SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#118997 - 04/18/03 02:07 AM What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
My friend sent me this program and I love itttttt.

for those who dont know, its basically a multi track recorder on your computer, unlike soundforge which is one track only.

I recorded a song on it in less than 30 minutes today (i dont have a manual or anything). I used about 8 tracks including vocals....I tell you this is a great software for you to make a demo of your shows to send out to new clients. Its even a great software to simply put an album out that would emulate you being in a live party.

The reason I love it is cause the results sound live, they are not sequenced (well at least not 100%, but some are since I used the arranger styles) so its not perfect yet it has all the arrangements you want to put in their with ur own playing. What I did is i recorded the arranger section alone first, then added melody, then strings backgrounds, then added more instruments for more arrangments, then finally put my voice on it. Raw material no editting ,sounded better than any live party i ever recorded lol (mix wise at least).

What do u think?

#118998 - 04/18/03 06:17 AM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Does the program allow you to listen to the work you've already completed and record another track at the same time? If so, this is what I've been looking for.

Thanks,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#118999 - 04/18/03 07:07 AM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?

I just finished reading the specs on Sound Forge Vegas-4 and from all outward appearances, it's a great program. Kinda pricey though--on sale at $489 and suggested retail at $699. Gotta think about this one. Maybe she won't find out how much it costs. Nah! The find out everything.

Cheers,

Gary

#119000 - 04/22/03 07:01 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?
Mosiqaar Offline

she being your wife?
Yes the program does allow u to listen to any track that has been recorded while u record a new track...U can also mute tracks and such. It is a very easy program to use, so far I love it.

I just replied to ur email.

[This message has been edited by Mosiqaar (edited 04-22-2003).]

#119001 - 04/22/03 09:15 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?

Yes, after more than four decades with the same woman, I'm convinced she can read my mind--or at least it seems that way.

I have Sound Forge XP-4.5 which is a good program, but it only permits recording on two tracks and you cannot play one while recording the other. Vegas Style sounds like a great program, especially when you're recording vocals as well as background.

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 04-22-2003).]

#119002 - 04/22/03 09:27 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Gary,
I suggest that you try Cool Edit Pro: I have been using it for quite a lot of time and it can record one or more tracks in stereo while listening to ALL the tracks you have previously recorded (the most I have recorded so far are about 18 tracks)

#119003 - 04/22/03 09:35 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?

Thanks Andrea,
Looks like a great program also and the price is sure a lot better. According to the new update information, it can record up to 128 stereo tracks--incredible.

Thanks again,

Gary

#119004 - 04/23/03 03:15 AM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
I prefer Cubase VST or even Cubasis VST which comes free with the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy EX card. For under $250 you get 48KHz 24 bit stereo recording and playback, 6 output channels in Dolby 6.1 surround, SPDIF in and out, firewire i/o, a nice external I/O box with 3 analog stereo ins, onboard dsp effects, unlimited soundfont synth plus you get cubasis VST lite which includes VST instruments (latency <5ms), multiple digital audio tracks AND midi tracks, audio and midi mixing desks, virtual effect racks... the list goes on! Superb!!!

Simon

------------------
forum.svpworld.com ... It's all happening!

#119005 - 04/23/03 12:43 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?

Thanks Simon, I'll look into those programs as well. The programs I currently use, Sound Forge XP 4.5 and Goldwave do not permit you record a music track, then record a vocal track while monitoring the music track. I would be burning a lot more CDs if either one had that capability. The MP3s on my website are all live recordings as are all my promotional CDs.

Thanks Again for your help,

Gary

#119006 - 04/23/03 10:57 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?
Mosiqaar Offline

Gary I sent you another email

#119007 - 04/24/03 12:32 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Dreamer do you have the new $300 version of Cool Edit or the older $69 version.

Also maybe someone can explain how to hook the mic to the computer and what extras are involved and the cost to do this. Just a rough estimate.

I'm trying to make up my mind which way . To go the computer route or to get a portable multitrack recorder.
Boo

#119008 - 04/25/03 02:15 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?

Boo,
If you just want to hook a mic up to your computer, merely go to the nearest radio shack and buy a short extension cord that has a 1/8-inch mono, male plug at one end, and female connector at the other end that will fit your mic--it's that simple. If you want record something, on the computer, and you have windows ME or something newer, click START, PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, ENTERTAINMENT, THEN CLICK SOUND RECORDER. It's a bare bones recording system for windows. If you want to go beyond that, I've posted instructions at http://psrtutorial.com/Lessons/L_Recording/LPR-MakeCD/lpr-makecd.htm which will lead you through the process step by step. Personally, I think there is a distinct advantage to using computer software over a multi-track digital recorder, but I'm no expert by any means.

Cheers,

Gary

#119009 - 04/25/03 11:04 PM Re: What do u think of soundforge VEGAS style?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Boo,
I have the old version of Cool Edit Pro, but I would love to upgrade.
As far as the computer vs. recorder issue, I have used both systems (right now I am using a Yamaha AW2816, which is the little brother of Terry's AW4416, now discontinued): it all gets down to sound quality, that in turn depends on which sound card you have in your computer. A computer based solution offers greater editing abilities (it's really cool to have all those waveforms displayed on your screen, to edit with just a click of the mouse). On the other hand, a digital recorder usually has a better sound quality (frequency response and especially signal/noise ratio) compared with most computer sound cards.
Personally I have found that, with a digital recorder, one tends to concentrate more on playing and less on editing, which is not a bad thing.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 04-26-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online