SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#119007 - 04/24/03 12:32 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Dreamer do you have the new $300 version of Cool Edit or the older $69 version.

Also maybe someone can explain how to hook the mic to the computer and what extras are involved and the cost to do this. Just a rough estimate.

I'm trying to make up my mind which way . To go the computer route or to get a portable multitrack recorder.
Boo

#119008 - 04/25/03 02:15 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo,
If you just want to hook a mic up to your computer, merely go to the nearest radio shack and buy a short extension cord that has a 1/8-inch mono, male plug at one end, and female connector at the other end that will fit your mic--it's that simple. If you want record something, on the computer, and you have windows ME or something newer, click START, PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, ENTERTAINMENT, THEN CLICK SOUND RECORDER. It's a bare bones recording system for windows. If you want to go beyond that, I've posted instructions at http://psrtutorial.com/Lessons/L_Recording/LPR-MakeCD/lpr-makecd.htm which will lead you through the process step by step. Personally, I think there is a distinct advantage to using computer software over a multi-track digital recorder, but I'm no expert by any means.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#119009 - 04/25/03 11:04 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Boo,
I have the old version of Cool Edit Pro, but I would love to upgrade.
As far as the computer vs. recorder issue, I have used both systems (right now I am using a Yamaha AW2816, which is the little brother of Terry's AW4416, now discontinued): it all gets down to sound quality, that in turn depends on which sound card you have in your computer. A computer based solution offers greater editing abilities (it's really cool to have all those waveforms displayed on your screen, to edit with just a click of the mouse). On the other hand, a digital recorder usually has a better sound quality (frequency response and especially signal/noise ratio) compared with most computer sound cards.
Personally I have found that, with a digital recorder, one tends to concentrate more on playing and less on editing, which is not a bad thing.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 04-26-2003).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online