SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#118824 - 12/07/02 02:47 PM Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
Hi everybody on this very useful forum.

My new SD1 has a little problem and I'd like to know if I could fix it myself...It's not a big deal but it's a problem on this brand new SD1.
I played for a while and I noticed that the pitch wheel doesn't stay exactly on the "0" mark when I let it go. If I touch lightly the pitch wheel on the "0" positin, it moves a little bit and it's more than enough to keep me playing slighlty or even much out of the tone when I use it and then stop using it.
I also noticed another thing about this problem. I guess the SD1 helped me findind the error because sometimes when I turn the SD1 on there is a error message saying "pitch wheel position: not default"... This means the pitch wheel on my keyboard doesn't have a exactly "0" position.

Well... the keyboard is brand new and I can easily trade it but I'll have to wait a week or two and that's a problem to me right now...

If I open the keyboard can I fix this problem myself?...
If I only fix this problem later, out of the warranty, is this problem a big deal to fix or is it easy to fix?...

Please answer me quickly because it's really sad to buy a new keyboard and find this problem...

thanks in advance.

#118825 - 12/07/02 03:07 PM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
trtjazz Offline

Luis,
You open that keyboard and you own it forever...it will void the warranty and I doubt they will take it back for an exchange then either.
Terry

#118826 - 12/07/02 03:22 PM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Luis,
I'm really sorry to hear that you are having problems again. This is inexcusable! These boards just keep coming up with new problems all the time.
I must say Ketron Sd1s Styles are great! And the drums kick ass, but their ongoing problems suck big time...

------------------
Lou

#118827 - 12/08/02 07:08 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
Luis.Santos Offline

Can anyone please tell me what I can do?...

#118828 - 12/08/02 07:44 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Luis,
the SD1 case is not sealed, so you can try to open it carefully. You have to unscrew all the big screws on the sides and the small ones on the rear end, plus a few ones. Do not unscrew the big screws in the middle because they secure the keybed. Then you can try as AJ suggested: reverse the spring and see what happens.
Good luck.

#118829 - 12/08/02 08:15 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
Roel Offline

Luis,

Andrea is right : The SD1 has no 'warranty seals'....
I would open the SD1 right away (because of my profession) but if you are not familiar with delicate electronic equipment you'd better not ! (Many things can go wrong)

The pitch-wheel in most keyboards have 2 springs (one for each direction) It looks like the 'center' mechanism is broken or out of position.
Do both directions still have a 'spring-feel' ? ..... If not, one of them could possibly be traveling in the SD1 (and can cause major damage to the electronic parts.

Fortunately I have not seen the internals of my SD1

Roel

#118830 - 12/08/02 08:50 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
trtjazz Offline

Luis....
In all due respect to all here....that's why you paid for a warranty with the board. The board is a month old? TAKE IT BACK. IMO
Terry

#118831 - 12/08/02 10:14 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hey Luis ,

Perhaps you can tell us how you buy keyboards in your country .

Do you just order items like keyboards sight unseen ?

Is there a store near you ?

Have you ever met the person you bought your keyboard from face to face ?

If I had a problem with my SD1 , I have a repair station that can fix most things within a few days (if a part doesn't need to be ordered) .

Can you fill us in a little ? Dan

#118832 - 12/08/02 06:02 PM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
Luis.Santos Offline

Dan01,
I guess you're thinking I'm a little crazy buying keyboard but you're wrong.
Of course I know the person I bought the keyboard from.
I'll explain: I bought the keyboard, I brought it from the store, still on the closed box, but when I opened it at home I saw some scratches on it (it had arrived to the store that way).
Then I said I wanted a new one and they came to my home, they took the keyboard and in the same day they brought me another new SD1.
This FINAL SD1 has this pitch wheel problem, And maybe you aren't understanding another thing...it's a very little distance problem on the pitch whell, you wouldn't find it at first. I only noticed that because of the error message that sometimes appeared turning the keyboard on saying that the "pich whell position is not default".
And I HAVE the store near me, but they can't fix it, they have to take it to their dealer and I didn't want to wait right now, that's why I'm asking if I can fix it myself.

Have I made myself clear?...

#118833 - 12/09/02 06:54 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Luis.Santos:
Dan01,
I guess you're thinking I'm a little crazy buying keyboard but you're wrong.
Have I made myself clear?...

That's cool . I was just a little curios.
I would have them exchange the keyboard again .

Mail order / internet purchasing is hugh these days . I wasn't out to make you sound crazy . Ketron is hard to find in USA .

Dan

#118834 - 12/09/02 06:59 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
Roel Offline

Luis,
Me thinking you are a bit 'crazy' ? ........ Absolutely not ! (I know you are'nt )

I fully understand your position and I would feel exactly the same you feel.

And ..... did you open it ?

Roel

#118835 - 12/09/02 10:18 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
Luis.Santos Offline

Dan01, I wouldn't buy a keyboard from the internet...

Roel, I was talking to Dan01 about the "crazy keyboard buyer".

About the keyboard... Yes I opened and I fixed that little spring in 5 minutes. The problem was to open the keyboard!

By the way, I sent a mail to Ketron and they answered me the next day morning(monday)... Nice support...

Dreamer, thanks a lot for the help given! If it wasn't you I think I would unscrew the wrong screws!!

Ok people, it's done, thanks everybody!

#118836 - 12/09/02 10:21 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
Luis.Santos Offline

Roel, by the way, the SD1 has only one spring on the pitch wheel.

#118837 - 12/09/02 11:46 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
DanO1 Offline

Was it a spring forward or spring back ?

One day it might have 64 spring polyphony ?

dano

#118838 - 12/09/02 11:48 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
Roel Offline

Luis,
Great job.... and only one spring.... as I wrote : 've not seen the internals of the SD1 !

I'm curious : Was the spring defective or just 'out of position' ?

Roel

#118839 - 12/09/02 11:56 AM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I believe it's 'spring' forward and 'fall' back . . . either way, as they say in the song:

"Spring can really hang you up the most".

Scott

#118840 - 12/09/02 02:44 PM Re: Anybody please help me in my new SD1(brand new) problem...
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I believe it's 'spring' forward and 'fall' back . . . either way, as they say in the song:

"Spring can really hang you up the most".

Scott

Well .......spring a ling a ding a ling !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online