do you think something is fishy here?
Any thought appreciated.
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#119024 - 09/02/04 04:33 PM Re: Needs advice in selling
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Respond and state your concerns. If the party is (seems) truly interested, then I would provide (or ask for) a phone number and encourage a conversation. Never promise to send anything without first receiving payment or sending COD requiring certified check (money orders are sometimes OK, but often used by scammers too). PayPal can act as a good third party and the cost to the seller is minimal for the security it provides. Good luck. Use your instinct; if it smells like a scam, it probably is a scam.

When I offer to purchase I always provide the phone number for the seller to contact me. This doesn't mean this party is not good; maybe just as inexperienced as you.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-02-2004).]

#119025 - 09/02/04 05:38 PM Re: Needs advice in selling
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
The last time I sold an item online and took a bank cashier's check in payment my bank allowed me to deposit it but would not credit it to my account until it "cleared" the federal reserve bank that served the bank where the cashier's check was issued. In view of this I did not ship the item to the buyer until my bank informed that the cashier's check had cleared and the funds were actually credited to my account.
DVJ

#119026 - 09/02/04 07:13 PM Re: Needs advice in selling
synerjim Offline

I'll respond to him to initiate a conversation & see if he's not into something else.
Thank you Cassp & DVJ for your quick response.
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#119027 - 09/03/04 11:56 AM Re: Needs advice in selling
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Your buyer is wise to research you before sending money. Take it as a sign of a serious buyer!

#119028 - 09/04/04 08:07 PM Re: Needs advice in selling
synerjim Offline

I responded to him saying i prefer PayPal if possible & i can also accept cashier's check but i need to wait to clear that in the bank before sending out the kb. He did not replied until now.
I got another offer today. Seems very interested. Let's see what will happen.
Thanks for all your reply.
Jimmy

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online